Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade Liriano for what the Pirates gave the Astros for Wandy?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries

Would you trade Liriano for what the Pirates gave the Astros for Wandy?

The Astros get Rudy Owens, a 24 year old LHP who is repeating AAA this season and is 8-5 with 3.14 ERA and 1.168 WHIP, 6.5 K/9 and 3.4 K/BB), Robbie Grossman a 22 year old toolsy CF who is hitting .262/.374/.403 with 7 HRs in AA and Colton Cain a 21 year old LHP who is pitching in high A with 4.20 ERA, 1.240 WHIP, 6.1 K/9 and 2.04 K/BB. Not top 100 MLB prospects and only Grossman was on BA's list of the Pirates' top 10 prospects at number 8. The Pirates also got some $.

If you were the Twins, would you trade Liriano for that?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Absolutely I would take that haul for Liriano!

Is it really worth it to keep him around the rest of the year only to lose him to free agency? Or run the risk of him going back to his old ways so you can't even risk offering him the qualifying offer to gain a draft pick?

At this point any live warm body is worth it unless they can sign him to a VERY, VERY, VERY team freindly deal before the deadline.

Unfortunately, Terry Ryan may have overplayed his hand as there are very few suitors left and more pitchers on the market than initially thought: Johnson, Big Erv, Shields, etc.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hell no. Not a single one of those guys looks to profile to even be an MLB regular. I'd rather keep him in the first place, but if you're going to trade him at least get something worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Hell no. Not a single one of those guys looks to profile to even be an MLB regular. I'd rather keep him in the first place, but if you're going to trade him at least get something worthwhile.
    Keep him for what? So you can lose 98 games instead of 101? I don't understand why you would keep a tradeable asset when you can cash him in for something. I am too risk adverse to gamble that he will be good enough over the last 2 months that the Twins will net the draft pick. And if he sucks down the stretch I surely don't want to make him the 12.5 mil qualifying offer.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    Looked to me like the Astros were going for quantity over quality...I'd probably pass. I think the Twins can get one quality spec for him at the core of the deal - and that should be their aim.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really don't like that group of players to be honest. It's a good move for the Astros because they get rid of Rodriguez's massive contract, but I hope the Twins could do better. I'd rather get a $5 bill than three $1s.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    unless the twins can sign Liriano to a team friendly contract, I would take this deal. If he pitches bad on Sunday, his trade value goes to zero, along with your return. I would like to get more, but Terry Ryan cannot overplay this and wind up with zero.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd take that... Granted, there's still a week left before the deadline, so I'm going to hope for even more, but that would be a nice package. And frankly, the Twins need quality, but they also need some quantity too... all three are top 12 or so prospects, so that's pretty good. Especially for a guy who, two months ago, many wanted to just release.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
    Well Dick says the goal now is to catch KC and get out of last place. Not sure we can do that without Liriano and that would really mean more than getting a few prospects that might turn into players. We have so much talent stockpiled in the minors do we even have room for them?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    If you were the Twins, would you trade Liriano for that?
    Owens is OK, Grossman strikes out a lot. Neither of the pitchers appear to be power type pitchers. I'm not too thrilled with that trio, but if that was the only offer I'd take it.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would take the value, though I wouldn't necessarily want my return centered around a "toolsy" outfielder. The Twins, on the other hand...

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    Owens is OK, Grossman strikes out a lot. Neither of the pitchers appear to be power type pitchers. I'm not too thrilled with that trio, but if that was the only offer I'd take it.
    Grossman is playing in the Eastern League (AA). He is hitting .262/.374/.403 with 58 BB and 77 K. Twins' own Aaron Hicks (also 22 and also in the same league) is hitting .273/.371/.432 with 52 BB and 86 K. Not that much different but if anything Hicks strikes out more than Grossman

I think that Grossman has no place with the Twins because of Hicks (and Benson and Morales and Buxton etc.) and I suspect that the Twins would try to pry someone else from the Pirates or get 2 instead of 3 prospects...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'd take that... Granted, there's still a week left before the deadline, so I'm going to hope for even more, but that would be a nice package. And frankly, the Twins need quality, but they also need some quantity too... all three are top 12 or so prospects, so that's pretty good. Especially for a guy who, two months ago, many wanted to just release.
    Not according to Sickels, but he did have Grossman at #5 before the season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    at this point I would take anything decent for Liriano. None of these players have much upside and the best prospect isn't a pitcher but at the same time I would rather have too many OF'ers than get nothing.

That seems like pretty good value actually.. Grossman is a good prospect who could prob be an everyday regular and Colton Cain could be a sleeper. Cain was an overslot draft pick and well regarded. Still young too so may develop more. Hopefully the Twins model after this trade.

Baseball America had Grossman 8th, Cain 13th & Owens 16th coming into thes season.
    Our equilivant woulda been Kyle Gibson 8th, Corey Williams 13th & Adrian Salcedo 16th

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pirates still HAVE

SS Alen Hanson B+
    OF Jorge Palonco B+
    OF Starling Marte B
    SP Luis Heredia B+ / A-
    SP Zach Van Rosenburg C+
    SP Nich Kingham C+

theres still some chips for them to play around with

and thats assuming Cole and Taillon are untouchable.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    I'd hold out for one quality prospect rather than 3 middle of the road guys.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    I'd hold out for one quality prospect rather than 3 middle of the road guys.
    What if this means you get nothing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast