Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Money Can't Buy You ---

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    They could have saved the Twins 4 million dollars with the simple phone call.
    Does it just become second nature at some point to exaggerate, stretch, or lie when the actual facts don't quite support what you're selling? Or is it a conscious choice each time?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Does it just become second nature at some point to exaggerate, stretch, or lie when the actual facts don't quite support what you're selling? Or is it a conscious choice each time?
    I don't know what the hell you're talking about...but I assume you agree wiith me that Marquis was destined to fail the moment the pen hit the paper on that contract.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    We agree on Erin for sure.....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Their system hasn't been garbage for too long, they have just had too many injuries to too many pitching prospects to have a good supply line up to the Bigs
    Yes, all of the Twins' amazing pitching prospects have gotten injured.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Ouch. I have noticed the trend too and I must say that was 3rd degree stuff right there!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This year's payroll is in line with their status as a middle market and revenue team. I agree that it is not the problem or solution.

The solution is to rebuild a farm system that had declined since 2009. It can't be changed on a year but there are some encouraging signs. The organization has some respected prospects at 20 and younger. I understand more money has been put into the system. The coaching changes seem to be going the right direction.

Unfortunately, we won't see the fruits of the system next year. So what will Ryan do?

Will he try to build a .500 team next year by signing some decline phase players to team friendly contracts? I think that was this year's plan. Looks like next year's too. The first move was signing Doumit.

Will he sell high his decline phase player assets with an eye on 2014 and beyond?

We will find out soon.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I think you mean "reasonable" for a "proven closer".
    "Reasonable", for a "proven" "closer".

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    We agree on Erin for sure.....
    Oh yes we do.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    it was the twins way , in signing soft tossing (88-91 mph) pitchers believing that a staff of brad radkes would take them to the promised land and would'nt cost as much as real pitchers.....
    not saying brad was a bad pitcher, brad pitched till his arm fell off, but not every pitcher is a brad radke and 5 brad radkes just dont cut it on 1 team .....as for signing and drafting they have done terrible for the last decade only having 1 good season . the twins had a chance to spend money signing international players this spring , and adding to a barren minor leaque , but instead they waited till there was a spending limit...
    pohlad will always take the cheap way over and over again . the way rich people get rich is by not spending money, they expect to be over paid ,but short change there own employees.. this off season terry ryan offered all 4 of the twins free agents contract , but each had to take a pay cut .....only matt "the crapper" accepted this is the twins way....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem is that there was 1 Brad Radke. Guys like him walk a fine line. He did it for a career, but far more fail than succeed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our current state of the team comes down to a few defining trades more than anything.
    Santana to the Mets eventually helped us get pieces needed in 2010 but afterwards we have virtually nothing to show for it. Santana hamstrung us on that trade so it doesn't hold as much weight as some of the others.

Garza and Bartlet for Young. This one hurt as we could have recieved sooo much more for Garza had we just been patient.

JJ Hardy for nothing.

Wilson Ramos for Capps. This one is allieviated a little since Doumit has performed and is relatively inexpensive. But we could have a more useful piece for Ramos too.

These trades happened at the same time the team wasn't gaining etra draft picks for losing players to FA and the team was drafting lower due to the previous years record.

These things resulted in us not replenishing our farm system fully. I bet we have a deep farm system again within 2 years because of trades, higher drafting spot, extra draft picks, and larger international budgets.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    No, the current state of the team comes down to not having any impact players come up from the minors in the last 3-4 years. Not one pitcher, and a bunch of maybes in Valencia, Revere, and Plouffe. Yes, the trades were awful, but the farm system has been pretty much useless. This is due to awful drafting and developing, not just bad trades.

Also, they signed Marquis and Capps, instead of using that money to sign a legit starting pitcher. Also, they didn't trade veterans last year when they had the chance. So far, it sounds like they are being unrealistic in their demands this year, we'll see in a few days.

But this is largely a problem with drafting (and the Garza trade, which is the worst of all of those trades).
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12