Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Arcia the best prospect in the system?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is Arcia the best prospect in the system?

As some BYTOers know, I've been really high on Arcia for a long time now. He's just a few months into his 21st birthday and is mashing at New Britain. He's posting a .943 OPS overall with a 1.078 OPS in July. In his last ten games, he's OPSing at a whopping 1.138. He only has a couple of months at AA and has certainly hit the ground running.

Is it time to start putting this kid on the same level as Sano? Oswaldo just keeps getting better and better. I've long thought that he was the second best prospect behind Sano but now I'm starting to think he may be on the same level due to his young-ish age for AA and his continued progression through the system.

I think the answer is yes. Even if Arcia regresses a little in August, it still will have been a fantastic season for him.
    When I do my top 10 prospect rankings over the winter, it's going to be a tough decision choosing between Arcia and Sano.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

I agree that he should at least be considered equal to Sano if not a spot ahead. It looks as though Arcia has adjusted well at each level while Sano has shown his power tool, but he still need's plenty of work refining his approach or contact skills, whichever is causing all the K's!

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking about him yesterday. Arcia's pretty exciting – kid can straight mash. Reminds me of Jason Kubel as a prospect. I'd still rank him behind Sano and maybe Rosario, but he's on the rise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem25 View Post
    I agree that he should at least be considered equal to Sano if not a spot ahead. It looks as though Arcia has adjusted well at each level while Sano has shown his power tool, but he still need's plenty of work refining his approach or contact skills, whichever is causing all the K's!
    To be fair to Miguel, he's two years younger than Arcia and only one level behind him in the system.

And until recently, Arcia was a K monster himself. A good sign is that he's struck out 20 times in 80 ABs in July and only 5 times in the past ten games. Hopefully the trend continues to move downward as he continues to adjust to the new level.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I was thinking about him yesterday. Arcia's pretty exciting Ė kid can straight mash. Reminds me of Jason Kubel as a prospect. I'd still rank him behind Sano and maybe Rosario, but he's on the rise.
    I also think of Jason Kubel (pre-knee injury) when thinking of Arcia, though it seems that Oswaldo is better defensively... After all, he stuck at CF for quite awhile until he was promoted to the same level as Benson and Hicks.

Interesting on the Kubel comparisons -- when I watched the video of Arcia's walk-off home run last week, the swing actually reminded me a little of Kubel's.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Tough call, I'd say that Arcia is closer to Sano than many of us thought he'd be. Success at a higher level (and it is really 2 levels, not 1), is a big deal to me. That said, Hicks may be back to number 1 by the end of the year. Between Hicks and Arcia (and hopefully Benson), that's why I'm more than willing to trade Span and Willingham right now (because I don't really care about this year anymore).
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Success at a higher level (and it is really 2 levels, not 1), is a big deal to me.
    Derp derp, you're right. Two levels. Apparently I forgot about this little place called "Ft Myers".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Arcia will probably sneak into some 'professional' prospect lists in the 50-80 range but that'll still leave him behind Sano, Buxton and probably Rosario. Hicks could jump him as well. But he's an intriguing prospect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Arcia will probably sneak into some 'professional' prospect lists in the 50-80 range but that'll still leave him behind Sano, Buxton and probably Rosario. Hicks could jump him as well. But he's an intriguing prospect.
    It's going to be damned hard to ignore a 21yo that puts up a 1.000 OPS in AA. In my opinion, that should weigh a lot more than "toolsy with potential".

Then again, like Mike, I've always put an emphasis on upper level performance over tools.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    With Hick's recent resurgence I am inclined to put him above Arcia at this point as well. Arcia has to mash in order to be an effective player while Hicks already will be an asset with his fielding, pitch selection and legs alone.

With that said its a good argument to have since both players look like they could be all-star caliber type players in the big leagues.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if I'd put him ahead of Sano or Buxton, but certainly he is the closest to being MLB-ready of any of our top prospects.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we're talking about ceiling alone I guess he would still be behing Sano, Buxton, Hicks and Rosario. But then you factor in his floor, his expected call up time and likelyhood of reaching his potential, I have to put Arcia at the top of the prospects list right now.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd take Hicks up the middle skills over Arica.

But love what's he's been doing.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    With Hick's recent resurgence I am inclined to put him above Arcia at this point as well. Arcia has to mash in order to be an effective player while Hicks already will be an asset with his fielding, pitch selection and legs alone.

With that said its a good argument to have since both players look like they could be all-star caliber type players in the big leagues.
    Who is more likely to be an All-Star? At this point it is Arcia and its not even close. Only way Hicks can pass Arcia is by doing what Arica has done the whole season and Arcia falling off. Don't get me wrong though, Hicks has played very well and the top 5 prospects in the Twins system now look like they will be impact players.

I don't see what is so close about this. Not many players destroy AA like Arcia has done. Sano has shown one dimension so far, and its power. Sano's power potential might be better than Arcia's, but also has a much higher chance of failing. I'll put more weight on performances at higher levels than ceilings every day. If Sano only had one problem there would be a better argument, but he's a question mark in the field and his contact rate is questionable. Sure he can improve, but hard to put him over player that is 21 and OPSing 930 in AA, and over 1000 in the last month.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    I like the numbers Arcia is putting up but there is cause to think he'll come back to earth at some point. He fluctuates between a 20%-25% K rate so his BABIP is driving his batting average. His BABIP has been off the charts at times. At 3 of his stops it has been >.390. That isn't sustainable. However his SLG is certainly intriguing. I guess as far as prospects go I like him but he sure isn't ready for the big show yet.

The Twins outfield prospects seem to be doing very well this year (other than Benson). Arcia made the jump to AA seemlessly, Hicks is finally putting it all together, Revere has graduated from prospect to solid MLB'er heck even Kepler down in E-town is progressing nicely. are there any other orgs. that have as good a group of OF talent?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Who is more likely to be an All-Star? At this point it is Arcia and its not even close. Only way Hicks can pass Arcia is by doing what Arica has done the whole season and Arcia falling off. Don't get me wrong though, Hicks has played very well and the top 5 prospects in the Twins system now look like they will be impact players.

What the hell does being an All-Star have to do with anything?

I don't think it's crazy at all to think that Hicks conbination of hitting, defense, arm & speed could far be more valuable then Arcia's bat and modest defense.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who says his defense is modest? I think I've seen its pretty good.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast