Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Bowden: Twins should trade Liriano, Burton, Morneau & Willingham to Giants

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jim Bowden: Twins should trade Liriano, Burton, Morneau & Willingham to Giants

http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office

This is insider only, unfortunately, so tread lightly on pulling passages. But you can see the proposed deal for free at the top of the story:

Minnesota Twins send Francisco Liriano, Jared Burton, Justin Morneau, Josh Willingham and cash to the San Francisco Giants for Brandon Belt, Kyle Crick, Mike Kickham and Heath Hembree
    Crick was mentioned by Nick in today's Trade Target Team Series.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sure Jim Bowden, that totally make sense.

Why SF needs another outfielder after getting great run outta Pagan, Melky and Blanco I don't know. But who cares...you're Jim Bowden. You work for the four letter network, you don't have to make sense.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Seems like a lot to give up for us.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Not exactly their top prospects, according to pre-season rankings at fangraphs...at work, can't check how they are playing this year...Not sure how I feel about Belt, frankly.
    Lighten up Francis....

I just saw this also. I don't know enough about these prospects, but Burton and Willingham have to have a lot of value, and isn't Belt somewhat redundant with Parmalee in AAA? (I realize that Belt is probably a better player)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is a horrible trade proposal for the Twins. Just wow!

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDTwinsFan View Post
    I just saw this also. I don't know enough about these prospects, but Burton and Willingham have to have a lot of value, and isn't Belt somewhat redundant with Parmalee in AAA? (I realize that Belt is probably a better player)
    Not that it matters, but I'd take Belt over Parmelee.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Pohlads would lose a ton of cash in this deal immediately and next year and the next year, and more yet if those prospects don't pan out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Pass. I guess I'll play the homer, but that should be the return for Willingham and his awesome contract alone. Only one of the Giants top ten prospects and the under-achieving Brandon Belt? Pass. The best prospect included in that deal is a reliever, no thanks. The Giants just do not have the starting pitching quality to match up with the Twins. Giving up four established players and only getting back 2 minor league starters, only one of which is in the organizations top 20, seems laughable.

Edit: Time to give Terry Ryan a criticism break for the day. If Ryan steps down as GM again, obviously the Twins could do much worse.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 07-26-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Not that it matters, but I'd take Belt over Parmelee.
    I'm thinking most people would, but we need pitching so I don't understand why Belt is a good get with Parmalee as a "low cost 1B option" too. I hope that nothing like this actually happens.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Would getting Gary Brown change things? Or are there any young arms that would help?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Yup, in looking, not a fan of this deal, unless they Twins pay zero dollars, even then I don't like it....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah right! ...would need onf their starters NOT named Lincecum, and even then I'm not sure.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Let me switch this up a bit. What if the Twins traded Liriano, Burton and Morneau, but not Willingham. And what if the Giants had to pay all of Morneau's salary.

Then what would it take? (I gotta be honest - the Giants farm system seems really weak. It's hard to find a good package here.)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Bowden continues to show he is an idiot. Hard to believe he got hired in the first place, by the Reds or ESPN.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,296 Times in 522 Posts
    ESPN doesn't exactly have the highest standards, I can understand it completely.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins make this deal, do they get the entire roster for the Giants' AA and A+ ball affiliates?

Because given the state of the Giants farm, that's what it should take.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I know, let's take it this way. Since everybody wants "change", we could hire Bowden as our GM and Dan Gladden as our manager. Bowden brings his willingness to trade current talent for minor league "prospects" and Gladden brings his folksy, beer drinking, grittiness. It's a win for everybody!

(Excuse me while I go waterboard myself)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Sure Jim Bowden, that totally make sense.

Why SF needs another outfielder after getting great run outta Pagan, Melky and Blanco I don't know. But who cares...you're Jim Bowden. You work for the four letter network, you don't have to make sense.
    great run? Melky is having a great year but the Giants are 23rd in the league in slugging and 21st in runs scored. Blanco .248/.341/.369 isn't helping out in RF. You don't think they would like a Willingham: .271,.384/.563? Melky Cabrera is a FA after this year and is going to cash in so long term Willingham has a spot too. This deal might not make sense but it isn't because of SF outfield.

That said I think the Twins would be fools to take this trade.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jim Jim Jim. You must not have a very high opinion of your readers intelligence. The twins give up two high quality players, one of which should have been an all-star. And two "wild cards" with massive upside, one capable of MVP caliber play and the other capable of becoming a legit ace. You are selling this as a trade that benefits both buyer and seller? Laughable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast