Thread: Eric Hurley

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Eric Hurley

The Twins have signed pitcher Eric Hurley and he will start for the Rochester Red Wings. Brendan Wise goes to the DL.

Hurley was a first-round pick of the Rangers in 2004. He got to the big leagues in July of 2008 with the Rangers. He fought some injuries and missed all of 2009 and 2010. CAme back in 2011 and pitched at AA with the Rangers. This year, he was pitching in Salt Lake, the Angels AAA affiliate. He got promoted to the big league club on July 7. Unfortunately, he didn't get into a game before the Angels DFAd him and released him.

Frankly, I don't think any of the New Britain pitchers should be up in Rochester, so this move makes sense to me. If he does well, great. If not, it's a no-cost, little reward thing.

Eric Hurley.jpg

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    If he does well, he'll be added to the 40-man roster, and in the bigs, in near-record time.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This guy used to be thought as the next big thing for TX back in 2008 or so and he made it to the majors at age 21. I think after than he has a few injuries and surgeries and was out for 2-3 years until last season. He has been pitching pretty awfully but it is the PCL. He is just 26, so much younger than what the Twins usually get off the pile. Still not sure whether he has anything left.

Still... We know that Hirschfeld and Bromberg went to Rochester and bombed... but Andrew Albers and Logan Darner are semi-repeating AA this season (and Albers is not a spring chicken, he is 26) and one of them could have been up there (Blake Martin has been doing decently -surprisingly- as a starter in NB, so there is how you close that gap.) Also Aaron Thompson, even though he is not lighting the place up since he return from his suspension, could also move up.

I just don't like the message these type of signings give to younger players...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One more thing: Tried to see what kind of injuries he had and it does not sound too good. Shoulder. Rotator Cuff and Labrum. Both reconstructed. Here is an interesting writeup from back then talking about how his mechanics messed his shoulder
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    This guy used to be thought as the next big thing for TX back in 2008 or so and he made it to the majors at age 21. I think after than he has a few injuries and surgeries and was out for 2-3 years until last season. He has been pitching pretty awfully but it is the PCL. He is just 26, so much younger than what the Twins usually get off the pile. Still not sure whether he has anything left.

Still... We know that Hirschfeld and Bromberg went to Rochester and bombed... but Andrew Albers and Logan Darner are semi-repeating AA this season (and Albers is not a spring chicken, he is 26) and one of them could have been up there (Blake Martin has been doing decently -surprisingly- as a starter in NB, so there is how you close that gap.) Also Aaron Thompson, even though he is not lighting the place up since he return from his suspension, could also move up.

Thompson is constantly getting clubbed around.
    Albers hasn't pitched since June 17

Bromberg worked out of the bullpen last outing.

Perhaps the Twins are at the point to leave NB alone and let them compete for a tile,and let Roch go with as many filler-types as necessary to hang around .500.

Blog Entries
    Doesn't it tell them... get better and we'll move you up instead of signing veterans... but right now, we have to do whatever we have to do.

Also, Andrew Albers is hurt. Bromberg just came back.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm all in favor of promoting from within when it is justified, but Darnell and Thompson are at most holding their own at AA; they haven't earned a promotion yet. I don't believe in social promotions. Albers is on the DL.

This might be in preparation for bringing Hendriks back up in a few weeks. Rochester needs starters too, and this could just be filling a minor league roster (and of course, if he surprises and shows perhaps he does have some MLB potential, that's a bonus).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    In 2007 he was rated as the 67 best prospect in baseball. The names above him were very impressive. In 2008 he fell to 77. Here is hoping Cuellar can work some more magic. He had a 96 mph fastball at one time. Control was the issue from what I could find. On a team full of back of the rotation guys, he fits in. With a little development maybe they can find his old potential.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    In 2007 he was rated as the 67 best prospect in baseball. The names above him were very impressive. In 2008 he fell to 77. Here is hoping Cuellar can work some more magic. He had a 96 mph fastball at one time. Control was the issue from what I could find. On a team full of back of the rotation guys, he fits in. With a little development maybe they can find his old potential.
    Agreed, but it's not like the Twins acquired Hurley and/or Martis with any intention of them pitching in the big leagues. Maybe one of them will get an opportunity at some point, but their primary purpose is to fill out the Rochester rotation.

I'm not sure if he threw 96 at one time, but I checked his last game day (2008) and he was topping out at high 80's. Fangraph's had him averaging 90 that year. He's a seat filler at AAA. Let's hope they can trade for some better arms before the deadline.

First off, dont have a problem with signing Hurley....one time big prospect who was pitching in hitter friendly PCL.
    However, I do think some of the NewBrit guys shoulda been considered.
    Steve Hirchfield has a 2.90 ERA, good for 5th in Eastern Lg. I understand he has a 7+ ERA in ROC but he's also didnt give up an ER in 2 of his 6 starts. If you're not gonna promote someone with this success....what's the point of havin him??
    BJHermsen is 10th in ERA w/3.38...right behing phenom Zack Wheelers 3.29. Have no problem keeping him in AA, but he is up for 40 man roster this winter & will be protected....has been excellent this yr & is the organizations pitcher of the year.
    These 2 should be in the discusion FOR SURE.
    Blake Martin has been tollerable, Logan Darnell is 9th in IP in Lg & is at least a workhorse of sorts & Aaron Thompson is a joke but is a starter.
    Dave Bromberg isnt even starting in AA & he was NOT bad in AAA....2 starts 8.1IP cannot form an opinion yet but he was very good in AAA 2 yrs ago!!!! He should be starting no doubt, just threw a 6 inning shutout. Now he cannot crack the AA staff???? move him up!!!
    Just saying this is an organization that treats its own players badly, as Cole DeVries was kept in bullpen for all of 10/11 behind Andrew Baldwin & Eric Hacker types & once he got a shot......became the Twins best RHP this year but didnt get a shot to start for 2 yrs.!!!

per Jeremey Nygaard
    Eric Hurley asked for, & recieved, his release.