Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Plouffe's Bruised Thumb - My Throbbing Temples

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Plouffe's Bruised Thumb - My Throbbing Temples

In today's Strib (link), I was really surprised to hear that Trevor Plouffe and his aching thumb, which were supposed to be good go to on Sund, er Mond, er...will not be playing at all until at least Friday, a week after he injured it. At least two talkers here....

1) Why can't this team just use the DL? Why can't they evaluate injuries competently? I'm somewhat willing to cut them some slack on this one, because there isn't really anyone they can call up, but it's just so crazy predictable. I could have told you how this was going to play out on Saturday.

2) Who do they call up? Valencia? He would seem the logical choice, but he's been terrible. Florimon maybe to serve as a utility infielder behind Casilla, Dozier and Carroll? Who do you want and who do you think it'll be?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    I wouldn't mind seeing Burroughs called back up, not because I think he is great but I'd like to see him succeed at the major league level. Everyone else is pretty awful to be honest.

I imagine a bruised/sore finger is tough to diagnosis time wise. I mean I am surprised he can't play but he must not be able to hold a bat currently. I think Mauer missed 4 games with that?

Either way, if Plouffe misses 8 or less days then there was no reason to DL him, hell even if he is out 10 days I think this was the right choice.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suppose if you DL him, you lose him for two weeks, instead of only one, but not DLing him you short yourself a bench player (and you're already short from carrying 13 pitchers). At this point, does it really matter? All we're doing now is marking time until next year.

If they call up a middle infielder, I would expect Nishioka instead of Florimon, just because Nishioka wouldn't require a 40-man roster move (it is currently full) and he has been improving steadily.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Vodka Dave... 7 or 8 days should be the cut-off for the DL. If the assumption is that the player will be out less than a week, I woudln't DL that person. If they're going to be out longer than a week, DL him right away. But at one week, a move needs to be made.

I'd bring up Valencia... Florimon and Burroughs aren't on the 40 man. If they would then DFA Burroughs again, he would become a free agent and woudln't go back to Rochester.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I agree with Vodka Dave... 7 or 8 days should be the cut-off for the DL. If the assumption is that the player will be out less than a week, I woudln't DL that person. If they're going to be out longer than a week, DL him right away. But at one week, a move needs to be made.

I'd bring up Valencia... Florimon and Burroughs aren't on the 40 man. If they would then DFA Burroughs again, he would become a free agent and woudln't go back to Rochester.
    I should have clarffied further, if it's an impact player like Mauer/Morneau/Span/Willingham/Plouffe/Doumit I def think you use the 7 or 8 day window. If it was someone like Carroll/Casilla/Butera/Revere I think you consider DLing them right away. 2-3 days in.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I should have clarffied further, if it's an impact player like Mauer/Morneau/Span/Willingham/Plouffe/Doumit I def think you use the 7 or 8 day window. If it was someone like Carroll/Casilla/Butera/Revere I think you consider DLing them right away. 2-3 days in.
    Correct. It also depends on the rest of the roster situation. I mean, it's not like the Twins pinch hit terribly often.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Maybe they should DL him. At this point of the season might as well give him as much time as he needs.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Nothing changes, and no one loses their job......

They should have put him on the DL and called up Burroughs or Valencia right away.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Someone should lose their job over a sprained thumb??

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 343 Posts
    Ah geez, we're questioning the Twins medical staff again....I'm sure in a few weeks when someone brings this up the people who portray themselves as optimists will pretend this never happened and fall on their sword for the team.

The accurate, expedient diagnosis of injury for this club is comical at this point.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins went the right direction in this case, though in hindsight he may miss more time. Jammed thumbs are common and usually players are back within a week. With starting pitchers and arms it is a different decision where they have errored with Pavano and Blackburn this year.

In any case , I wouldn't call up Valencia. Burroughs needs to be put on the 40. There is space, but the Twins may be hoping to fill the space with players received in a potential trade. At this point with the trade deadline's roster uncertainty they are right to hope he will be back in a week.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I think the Twins went the right direction in this case, though in hindsight he may miss more time. Jammed thumbs are common and usually players are back within a week. With starting pitchers and arms it is a different decision where they have errored with Pavano and Blackburn this year.

In any case , I wouldn't call up Valencia. Burroughs needs to be put on the 40. There is space, but the Twins may be hoping to fill the space with players received in a potential trade. At this point with the trade deadline's roster uncertainty they are right to hope he will be back in a week.
    No, there isn't. They currently have the full 40 players on the list (plus Baker on the 60-day DL).

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Someone should lose their job over a sprained thumb??
    If every time someone is injured, you underestimate their time out, and don't use the DL correctly, yes. This is about lots and lots of things, not just this one time.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    In today's Strib (link), I was really surprised to hear that Trevor Plouffe and his aching thumb, which were supposed to be good go to on Sund, er Mond, er...will not be playing at all until at least Friday, a week after he injured it. At least two talkers here....

1) Why can't this team just use the DL? Why can't they evaluate injuries competently? I'm somewhat willing to cut them some slack on this one, because there isn't really anyone they can call up,

2) Who do they call up? Valencia? He would seem the logical choice, but he's been terrible. Florimon maybe to serve as a utility infielder behind Casilla, Dozier and Carroll? Who do you want and who do you think it'll be?
    I think you've answered your own questions. The Twins should be cut some slack on this one because Plouffe has said that he's had this injury before and he usually recovers in a day or two. It's taking longer this time, so the Twins were caught in the middle.

There really isn't anyone to call up. I wouldn't reward Valencia. I'd make sure Danny Boy is aware that he's the logical call-up but he's not coming up. BTW, it's not a sprained thumb, it's a bone bruise. Personally, I think Plouffe should grow some antlers, tape up the thumb and play.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That just depends on if he can even throw. Throwing from 3b he could really do some damage to the fans along the RF foul line.