Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70

Thread: Trade Sano?

  1. #21
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,598
    Like
    1,108
    Liked 529 Times in 349 Posts
    I see no stock dropping, it's a matter of Low A player vs proven MLB starting pitcher under control for more than 3 months....and that might be a fair trade. There is great uncertainty about any Low A player ever making the majors, let alone being as good as a proven MLB starting pitcher. Plus, you get the return on the deal now, rather than the future.
    Lighten up Francis....

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,074
    Like
    10
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    The Twins have all the time in the world to trade Sano if that's what they want to do.

    He's not even been playing particularly well recently, so his stock may be down right now.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Double-A shs_59's Avatar
    Posts
    199
    Like
    13
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    I would trade Sano straight up for any of the highly regarded young pitchers that are under team control long term. To me Sano seems a risky prospect. His BABIP has been very high before this year. This year it is at an average level and his batting average and xBH rate have all dropped accordingly. Unless he can reign in those K rates offensively he is Mike Restovich or Adam Dunn.
    somewhat agree....just wanted to add.... or

    Richie Sexton or dare i say....Andy Marte....gasp
    Nooo

    Adam Dunn like at 1B would be a pretty decent outcome though.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Double-A shs_59's Avatar
    Posts
    199
    Like
    13
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    The Twins have all the time in the world to trade Sano if that's what they want to do.

    He's not even been playing particularly well recently, so his stock may be down right now.
    GREAT POINT....in this case regarding Miguel Sano....Time is most definately the Twins friend. I'm eyeing 2015 as our big competitive bounce back year.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    583
    Like
    24
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    The trading hysteria has finally reached our top prospect in A ball.
    The Twins can acquire a front line starter through free agency. Nobody wants to admit that the Twins have the resources to do it.

  6. #26
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,132
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    The Sano for Price trade talk reminds me of a trade of a top Latin American prospect (and others) for a 25 year old former 1st round pick (2nd overall) Starting Pitcher. Of course lots of others were involved... Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell and Guillermo Mota to the Boston Red Sox and Jesus Delgado, Harvey Garcia, Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez to the Florida Marlins. This trade (and actually Lowell closed another hole for the BOSox and Mota was flipped to Cleveland) was essential for the Red Sox' championships but I am not sure that they would do it again. Ramirez is a superstar and Sanchez a better than average SP, while Lowell is retired and Beckett has dropped to average level... but 2 rings are 2 rings.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  7. #27
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,132
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    The Twins can acquire a front line starter through free agency. Nobody wants to admit that the Twins have the resources to do it.
    Well... the problem is that most "front line starters" would like 5+ year deals. The Twins (correctly) are not doing that . So their changes to get a top starter through Free Agency are nil. Unless they offer Liriano 1y $12.5 M contract (if they do not trade him) and he for some reason accepts
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  8. #28
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    583
    Like
    24
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Why would Tampa Trade Price for a Twins prospect in A ball???
    Unlike the Twins, Tampa does not have a problem developing their own Star Players.

  9. #29
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,482
    Like
    3,481
    Liked 2,995 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Why would Tampa Trade Price for a Twins prospect in A ball???
    Unlike the Twins, Tampa does not have a problem developing their own Star Players.
    They wouldn't. It's called a hypothetical.

  10. #30
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,742
    Like
    620
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    The Twins have all the time in the world to trade Sano if that's what they want to do.
    Good point. But, if the Twins trade Liriano in the next few days then it will signal what they are open to doing this offseason, I think. There aren't many unrestricted top flight free agent SP's this year. It is likely that Liriano would be our best option, and so if they stand pat then I would be curious to see if they double down this offseason, and mortgage Sano to get an option better than Edwin Jackson, J. Shields (assuming the Rays don't pick up his '13 option), or Hamels (assuming the Phils don't extend him, or trade him to someone who does extend him).

    I would explore a Sano-Felix trade. Sure, Felix is supposedly off-limits, but consider: Smoak has been a bust so far, and Ackley not much better.

  11. #31
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,391
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    GREAT POINT....in this case regarding Miguel Sano....Time is most definately the Twins friend.
    Not really. There is a very real chance his value decreases from here on out. Going into this year he was considered a top 30 prospect by many people. Not much room to increase value but plenty of value to be lost. Unless he can get those K's under control his stock will seemingly fall. So, IF (and I can't stress that enough) Sano is a potential trade chip time is not your friend. On top of that the Twins are utterly devoid of pitching in the upper majors and on the roster right now.

  12. #32
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,197
    Like
    359
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Stock dropping, really? He's 19 and is holding own in a pitcher friendly A- league. He's hit 20 home runs already. Yes, he's striking out a lot and isn't going to progress through teh system quite as fast as the optimists had hoped, but this hardly means his stock is dropping. I'd also note that despite the .050 point drop in BA from Elizabethon to Beloit, his OBP has remained the same, which means he's taking A TON more walks... My guess is that he's probably letting a few too many called strikes go by, which is far easier to improve on than simply flailing away at pitches out of the zone.

    I could see making a case that Arcia moves into the 1 spot simply because he's performing quite nicely at AA as a 22 year old, but that isn't because Sano is less of a propsect as much as it is that Arcia is becoming a nicer one, but let's be sensible. This kid has Miguel Cabrera potential, and that hasn't changed. Would I trade him for the right package? Sure, but those deals never happen.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    545
    Like
    0
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Do you think we could get the great Mark Buehrle for a mere minor leaguer like Miguel Sano? Wow, what a deal! If Terry Ryan could swing this deal, he'd be as universally loved as...Mike Lynn!

  14. #34
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,742
    Like
    620
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Buehrle is only one who meets the criteria. By the way, he will likely deliver surplus value at 4/58, as he is in the middle of another very good year that no one is noticing.

    A Sano-Buehrle trade straight up wouldn't be my first choice either but if they are chips in part of a larger deal then I would listen.

  15. #35
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,391
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Good point. But, if the Twins trade Liriano in the next few days then it will signal what they are open to doing this offseason, I think. There aren't many unrestricted top flight free agent SP's this year. It is likely that Liriano would be our best option, and so if they stand pat then I would be curious to see if they double down this offseason, and mortgage Sano to get an option better than Edwin Jackson, J. Shields (assuming the Rays don't pick up his '13 option), or Hamels (assuming the Phils don't extend him, or trade him to someone who does extend him).

    I would explore a Sano-Felix trade. Sure, Felix is supposedly off-limits, but consider: Smoak has been a bust so far, and Ackley not much better.
    This post is completely backwards. There are actually potentially more good FA pitchers this year than normal. Liriano, even pitching like he is right now, isn't at the top of that list. Toss in the fact that over the last 5 years been one of the worst pitchers in baseball and he starts looking worse and worse. Hamels is close to a #1 pitcher and is looking to get paid like one. Let's toss out a list of pitchers better than Liriano historically and potential FA's this year:

    Cole Hamels
    Zach Greinke
    Edwin Jackson
    R.A. Dickey
    Gavin Floyd
    Dan Haren
    Colby Lewis
    Shaun Marcum
    Brandon McCarthy
    Jake Peavy
    Anibal Sanchez

  16. #36
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,742
    Like
    620
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    As an example, Kenny Williams caught a lot of flack last off-season for waffling in terms of full rebuild, or full re-load mode. The White Sox are another team with good core of players but lack only 1 or 2 pieces, and they will likely finish just outside the last playoff spot.

    If Baker or Gibson comes back and pitches at a high level, then what? The worst thing is to be unprepared for success.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 07-23-2012 at 03:55 PM.

  17. #37
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,391
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Stock dropping, really? He's 19 and is holding own in a pitcher friendly A- league. He's hit 20 home runs already. Yes, he's striking out a lot and isn't going to progress through teh system quite as fast as the optimists had hoped, but this hardly means his stock is dropping. I'd also note that despite the .050 point drop in BA from Elizabethon to Beloit, his OBP has remained the same, which means he's taking A TON more walks... My guess is that he's probably letting a few too many called strikes go by, which is far easier to improve on than simply flailing away at pitches out of the zone.

    I could see making a case that Arcia moves into the 1 spot simply because he's performing quite nicely at AA as a 22 year old, but that isn't because Sano is less of a propsect as much as it is that Arcia is becoming a nicer one, but let's be sensible. This kid has Miguel Cabrera potential, and that hasn't changed. Would I trade him for the right package? Sure, but those deals never happen.
    Not sure if you're responding to me or not but if you are you are misinterpreting my post. I didn't say his stock HAS dropped. I said it is more likely to drop than to rise. So if you're going to trade him the time is now. It's a question of risk management. Yes, he has high upside. But as with all young prospects there is a VERY real chance he never fulfills that potential.

  18. #38
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,742
    Like
    620
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    This post is completely backwards. There are actually potentially more good FA pitchers this year than normal. Liriano, even pitching like he is right now, isn't at the top of that list. Toss in the fact that over the last 5 years been one of the worst pitchers in baseball and he starts looking worse and worse. Hamels is close to a #1 pitcher and is looking to get paid like one. Let's toss out a list of pitchers better than Liriano historically and potential FA's this year:
    The market for Liriano will be in the 3/30 range I think. High upside at relatively low risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Cole Hamels - turned down 130m offer from Phils / too expensive / low-reward/$
    Zach Greinke - likely to earn as much as Hamels / too expensive / low -reward/$
    Edwin Jackson - good candidate - any interest in MN?
    R.A. Dickey - 38 yrs old, any interest in coming back to MN?
    Gavin Floyd - 3rd starter, low-reward/$
    Dan Haren - back problems / declining fastball velocity / too expen sive / low-reward/$
    Colby Lewis - backfill / innings eater type. might be worthwhile at low price
    Shaun Marcum - bum elbow. backfill / innings eater type.
    Brandon McCarthy - good candidate
    Jake Peavy - interesting candidate at the right price
    Anibal Sanchez - good candidate at right price / unproven success in AL
    not all are more appealing than Liriano.

  19. #39
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,391
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    The market for Liriano will be in the 3/30 range I think. High upside at relatively low risk. Not all are more appealing than Liriano.
    Low risk? You're talking about committing ~10% of your team salary. That is risky even for players with good track records. Look at Morneau. You are talking about giving that to a pitcher that has been below league average the last 5 years. That is the definition of high risk.

    Liriano vs. League since 2008
    ERA WHIP k/9 bb/9 IP/GS
    Liriano 4.61 1.409 8.6 4.0 5.8
    League 4.26 1.35 6.7 3.0 5.9

  20. #40
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,742
    Like
    620
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Advanced metrics tell a different story. Also Morneau is 6/80, a far cry from 3/30.

    Of the players you listed before, all would command 3/30 or more with no chance of putting together seasons comparable to liriano circa 2006 or 2010. Yes, Liriano is inconsistent but at 3/30 it would not be an albatross and could easily return a surplus value, where as a deal for Hamels / Greinke who would command something like 5 / 140 or more and very quickly turn into an albatrosszx

    Returning to the original point, the best bargain is on younger better pitchers under team control for next 2-4 years, namely Hernandez and Price. This combined with a 3/30m liriano deal and a return to form from either Baker or Gibson, contributions from Pavano, Blackburn, Hendriks, et al. at the back, and you are better prepared for success 2013-2015 or longer, rather than putting all your eggs in the Sano basket and floundering at the fringe of the playoff picture as the White Sox .cca 2012.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 07-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.