Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reds Have "Kicked the Tires" on Span

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Pence is gonna make 15 million next season, I don't think Span will make 15 over the remainder of his contract while being a more valuable player then Pence. It's just not a good comp for any potential Span deal.

Funny how Pence goes from fetching two very good prospects in Singleton and Cosart to now people realizing that he's not that good of a player.
    After I saw what Philly got in return for Pence, I retract my previous comments about Span comparison.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So just throwing it out there, both of those propsects would have been nice gets for this organization.... if they had throw in a similar 3rd prospect or MI prospect, would you deal Span for that?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    So just throwing it out there, both of those propsects would have been nice gets for this organization.... if they had throw in a similar 3rd prospect or MI prospect, would you deal Span for that?
    They actually got 3 prospects. The 3rd one is Twin Cities (and U of M) own Seth Rosin who is pitching pretty well in the Giants' organization. But Span should bring more.... The C is the best prospect in this deal and Span needs to bring a SP who is at least that good a prospect (B) or better likely.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cingrani and Gregorious

for Span and Casilla

GET IT DONE TR!!!
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the Victorino return or the Pence return, but either way, my answer is "no". The Twins don't need volume, they need quality. They have plenty of mid level prospects who may or may not turn in to serviceable infielders or back of the rotation starters. At this point, if they aren't able to get high-ceiling starting pitching, regardless of current level of play, there's no point in trading away a starting position player with several years left on a reasonable contract.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    there's no point in trading away a starting position player with several years left on a reasonable contract.
    Sure there is if that player is at the peak of his value and the Twins have a ready in-house replacement. Both of those things are true for Span. Assuming that his value will continue to be steady or rise in the off-season is not true. Injuries etc happen. Got to trade high. But have to get better returns that what Pence and Victorino brought
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    The Marlins just got Zack Cox, BA's preseason #88 for RP Edward freaking Mujica. Ha! Good luck to any of us trying to predict trade scenarios now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Sure there is if that player is at the peak of his value and the Twins have a ready in-house replacement. Both of those things are true for Span. Assuming that his value will continue to be steady or rise in the off-season is not true. Injuries etc happen. Got to trade high. But have to get better returns that what Pence and Victorino brought
    You're assuming you know he's at peak value now. That's no more "true" an assumption than any other assumption. Could he get injured? Sure. He could also go on a tear and increase his value even more. Just because one possibility fits your desire to see him traded now more than the other possibility doesn't make your assumption any more valid. It's a crapshoot either way and taking a lesser deal now just because he might get injured before the offseason would be foolish.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Just saw an MLB Network that Span "Declined" a trade to the Reds. Huh?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chavez View Post
    Just saw an MLB Network that Span "Declined" a trade to the Reds. Huh?
    Yeah saw that Tweeted, too, and "huh?" was my first reaction.

Maybe TR got an offer that he didn't feel was a "must do", but offered Span a choice if he wanted to go to a contender right now? No idea what else it might be. Not aware he had even any partial no-trade rights.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345