Thread: Span for Upton package deal

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Span for Upton package deal

Justin Upton is having a bad season, hitting just .335 wOBA as a corner outfielder. He is owed 38.5m over seasons 2013-2015. He has righthanded pull power.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/deta...27&type=hitter

Denard Span is hitting .320 wOBA, is owed 11.25m over seasons 13-14 with a 9m team option for 2015. He plays premium defense in CF and would be a much better leadoff than Willie Bloomquist. Discuss.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 07-25-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm confused...why would the Dbacks want another OF when they're flush with Kubel, Parra and Young?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't sound like Upton's going anywhere.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I'm confused...why would the Dbacks want another OF when they're flush with Kubel, Parra and Young?
    1. Savings
    2. Fills leadoff spot against RH and LH
    3. improves outfield defense to compensate for Kubel
    4. platoon / PH Parra & Young

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah I still don't see any of those as reason for AZ to want Span back in an Upton deal.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    1. Upton won't be traded til this off-season at the earliest.
    2. Upton has a lot (see a TON) more value then Span, not to mention he is still only 24
    3. The Diamondbacks would want some elite prospects back in return, not a guy like Span.

If the Twins truly wanted Upton (I'm not sure why they would) they would have to give up one of Sano/Arcia and 1 or two of Benson/Hicks/Gibson/Rosario to even get in the conversation.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. Why would the Dbacks want to do this?
    2. Why would the Twins want to do this?

This makes no sense for either team.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    That would sure be like the twins to take on that contract and a guy that may have issues. If he doesn't have issues why would they want to trade a guy with that upside and that young?

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's an interesting thought. It's not crazy. It couldn't be straight up, but if the DBacks are looking to save some money, Span could be part of that package. And I don't think the DBacks are in full "rebuilding" mode - they would probably like a cheaper major league player. I'm not sure where he fits exactly if they're that sold on Parra, however. Span could also be a cheap replacement for Chris Young, who is going to make $8.5M next year (and is hitting .223, albeit w power and patience.)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I think it's an interesting thought. It's not crazy. It couldn't be straight up, but if the DBacks are looking to save some money, Span could be part of that package. And I don't think the DBacks are in full "rebuilding" mode - they would probably like a cheaper major league player. I'm not sure where he fits exactly if they're that sold on Parra, however. Span could also be a cheap replacement for Chris Young, who is going to make $8.5M next year (and is hitting .223, albeit w power and patience.)

To be honest I don't see why they wouldn't be sold on Parra who is basically a cheaper version of Span.