Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Romy Jimenez

Romy Jimenez

Formerly Romy Trinidad, this 21 yr old OF has been tearing up the APP Lg to little fanfare from us.
    Signed as an undrafted 17 yr old out of Dominican, the righthanded hitting OF spent the next 2 yrs in the DSL & last yr in GCL. In those 3 yrs, he has only gotten 308ABs (28 last yr).....is this the reason he is still in ELIZ @ 21??
    He is currently the league leader (thru July 26) in BAve (.370), Slgg (.670), RBI (33), 2nd in OBP (.448) TBases (67) & doubles (10), 3rd in runs (26), 6th in HR (6), hits (37)
    So is Romy just a flash in the pan due to APP Lg hitting prowess or is he a legit late blooming prospect??
    If he was a collegiate, this woulda been the summer he was drafted & if we drafted him in June.....would he be thought of differently

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    So is Romy just a flash in the pan due to APP Lg hitting prowess or is he a legit late blooming prospect??
    Thats the million $ question isn't it. There seems to be a reletively unknown player every year who has a breakout season in the Appy league. It will certainly be worth following him next year when he plays with Beloit.

not a prospect....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he was 19 and ripping up Elizabethon, I'd call him a propsect. At 21, he's probably near the bottom of the top 40. Appy league numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt, especially when the player isn't young for the league.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    If he was 19 and ripping up Elizabethon, I'd call him a propsect. At 21, he's probably near the bottom of the top 40. Appy league numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt, especially when the player isn't young for the league.
    I agree with ya but.....college first rounders this year
    Mike Zunino, taken 3rd by SEA, is 21 & playing the short season Northwest Lg & tearin it up
    Tyler Naquin, taken 14th, is 21 & playin short season NY Penn Lg (.288BAve .808OPS)
    James Ramsey, taken 23rd by St Lou, is 22, playing in Florida St Lg....hitting .267 w/ .738OPS
    Devin Marrero, 24th by BOS, is 21 & playing in short season NY Penn Lg & doin ok (.286BAve/.766OPS)
    Richie Schaeffer, 25 overall by SEA, is 21 playin Ny Penn Lg....2 gms only
    Victor Roarche, taken 28th by MIL, is 21 Sept 17th & is DLd....hasnt played yet
    Brian Johnson, taken 31st by BOS, is 21 & hasnt played yet

Is there a difference in age/short season leagues than this years first rounders???

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 733 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    that I wouldn't know... I just know that every year people put up video game stats in Elizabethon, and more often than not, they fall on their face in Beloit. The ones that do it at a younger age tend to be the ones that succeed at higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    that I wouldn't know... I just know that every year people put up video game stats in Elizabethon, and more often than not, they fall on their face in Beloit. The ones that do it at a younger age tend to be the ones that succeed at higher levels.
    again, im 100% with ya......till i see it in Beloit, i dont truly buy it.

Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I agree with ya but.....college first rounders this year
    Mike Zunino, taken 3rd by SEA, is 21 & playing the short season Northwest Lg & tearin it up
    Tyler Naquin, taken 14th, is 21 & playin short season NY Penn Lg (.288BAve .808OPS)
    James Ramsey, taken 23rd by St Lou, is 22, playing in Florida St Lg....hitting .267 w/ .738OPS
    Devin Marrero, 24th by BOS, is 21 & playing in short season NY Penn Lg & doin ok (.286BAve/.766OPS)
    Richie Schaeffer, 25 overall by SEA, is 21 playin Ny Penn Lg....2 gms only
    Victor Roarche, taken 28th by MIL, is 21 Sept 17th & is DLd....hasnt played yet
    Brian Johnson, taken 31st by BOS, is 21 & hasnt played yet

Is there a difference in age/short season leagues than this years first rounders???

I think the difference is this is Romy's fourth year of professional ball and the college first rounders have been pros for about a month. Granted, he's only had 308 ABs and probably has had some adjustments to a different culture and language, but he should be more comfortable and focused than your average 21 year old millionare who is a few games into his pro career. But as you stated, let's see how he does in Beloit.

anyone hear what the injury to Jimmenez was??
    Hasnt played since July 26 & heard Jim Rantz....when announcing the Buxton promotion....say it was do to an OF injury in ELIZ
    Guy has not been able to stay healthy & play.....too bad