Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Sano?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trade Sano?

Under the new CBA, teams are more reluctant than ever to trade top prospects. So, should the Twins take advantage of this climate and shop their number one prospect, SS/3B Miguel Sano, for a current starting pitcher, in preparation to make a run in 2013-2014?

Here are some candidates with 2-4 years of team control remaining, in no particular order:

1. David Price, 26 (FA in 2016)
    2. Mark Buehrle, 33 (signed thru 2015 for 4/58)
    3. Cliff Lee, 33 (signed thru 2015 for 5/120)
    4. Felix Hernandez, 26 (signed thru 2014 for 5/78)

I'll hang up and listen.

-Willihammer
    Last edited by Willihammer; 07-23-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A team that is considers "sellers" should not trade a top prospect for established major leaguers

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    I would have to think that the Twins see Sano as part of a possible 2014 or 2015 run. I would put him on an "untouchable" list and keep him in the organization. There's too much potential there.

You listed some good pitchers (As much as I like him, I don't think Buehrle should be on the list of pitchers to look at), but I think there are other ways to get pitching without giving up one of your future core players for a playoff run next year that still looks like a pipe dream.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. Extra double super no. Sano is a great prospect and the Twins will badly need his infield bat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    NO!

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Sano foe David Price? Yes.

Otherwise, no.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say No as well, but it certainly is an interesting way to look at being a seller.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    It doesn't make sense for a 90+ loss team to trade a future piece for 2 years of Cliff Lee (Phillies would love that trade). Sano should be part of the rebuilding plan. You could consider trading him if you thought he could bring back the pieces that put you over the top (Twins apparently offered then #1 prospect Hicks and #3 Ramos for Lee a few years back).

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    There are 50+ or so players/prospects I would trade Sano straight up for at this point, unfortunately none of those teams would make that trade.

I would trade Sano for Price in a heartbeat but there is no way TB would do that.

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you're trading a guy with the ceiling of the next Miguel Cabrera, you better get more than 1 major league starter back, and that includes David Price. While I don't think Sano is untouchable, I don't think there is any team that would give up what I would want in return for him (I'm talking a King Felix and Danny Hultzen package, or a Taillon/Cole package). I don't think either Sea or Pit says yes to that, even if we included Arcia and another piece.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i suppose no one is "untouchable" but sano would be about as close as they come to that tag.
    formerly known as torii_hunter_mvp on byto.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I'd consider Price and King Felix, yes. Sano might not ever hit (though I agree he looks like a future star), and those two are proving it in the majors right now. Everyone is tradable, you just need the right return.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Price maybe, but in all seriousness, for the other names you mentioned this would make Capps for Ramos look tame. I could see if it if Sano was blocked or something along those lines, but at this stage of the game, it would have to be an unbelievable offer to send him packing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    I would trade Sano straight up for any of the highly regarded young pitchers that are under team control long term. To me Sano seems a risky prospect. His BABIP has been very high before this year. This year it is at an average level and his batting average and xBH rate have all dropped accordingly. Unless he can reign in those K rates offensively he is Mike Restovich or Adam Dunn.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's a clown question, bro!

Liked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    That's a clown question, bro!
    Nicely done.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano is mightily struggling right now.... 0-4 yesterday
    0-3 with 3 K's already today..... and going to be batting in the .230's soon.

So if Twins management, player development....think he's only going to do well next year by repeating the MidWest Lg. And probably be a disaster at Ft. Myers in the FSL. Than i'd certainly be open to trading him, if it meant him and Blackburn or him and Hendriks to get a David Price like talent in here. (doesn't mean i'd trade him)

However, if you think he'll destroy the FSL or MDWL next year, and are confident he'll stop Striking out 25-30 % of the time, (i'm not sure i do) than you MOST DEFINATELY KEEP Sano. The Walks are there (GREAT) but the K's are toooo much, even for a power hiter like Sano.

At this point, he's not even nearly as good as the Cubs 2B/3B prospect Javier Baez in the MDWL..... and arguably a lesser prospect than OF Jorge Bonifacio (royals)

He's certainly the best we've got, but his stock, to me, is rapidly dropping.

BTW, he's a 3B/1B prospect not a SS/3B prospect.
    Last edited by shs_59; 07-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    He's certainly the best we've got, but his stock, to me, is rapidly dropping.
    I'm not going to disagree with you, because I started to feel the same way...

But when Sano's name came up in a BA chat the response was something along the lines of, "it's too early to panic, we expected him to strikeout and we expected him to struggle at third. He has the best raw power in the minors and that hasn't changed. He can improve footwork and he's got a cannon."

Don't panic.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah Jeremy, You're right. I mean I may be about ready to relinquish any thoughts/ imagination of him being a future 3B. (I think he'll be our heir 1B)

But I"m certianly not ready to be "scared" of the Strikouts and Lack of puting the ball in play more, as a concern.
    The guy has enormous offensive potential, power even still. And could wind up even better than many of us may expect.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast