@sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Projecting Returns

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

You are dreaming if you believe the Twins get anything close to a big package for anybody other than Josh Willingham and he is off the table. I most likely am wrong but just dont have faith in Terry Ryan anymore. He clearly over played his hand and held on to some of these guys too long.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It appears that the going rate is a pitching prospect who ranks somewhere in the 30-60 range (likely a team's #1 or #2 prospect), along with a second prospect who ranks in that team's Top 10, and maybe even one more player who ranks outside the top ten but still has potential.
    Hahahahahaha

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,511 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Seth,

You are dreaming if you believe the Twins get anything close to a big package for anybody other than Josh Willingham and he is off the table. I most likely am wrong but just dont have faith in Terry Ryan anymore. He clearly over played his hand and held on to some of these guys too long.
    There is still a week until the deadline. How has he held on to anything too long? It's up to contending teams to get serious about trading for help, not for teams out of contention to push players that may not be at their peak value. There are still over a half dozen teams out there that will react to the trades over the past few days and then probably overreact to compensate against division rivals. The trade season is barely getting rolling at this point.

I'd wait until 3pm on the 31st to judge Ryan's management of this deadline. Every year, most of the biggest deals happen in the final 48 hours of the deadline.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that if teams are wanting a "quality" (relative term) starting pitcher and relatively successful leadoff hitter and CF'er, they might give up more than they would this year because of the new playoff format.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think that the Twins should be smart enough to package Liriano as Span for a team that is looking for a SP and a CF/leadoff hitter. THAT would maximize returns. Another little stated fact about both Liriano and Span, as far as trades are involved: They are lefties so they do carry a premium.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,511 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I still think that the Twins should be smart enough to package Liriano as Span for a team that is looking for a SP and a CF/leadoff hitter. THAT would maximize returns.
    Well, that entirely depends on the team in question and what they could offer for those two players.

But I don't necessarily disagree with your point. If a team has enough prospects to swing that deal, it could be a good one for the Twins.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 534 Times in 353 Posts
    Actually, most believe the new playoff format hurts the trade market. If you don't win your division, and you are in the WC, you are now only guaranteed 1 more game, and that game could be on the road. Compare that to the old days, when you were guaranteed multiple post season games, and at least one at home. That's a big income difference.

I will reserve judgement on TR until the end of this deadline, but I have super, super low expectations.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I still think that the Twins should be smart enough to package Liriano as Span for a team that is looking for a SP and a CF/leadoff hitter. THAT would maximize returns. Another little stated fact about both Liriano and Span, as far as trades are involved: They are lefties so they do carry a premium.
    That's a fine idea, except you have to identify a team that wants to take both guys, and be willing to pay for them. That eliminates most teams.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Well, that entirely depends on the team in question and what they could offer for those two players.

But I don't necessarily disagree with your point. If a team has enough prospects to swing that deal, it could be a good one for the Twins.
    cincy... span ,liriano for hamilton,corcino and cingrani

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    cincy... span ,liriano for hamilton,corcino and cingrani
    I would do that in a heartbeat. I doubt Cincy would though.

2014 lineup featuring Hamilton, Hicks, Mauer, Willingham, Arcia, Benson, Doumit, Plouffe would be drool inducing.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    2014 lineup featuring Hamilton, Hicks, Mauer, Willingham, Arcia, Benson, Doumit, Plouffe would be drool inducing.
    I drool over a lineup too that features 4 guys that have done nothing at the major league level.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    I drool over a lineup too that features 4 guys that have done nothing at the major league level.
    2014 at the very least they would be fast as hell and amazing defensively.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    2014 at the very least they would be fast as hell and amazing defensively.
    My pants are getting tight just thinking about it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    My pants are getting tight just thinking about it.
    Rep.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    See the Cincinnati Reds.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

On the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by cr9617 View Post
    That's a fine idea, except you have to identify a team that wants to take both guys, and be willing to pay for them. That eliminates most teams.
    A well-targeted package deal needs only one team as a partner. Also, you can offer a Liriano + Span deal at the same time that you market both players separately. If one of them goes, then you still have some value for the other. The package deal is out there as an option, and the team that would go for it would probably contact Terry Ryan on their own fairly early, before the opportunity disappears.

At the same time, I'd hate to see them both go. Span is such a solid player, and Liriano is getting better. I'm dismissing his latest outing as tension from all the trade rumors.

lets get real here. Free agency rentals have been doomed by the new agreement. To get a draft pick for Liriano Twins must offer him $12million which is DAM foolish. If they trade him, the new team gets no compensation. Until last night, Liriano was hot for once. Now back to normal. A team picking up Liriano gets him for 8-10 starts--thats it. No value in that. (Maybe for the Nats to replace soon to be shut down Strasberg). The Twins will get nothing for him thanks to the new agreement.

As to Span, Willingham etc. Yes ask for a ton, if you get a top prospect like the Marlins did, go for it, if you dont, dont. The Twins have very little of value.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    A Liriano/Span package should be about as similar as the Sanchez/Infante combo. Rental pitcher with a controlable top of the lineup bat, though Span's deal is cheaper and longer. While you're talking to the Reds, start dialing the Rangers.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Generally speaking, you get a LOT more in return by trading players individually. If they can get the above deal from Cincinnati, great (they couldn't). Liriano is maybe a step below Sanchez... but Span is light-years ahead of Infante.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast