Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Arcia the best prospect in the system?

Would this be fair?
    1. Sano
    2. Buxton
    3. Arcia
    4. Hicks
    5. Gibson

Wish he could draw more walks but i think he's upped his walk rate this season? He seems too make enough contact though since his average has always been good. he also has a good arm in the outfield? His swing reminds me of Kubel. I still think Hicks, Buxton and Kepler would be ahead of him because of defense. Also Arcia struggles hitting lefties

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 308 Times in 150 Posts
    Seems like Hicks has not lived up to the hype but if you look at his stats next to Torii age for age to where Hicks is now he has been better at every level. If he turns out as good as Torii I'd be real happy. Trade Rumor says the O's are looking at Frankie. Not sure what they have to offer back, maybe crab cakes?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Who says his defense is modest? I think I've seen its pretty good.

I wouldn't put him in the Delmon/Willingham class, but I wouldn't put him in the JD Drew class either.

From everything I've read he's a modest defender. Won't kill ya but also don't shock the world.

Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I wouldn't put him in the Delmon/Willingham class, but I wouldn't put him in the JD Drew class either.

From everything I've read he's a modest defender. Won't kill ya but also don't shock the world.
    As long as he isn't Delmon/Kubel/Cuddyer/Willingham I'd say he isn't too bad defensively. I would expect average to slightly above average defense from Arcia.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    As long as he isn't Delmon/Kubel/Cuddyer/Willingham I'd say he isn't too bad defensively. I would expect average to slightly above average defense from Arcia.
    I used modest cause it's a nice in between, not good not bad...just modest defense (which I would be more then happy with)

In the end I'd take Hicks tool and abilities to effect a game while also playing an up the middle position over Arcia. Doesn't mean I don't like Arcia, it's just my personal thing.

Paul Molitor was on radio today talkin minor leagues. Says Arcia still has major holes in his swing on breakin pitches & is over a yr away from bein ready. Surprised by this but still will be stunned if hes not a Sept callup.
    Says Hicks is much closer to bein MLB ready which surprises me as Molly is known to be reluctant to praise younger players....reason he no longer coaches fulltime.
    BJ Hermsen is toppin out @ 86mph but gets guys out.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    BJ Hermsen is toppin out @ 86mph but gets guys out.
    His Blackburn-esqe K-rate and lack of groundball has no chance to succeed in the majors.

Jesus what happened to this kid.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 531 Times in 352 Posts
    Hermsen is a great trade candidate, if you can find a team that believes in success w/o good/great stuff.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Hermsen is a great trade candidate, if you can find a team that believes in success w/o good/great stuff.....
    Like the Minnesota Twins?

Hell the Twins office probably love his lack of stuff but strike throwing ability.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, Hermsen added a mph or two since last year... hopefully that keeps moving up and he can get to 89!

Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Eddie Rosario, Aaron Hicks, Oswaldo Arcia... Arcia has been remarkable and I may not be able to move him up beyond #5. Wow! That said, a case could be made for all five of them in any of those spots. The question marks surrounding Sano are the same question marks surrounding Arcia, breaking balls, defense, strikeouts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Paul Molitor was on radio today talkin minor leagues. Says Arcia still has major holes in his swing on breakin pitches & is over a yr away from bein ready.
    Isn't AA where pitchers are supposed to start finding and exploiting those holes? Lefties don't have much difficulty with him, but I think Molitor's knock is a rather delightful bit of hype for whatever Arcia looks like when he's "ready".

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 531 Times in 352 Posts
    I really do love Seth's optimism. I don't always share it, but I really do appreciate it. one of the reasons I kept going to his site....
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 2,189 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I really do love Seth's optimism. I don't always share it, but I really do appreciate it. one of the reasons I kept going to his site....
    He's steady and he's great balance for this website.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    He could be the best prospect, but I still have him at #5.

Sano has the best power in the minors
    Buxton is a tool shed with huge upside
    Hicks will be an elite defensive CF in range and arm, draws walks, speed
    Rosario seems like he can stay at 2B, great hitter and will get some bags as well

I'll take these four over a solid defensive corner OF with questions on if he can hit lefties. That said, a 21 year old lighting up AA is damn good.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Would this be fair?
    1. Sano
    2. Buxton
    3. Arcia
    4. Hicks
    5. Gibson
    It's fair, but I would definitely have Rosario over Gibson.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    It's fair, but I would definitely have Rosario over Gibson.
    Especially since we have seen very little of Gibson since his return to pitching.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    I'd be more inclined towards

1. Sano
    2. Arcia
    3. Buxton
    4. Hicks
    5. Rosario

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyTwinsFan View Post
    I'd be more inclined towards

1. Sano
    2. Arcia
    3. Buxton
    4. Hicks
    5. Rosario
    you've got the right guys in your top five, but arcia is going to be the third ranked prospect in this system because he doesn't have any 80 tools like sano or buxton.

i was one of two byto'ers to rank arcia our second best prospect coming into the season and i think that's been vindicated. as for a comp, he's got lefty magglio ordonez upside. bobby abreu has been mentioned before when it comes to him, but that's more in relation to his load/swing.

btw, what do you know about our two new aussie arms: sam gibbons and louis thorpe? both look like nice prospects. one day, i'm hopeful we'll have an all aussie rotation at target field....

btw, the real question is this: who's the number six prospect in the system? the top five are pretty easy to figure out, and then comes the void. i'd say no to either benson or gibson and look to either kepler or berrios right now. harrison would also be in play.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast