Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the Marlins doing?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries

What are the Marlins doing?

I get in a losing year trading away Sanchez because he's going to be a free agent.

And I can sort of figure out dangling Hanley Ramirez if they truly believe he is a player without a position (even if he isn't.)

But why shop Josh Johnson, who is under contract for next year, around? If they're going to trade a pitcher, why not one making more money? If they're going to blow things up, why start there of all places? What are they trying to accomplish?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 307 Times in 149 Posts
    Health concerns, makes a lot of money on a losing team and will be a free agent after next year. I think the saying was better to trade a player a year early rather than a year late, see several ex-twins for examples. Sellers market he should bring back a lot!
    But it might make more sense to fire Ozzie!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,482 Times in 777 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I was a Marlins fan, I'd be pretty bent if they traded Johnson. They just got a new stadium.

Though if Josh is demanding a trade because he wants to get away from that animatronic... thing in the outfield, I completely understand.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't it depend on what they get back for them?

I mean, Johnson is good, but he's hurt often, certainly not a guarantee... what if you can get a great package for him?
    Hanley - I like him, but he's a headcase, apparently, and might cause other issues. His performance isn't all that great either. I think he can be great again, but wonder if that can happen in Miami. So again, whatcould they get for him in return? Might be worthwhile to at least investigate that.

I also agree that Ozzie might be a big part of the issue.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Marlins won 2 World Series by having fire sales and rebuilding with young talent. I guess that's what they are doing. If JJ brings back a top of the rotation starter prospect and a number 3, plus what they got in the Detroit trade, they would be set with SP for 5-6 years or so That's what they are doing.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 2,182 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can only guess... It does seem to be a bit soon to be throwing in the towel after such a large FA splash this past off season.

The only thing that makes sense is that after all the money spent on FA this year and falling short. The Bank is drained and now FA signings for the 2013 squad is not an option.

They fell short and still need to improve and don't have much in the upper levels of the farm. Retooling will have to take a different route. Just a guess.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    Agree with thrylos, they are trying to get better, not remain not bad.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 307 Times in 149 Posts
    Marlins are moving their CF into 2nd base. Could they use Span as part of a deal for Johnson or with only next year left on Johnsons contract is that a short sighted move?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Marlins are moving their CF into 2nd base. Could they use Span as part of a deal for Johnson or with only next year left on Johnsons contract is that a short sighted move?
    Span's from around there (closer to Tampa, though) so that might work for him, but I am not sure what it will take to pry Johnson (who was born in MPLS, btw) from the Marlins and whether the Twins have what it takes to work out a 4-year extension to keep him until he is 33 (2016) so he can contribute when they will be competitive. I think that it will take some young blood in addition to Span (like Hicks and Hendriks and and )

On the other hand, JJ lost a couple ticks on his FB this season and there have been some concerns. Plus he is an NL pitcher (and I do not like his inter-league splits that much... wish there was a place to get career away inter-league splits for NL pitchers....)

I don't think it's happening. Just not in the Twins' DNA (or at least the ones who are running them now) to do things like this.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Johnson in the market adds to the supply and makes it more difficult to get return for Liriano. Hopefully they are asking for too much and teams will look to Liriano. It would be great to have Johnson in Minnesota, but I think the price would be very high and teams in the hunt will have more motivation to overpay.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Watching the Marlins feed tonight against the Braves, and Larry Beinfest stated pretty flatly that Josh Johnson is not being shopped, all movements on Johnson have been "incoming calls"
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
    I also read the Marlins were trading either Sanchez or Johnson but not both. Take that for what it is worth.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dodgers acquire Hanley Ramirez.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    but if you spend a lot of money in FA you'll get better right? Isn't this what all of the complaints about the Twins are?

WOW! Hanley traded. I'm surprised more teams weren't in on him and disappointed that the Twins weren't in a position where it made sense to go after him.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    but if you spend a lot of money in FA you'll get better right? Isn't this what all of the complaints about the Twins are?

WOW! Hanley traded. I'm surprised more teams weren't in on him and disappointed that the Twins weren't in a position where it made sense to go after him.
    Ha!! That is 100% a myth... spending big money in free agency is rarely the answer.

I'm in a little awe right now that all the Marlins could get for Hanley (and LHP Randy Choate) was Nathan Eovaldi and Scott McGough. Eovaldi was the Dodger's #2 prospect coming into the season, but McGough wasn't in anyone's top 20 Dodgers prospect lists.

I get that Hanley has had a down year statistically, and that he can be a big headache and that he's owed a lot of money next year yet... but I guess I thought he'd have more trade value...

Kind of makes me wonder if this haul affects what the Twins can get for Span or even Willingham. Their contracts are much more friendly. I think the Twins could do better than this for them... but who knows!?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Ha!! That is 100% a myth... spending big money in free agency is rarely the answer.

I'm in a little awe right now that all the Marlins could get for Hanley (and LHP Randy Choate) was Nathan Eovaldi and Scott McGough. Eovaldi was the Dodger's #2 prospect coming into the season, but McGough wasn't in anyone's top 20 Dodgers prospect lists.

I get that Hanley has had a down year statistically, and that he can be a big headache and that he's owed a lot of money next year yet... but I guess I thought he'd have more trade value...

Kind of makes me wonder if this haul affects what the Twins can get for Span or even Willingham. Their contracts are much more friendly. I think the Twins could do better than this for them... but who knows!?
    Hanley has actually had two pretty medicore seasons in a row, that definately raises some serious red flags for me, perhaps there is an undisclosed injury that is bugging him or perhaps he isn't 28?

Either way the Marlins sold him at his low point as he no longer is a capable shortstop (always put up pretty bad numbers) in fact he rates below average at 3rd base this year as well. I don't see how this really effects Spans and Willinghams trade value as Hanley is owed over 30 million in 2013/2014. The Dodgers are taking a pretty big risk bringing that contract on, and unless he can somehow get back at minimum his 2010 days he will not be worth the money. (Even his 2010 numbers were a sharp drop off of nearly .100 OPS of his prior 3 seasons)

It's apparent the Marlins didn't think he would get back to being a true asset so they dumped him while they had a chance, Eovaldi isn't the greatest prospect in the world but he should slot into that rotation quite nicely. Also an interesting note: Morneau has a higher OPS+ then Ramierez this year FWIW.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would have done evil and immoral things to get Hanley a few years ago. Now he's traded for little to nothing...it's a funny world we live in.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    If I was a Marlins fan, I'd be pretty bent if they traded Johnson. They just got a new stadium.

Outside the opening of the season/stadium, are there Marlins fans??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Outside the opening of the season/stadium, are there Marlins fans??
    The Marlins fanbase was last seen being sucked into the whirling vortex of that club out in right field. Slashing payroll may help them rebuild with young prospects, but even better: it will allow them to lower martini costs and free up payroll to bring in a Dubstep DJ!

NOW THAT'S THE FOUNDATION FOR A WINNER!
    Peanuts From Heaven

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Sounds like the Rangers are offering Olt for Josh Johnson. I'd have to think the Marlins would have to jump at that trade at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast