Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Projecting Returns

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If, in fact, the Dempster deal falls through, I wonder if the Braves offer Delgado for Frankie.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Generally speaking, you get a LOT more in return by trading players individually. If they can get the above deal from Cincinnati, great (they couldn't). Liriano is maybe a step below Sanchez... but Span is light-years ahead of Infante.
    Personally I'm not a big fan of looking at other trades and applying that to what people think the Twins should get. There's so many other factors that go into things, but I pray the Twins don't think they should get a Turner+ type deal.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    All it takes is one team that is desparate enough. Infante fills a need at 2B, and Sanchez a need in the Tigers rotation. Teams that think they are a player or two away OFTEN over pay in prospects, because the think they can win now with these minor tweaks. Sanchez is a rental and Infante has one year left on his deal. Span has TWO more club controlled years and is a better plater than Infante that can leadoff for a team. Liriano has the potential to be better than Sanchez, but Sanchez will be far more reliable and consistent. It only takes one team to over pay.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    All it takes is one team that is desparate enough. Infante fills a need at 2B, and Sanchez a need in the Tigers rotation. Teams that think they are a player or two away OFTEN over pay in prospects, because the think they can win now with these minor tweaks. Sanchez is a rental and Infante has one year left on his deal. Span has TWO more club controlled years and is a better plater than Infante that can leadoff for a team. Liriano has the potential to be better than Sanchez, but Sanchez will be far more reliable and consistent. It only takes one team to over pay.

You're right about all that, still doesn't mean that the Marlins/Tigers trade should apply to what the Twins are trying to do with Span and Liriano. Like you said all it takes is one team, but on the flip side you have to have that one team desperate enough.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Generally speaking, you get a LOT more in return by trading players individually. If they can get the above deal from Cincinnati, great (they couldn't). Liriano is maybe a step below Sanchez... but Span is light-years ahead of Infante.
    This is totally right, but more and better are quite different as far as prospects go. At this point I'd rather have one top 20-30 prospect and another B prospect than a half dozen B, C or throw-in guys. There's value either way you go, but if the Twins are going to blow this thing up I think they should have one guy they can hold up to the fan base and say, wait till you see him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12