Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should Butera start at Catcher?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, Drew had a nifty hit-and-run single today and a walk but his pitcher allowed almost as many runs as he got outs, so there's that. If the Twins have a staff that needs to be "handled" by their catcher, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    How did this thread get to 4 pages?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    How did this thread get to 4 pages?
    Haha. No idea. Totally insane. Anyway, I think the Twins should give Drew a nice salary to be the catcher at whatever level in the minors has the most valuable pitching prospects from 2013 forward. I am not joking. He is good with that aspect, but it is time for a Mauer-Doumit-Herrmann roster situation.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Haha. No idea. Totally insane. Anyway, I think the Twins should give Drew a nice salary to be the catcher at whatever level in the minors has the most valuable pitching prospects from 2013 forward. I am not joking. He is good with that aspect, but it is time for a Mauer-Doumit-Herrmann roster situation.
    I think Drew Butera has "AAA to help young pitchers and then bullpen catcher after retiring" written all over him.

Which is actually a compliment, believe it or not. I think Drew is a fine catcher who does a good job behind the dish.

But he can't make guys throw harder, have more movement on their fastballs, or throw more strikes.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
    Debbie Gots....?

Liked 662 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Catchers contribute a bunch to pitchers.

Work done in the film room prior to the game.
    Work done in the bullpen prior to the game.
    The calling of pitches during a game.
    The recognition of what is and what is not working during the game.
    Knowing What good looks like for each pitcher and what bad looks like for each pitcher.
    The setting up of hitters.
    Knowing the hitters.
    The trips to the mound to steady a pitcher. Knowing which pitchers want the visits and when to not visit when the pitcher looks like he needs one.
    Knowing which pitchers will tell you to stay the hell away and when its time to go visit the mound anyway.

Catchers do not get nearly enough credit for their role in every game.

Catchers don't make pitchers throw harder but they can make them seem harder... if they do a nice job setting up the pitch.

With all of that... A couple things.

Joe Mauer should be capable of all of the above. Ryan Doumit as well. They are Veteren catchers. Drew is less experienced behind the plate. If Drew is better at it... It doesn't mean that Drew is amazing.

If true... What it does is speak badly for Joe and Ryan and that's "IF true".

If true... I'd be more concerned about Joe and Ryan.

That's where the coaches come in. They should have a handle on... Who does all of this well.

I don't think you can prove anything with stats on this subject but it's fun to watch some try.

Personally I don't think Butera should play at all. He should just be that 3rd catcher backup that makes Gardy feel better and keeps Doumit out of the OF.

The coaches have more information than I do.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Catchers do not get nearly enough credit for their role in every game.

Catchers don't make pitchers throw harder but they can make them seem harder... if they do a nice job setting up the pitch.

With all of that... A couple things.

Joe Mauer should be capable of all of the above. Ryan Doumit as well. They are Veteren catchers. Drew is less experienced behind the plate. If Drew is better at it... It doesn't mean that Drew is amazing.
    True. I don't mean to downplay the role the catcher plays in the game. My point is more "all of these catchers are professionals and have been doing this for most of their lives". Mauer is one of the smartest, if not the smartest, hitter in the big leagues right now. No one has ever questioned his ability to call a game. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him at all, really (talking about professionals, not forum trolls and talking heads).

If a catcher makes it to the big leagues (particularly in the persnickety Twins org), he can call a game. He knows how to set up hitters. He understands the game.

Catchers affect the game. After all, they call the game. But there's no evidence that Drew Butera is better at this than one of the smartest guys playing baseball right now. Is he a better defensive catcher than Mauer? Sure, I might buy into that but if there's a difference, it's a small one and it has more to do with Drew's arm and ability to block balls than it does any magical pitcher whispering ability he might have.

Liked 662 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    True. I don't mean to downplay the role the catcher plays in the game. My point is more "all of these catchers are professionals and have been doing this for most of their lives". Mauer is one of the smartest, if not the smartest, hitter in the big leagues right now. No one has ever questioned his ability to call a game. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him at all, really (talking about professionals, not forum trolls and talking heads).If a catcher makes it to the big leagues (particularly in the persnickety Twins org), he can call a game. He knows how to set up hitters. He understands the game.Catchers affect the game. After all, they call the game. But there's no evidence that Drew Butera is better at this than one of the smartest guys playing baseball right now. Is he a better defensive catcher than Mauer? Sure, I might buy into that but if there's a difference, it's a small one and it has more to do with Drew's arm and ability to block balls than it does any magical pitcher whispering ability he might have.
    No Argument here... Although, you can't dismiss it out of hand.

Gardy obviously thinks differently. I have no way of knowing... I can only make assumptions based upon on how Gardy sets his lineup. Drew brings something to the team in Gardy's opinion.

Based on what I know... I wouldn't play Butera at all... Gardy is in the position to see hear and feel something else.

The fact that Butera is catching Liriano exclusively is a telling sign of something. I don't know what it is but I won't dismiss it cuz the Catcher is the captain of your defense. Big Job... Important Job.

I believe that Butera catching says more about the job that Doumit and Mauer are doing while working with the pitchers or certain pitchers.

Mauer and Doumit hit much better so why is Gardy willing to absorb the offensive loss to catch Butera. That's the question that needs to be answered in my mind.

I think it's crazy to be afraid of DH'ing your catcher and driving yourself to the need of having a third catcher. I don't think it's crazy at all to match up your battery combo.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Debbie Gots....?
    Can I retweet that Dave?

Drew butera is simply not a major leauger. never has been or will .all he does is give GARDY a excuse. its a wasted bench spot!!

Drew did a spectacular job of calling the game from the bench tonight for Diamond/Mauer (cause we know that Joe cant do it on his own)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Drew did a spectacular job of calling the game from the bench tonight for Diamond/Mauer (cause we know that Joe cant do it on his own)
    Game, set, match.

Drew was single handidly responsible for getting us the 2 C level prospects......Thank you Drew
    As if I coldnt respect you more!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234