Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heyman: Twins still are not willing to deal Willingham

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Heyman: Twins still are not willing to deal Willingham

A tweet by CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman shows what the Twins front office's mindset is right now:

Heyman.JPG
    I know from a public relations standpoint, trading Willingham would cause a firestorm among fans but in terms of gaining the most value, outside of this coming offseason, Willingham's value may never be higher. He's got a friendly contract but he's also 33 years old and has had a history of injuries throughout his career. Additionally, those power numbers are likely to regress too. At 25% HR/FB, that's well above his career norm of 16% and due from some drainage. His style is conducive to Target Field but it is not like we are talking about him playing in Fenway Park. While he may be able to provide good value in the next two years, it is not likely going to be at this current pace.

Trade, or don't trade? Why or why not?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Trade, trade, trade. They stink, they stunk last year, they'll stink next year. Why NOT deal him?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins will have a hard time selling those outfield seats next year if they don't have at least 1 guy who can hit the ball out there once in a while. Willingham stays.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm leaning towards maybe trading him now...doubtfull he has this kind of yr again, would need a top stater prospect though and a good middle infield prospect as well as 1 or two mid level guys preferably pitchers.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    No problem with trading him (or anyone else) for the right deal.

He was a good signing for the Twins this off-season. Now they need to take advantage of the signing they made.

Look to 2014 and beyond not 2013.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    Trade him if someone offers a good deal but they shouldn't trade him for 70 cents on the dollar. It seems that some teams think the Twins should trade him just b/c a prospect will help some future team.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Trade him if someone offers a good deal but they shouldn't trade him for 70 cents on the dollar. It seems that some teams think the Twins should trade him just b/c a prospect will help some future team.
    Exactly! I'm sick of people thinking the Twins should just blow up the team for a future that may never come! I am all for trading Willingham, but he has been killing it with little help behind him in the line-up. To get that production, a team needs to pony up. Why should the Twins feel the need to let him go for any less than a superb package?

Senior Member All-Star
    Sigh, where has anyone in this thread said "trade him for 70 cents on the dollar". No one has said that. What we've said, is that he should be dealt if they can get a fair return. We've also repeatedly pointed out, that even with him, they stink, just like last year, even with a healthy and awesome Mauer.....Look, I spent years saying the Twins should deal prospects while they had great teams to close holes, I'm not a play for the future that will never come kind of guy, but this team isn't 1 player away, or even 3 or 4. This team is one of the worst teams in baseball two years in a row, with no immediate help in the minors to close their weaknesses. Their only strength in the minors is in the OF, a place where they are already pretty good.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Trade, trade, trade. They stink, they stunk last year, they'll stink next year. Why NOT deal him?
    Agree 100%

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It seems that teams are hot and heavy for Josh, be stupid not to atleast take offers.

Liked 659 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    A tweet by CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman shows what the Twins front office's mindset is right now:

Heyman.JPG
    I know from a public relations standpoint, trading Willingham would cause a firestorm among fans but in terms of gaining the most value, outside of this coming offseason, Willingham's value may never be higher. He's got a friendly contract but he's also 33 years old and has had a history of injuries throughout his career. Additionally, those power numbers are likely to regress too. At 25% HR/FB, that's well above his career norm of 16% and due from some drainage. His style is conducive to Target Field but it is not like we are talking about him playing in Fenway Park. While he may be able to provide good value in the next two years, it is not likely going to be at this current pace.

Trade, or don't trade? Why or why not?
    If it brings quality arms into the organization in return... Yes... The Twins need pitching... All this shopping of players at the trade deadline is fun and to try and shop along with them is a great way to pass time. But... In the end... You can't lose focus on the primary reason for the shopping. Pitching... Pitching and more Pitching... If Willingham is the price to bring talented arms into the organization. Yes by all means.

If it doesn't bring quality arms into the organization... No Way... I don't think he's a flash in the pan. He has legit power and we don't have a replacement for that. He's ours lets keep him. No reason to dump his salary.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
    We are in last place with him if you get an offer you can't refuse do it! Before this team is good again without a lot of new talent he'll be retired.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Sigh, where has anyone in this thread said "trade him for 70 cents on the dollar". No one has said that. What we've said, is that he should be dealt if they can get a fair return. We've also repeatedly pointed out, that even with him, they stink, just like last year, even with a healthy and awesome Mauer.....Look, I spent years saying the Twins should deal prospects while they had great teams to close holes, I'm not a play for the future that will never come kind of guy, but this team isn't 1 player away, or even 3 or 4. This team is one of the worst teams in baseball two years in a row, with no immediate help in the minors to close their weaknesses. Their only strength in the minors is in the OF, a place where they are already pretty good.
    When I said that I'm sick of "people" suggesting a trade of 70 cents on the dollar, I should have been more specific. I was referring to some reporters (like Bowden) who are suggesting the Twins give away their players for anything less than great offers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Ah, well, I'm no Bowden fan, so I get that.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It all depends on what they will get in return. Lets not forget that Willingham is not getting any younger and his fielding projects at DH...

That said, I find it interesting that this un-named "Twins' person" directly contradicted what the interim GM said openly a few days ago (i.e. that they are listening on anybody.) Either someone is lying (maybe trying to increase Willingham's value) or they are not all on the same page. On the other hand, Stark reported yesterday that the Twins have a really really high price on Willingham (as told by a rival GM) which means that at least they are talking, which means that Heyman's tweet is garbage (or that mystery Twins' person is out of the loop)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
    They certainly have played like a farm team the last year and a half so I can see how it could be confusing.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 338 Times in 192 Posts
    This is an awful, awful mistake not to at least field offers.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure he's fielding offers, but he's probably also asking for the stars... that's partly a negotiation thing as I suspect he will come down in price... but it's better than the previous guy who would flip him for the other team's nick blackburn.

Trade him right now!! Get a stud pitcher that is in high A somewhere for him along with a B prospect in AA and be VERY HAPPY!! They should have done this last year with Cuddyer and Kubel instead we got draft picks that are at least five years away!! I would like to see who the twins have drafted as supplemental picks that have panned out? That would show us the real value of getting draft picks for losing FA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast