Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your best guess: where does Liriano end up?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries

What's your best guess: where does Liriano end up?

I was asked this morning on KFAN where I thought Liriano would end up. I replied Atlanta; I don't think they'll get Greinke (the Rangers will) and they'll turn to Liriano. But there are literally another 10 choices:

Red Sox
    Angels
    Rangers
    Blue Jays
    Dodgers
    Orioles
    Nationals
    Mets
    Blue Jays
    and of course, the Twins.

If you have to pick a team, who would it be?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Orioles, for one of Arreita, Matusz or Tillman and some B prospects.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the last few weeks I might have mentioned Liriano to the Yanks for a package built around David Phelps. As of now that seems like a super stretch. I still think he will go to the NYY but not for much.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    I'm guessing Baltimore - Matusz, Tyler wilson, and Robert Hinton. Trying to be optimistic.

I would actually say Giants but there is a part of me that would like them to sign him to a two or three year deal if it is a good deal for the Twins financially

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A team not in the list: Pirates in a package with Span for two of the young Pirates' pitching prospects plus a hitting prospect.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 2,200 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Something tells me Angels... Too bad that something is always questionable.

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised with Atlanta at all. But the Angels or the Orioles would be my other two choices for destinations.

I really don't know what any of those clubs would end up giving us for him, as there have been a lot of names thrown out there.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Nowhere. I'm beginning to think Liriano stays put and is offered that 1-year deal in hopes of obtaining the draft pick.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    A team not in the list: Pirates in a package with Span for two of the young Pirates' pitching prospects plus a hitting prospect.
    I like this idea best but with the promotion of Marte, the Pirates have improved thier OF and leadoff spot. Perhaps the Liriano/Span combo could be dangled to the Rangers or Nationals.

My bet is also with the Angles. Last report was they somehow thought they could get James Shields for Peter Bourjos and Hank Conger. That's a pretty lowball offer. They'll continue to refuse to give up anything of real importance and will settle for Liriano. I'll bet the Twins get someone(s) who we have yet to consider. Maybe Cam Bedrosian, the front office love the sons of former Twins.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I was asked this morning on KFAN where I thought Liriano would end up. I replied Atlanta; I don't think they'll get Greinke (the Rangers will) and they'll turn to Liriano. But there are literally another 10 choices:

Red Sox
    Angels
    Rangers
    Blue Jays
    Dodgers
    Orioles
    Nationals
    Mets
    Blue Jays
    and of course, the Twins.

If you have to pick a team, who would it be?
    Are the Blue Jays the favorite because they're mentioned twice? :P

I think the Rangers are going to make a move on a pitcher, but without bending on including Ort or Perez, they're going to miss out on the big fish (Greinke and Shields). I think that leaves Liriano and the Twins. I don't know what the cost would be, but I'm going to throw out high-A SP Roman Mendez and rookie-league SS Luis Marte.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Cleveland Native Americans.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Atlanta or NY.

Liriano goes to Texas because Texas doesn't want to deal with Greinke's mental issues. I suspect Greinke would rather not have to deal with the Texas market. I also think Texas will avoid Greinke because they already have enough trouble riding herd on Josh Hamilton.

I think Liriano would benefit greatly pitching under the likes of Nolan Ryan.

Because I've a perfect track record with my predictions, I'm quite sure I'm wildly wrong.
    Last edited by Blake; 07-27-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: redundant redundancies

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Nowhere, because "we didn't think any of the offers were fair for a player of Liriano's stature and abilities. We hope to re-sign him, as we look forward to building a better rotation in 2013. Go buy some tickets". But then, I'm having a crappy work week, so maybe I'm just jaded.....really, I think he ends up in Anaheim/LA/whatever they are called. And we'll go "that's all he could get"....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Nowhere, because "we didn't think any of the offers were fair for a player of Liriano's stature and abilities. We hope to re-sign him, as we look forward to building a better rotation in 2013. Go buy some tickets". But then, I'm having a crappy work week, so maybe I'm just jaded.....really, I think he ends up in Anaheim/LA/whatever they are called. And we'll go "that's all he could get"....
    That's my prediction too - to the Angels, maybe for a so-so AA starter and Jim Hoey II.

The Braves seem like the most obvious answer.......which is why I say it'll be the Dodgers. Liriano for some projected mid-rotation starter and we'll all be happy with that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I didn't really feel like making a new thread for this but I guess Perkins is drawing some interest. From Jon Morosi tweeted "Heavy interest in #Twins lefty Glen Perkins. He's been dealing this month, good contract. MIN asking price very high."

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I like this idea best but with the promotion of Marte, the Pirates have improved thier OF and leadoff spot. Perhaps the Liriano/Span combo could be dangled to the Rangers or Nationals.
    I'm hoping that the promotion of Marte causes Cincinnati to overreact and give up many prospects for Span. That or Span stays around. But the overpay would be good too.

I think that the Twins would probably get more overall by not packaging Span and Liriano together. But I could be terribly wrong as well.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Baltimore for one of their "failed" starters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast