Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: Article: Frankie's Final Start?

  1. #1
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,674
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    318

    Article: Frankie's Final Start?


  2. #2
    Senior Member Triple-A raindog's Avatar
    Posts
    297
    Like
    45
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    It's been an absolute delight watching Liriano since he rejoined the rotation. I would love to watch him dominate the White Sox tonight. And if he's traded, he'll definitely be missed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    I will be very disappointed if Minnesota doesn't keep Liriano.

  4. #4
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,685
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,326
    Liked 1,831 Times in 1,071 Posts
    I'll be at the game tonight and hope he pitches a 'lights-out' game. Yes, a fine performance would help his value and leverage for the Twins to get a good package for him, but for me, more importantly, more than any other team, I just hate losing to the White Sox. Hope this trade stuff doesn't make its way to his head in any way.

  5. #5
    I think it's worth noting the fact that Liriano has done exceptionally well since Butera has been his personal catcher. Earlier in the season when Gardy wanted to start the year with 2 catchers (Mauer & Doumit), his ERA was over 9. They later called up Butera from AAA but Frankie was already in the bullpen by then. After being moved back to the starting rotation Drew has been his personal catcher and his ERA has been under 3. Yesterday they teamed Drew with Sam Deduno and it was Sam's best start by far since his call up. I realize Drew Butera is a problem offensively but he is an asset handling pitchers and with the current state of the rotation, that should not be overlooked.

  6. #6
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,213
    Like
    366
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I'm more mixed now when I hear he doesn't want to be traded, but obviously there's no long term plan in place either... It's still probably best that he be traded..

  7. #7
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,997
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,505 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jpodratz1 View Post
    I think it's worth noting the fact that Liriano has done exceptionally well since Butera has been his personal catcher. Earlier in the season when Gardy wanted to start the year with 2 catchers (Mauer & Doumit), his ERA was over 9. They later called up Butera from AAA but Frankie was already in the bullpen by then. After being moved back to the starting rotation Drew has been his personal catcher and his ERA has been under 3. Yesterday they teamed Drew with Sam Deduno and it was Sam's best start by far since his call up. I realize Drew Butera is a problem offensively but he is an asset handling pitchers and with the current state of the rotation, that should not be overlooked.
    On the other hand, Butera caught Liriano last season and both were awful. In Liriano's best season, Mauer primarily caught him.

    Let's not start dishing off credit to undeserving players. Liriano is pitching better because he's throwing harder, not because he has a different catcher.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    On the other hand, Butera caught Liriano last season and both were awful. In Liriano's best season, Mauer primarily caught him.

    Let's not start dishing off credit to undeserving players. Liriano is pitching better because he's throwing harder, not because he has a different catcher.
    Quit with the reasonability. A few years ago I got my first massage and that night my grandma died. Therefore - massages kill grandmas.

  9. #9
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,213
    Like
    366
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    On the other hand, Butera caught Liriano last season and both were awful. In Liriano's best season, Mauer primarily caught him.

    Let's not start dishing off credit to undeserving players. Liriano is pitching better because he's throwing harder, not because he has a different catcher.
    he seems to be able to locate his fastball a bit better too. When he's walking 5 guys a start, he's usually a disaster, no matter how many guys he can strike out.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,895
    Like
    75
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    he seems to be able to locate his fastball a bit better too. When he's walking 5 guys a start, he's usually a disaster, no matter how many guys he can strike out.
    Didn't we dispell the magic Butera notion in the other thread?

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,135
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by jpodratz1 View Post
    I think it's worth noting the fact that Liriano has done exceptionally well since Butera has been his personal catcher. Earlier in the season when Gardy wanted to start the year with 2 catchers (Mauer & Doumit), his ERA was over 9. They later called up Butera from AAA but Frankie was already in the bullpen by then. After being moved back to the starting rotation Drew has been his personal catcher and his ERA has been under 3. Yesterday they teamed Drew with Sam Deduno and it was Sam's best start by far since his call up. I realize Drew Butera is a problem offensively but he is an asset handling pitchers and with the current state of the rotation, that should not be overlooked.
    well... I think that it is a chicken and egg situation. The previous 2 seasons Twins' pitchers had the worst ERA and the highest opponent OPS with Butera rather than any other catcher. This season has been reversed. I suspect Liriano has a lot to do with that trend Here are the numbers (for the total Twins' pitching staff) :

    2010:

    Butera: ERA 4.13, OOPS .747,
    Mauer: ERA 3.81, OOPS .723,
    Ramos: ERA 3.29, OOPS .707,

    2011:

    Butera: ERA 4.92, OOPS .794,
    Mauer: ERA 4.43, OOPS .775,
    Rivera: ERA 3.91, OOPS .716,

    2012:

    Butera: ERA 3.84, OOPS .655,
    Mauer: ERA 5.46, OOPS .851,
    Doumit: ERA 5.06, OOPS .801,

    So basically using your argument, based on 2011, Rivera and not Butera should have been the Twins' backup catcher.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  12. #12
    Member Single-A jlovren's Avatar
    Posts
    72
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    I am not sure but it seems that he throwing a lot more sliders since May. Hmmmm.... more sliders means better pitching. Oh and massages kill grandmas.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Double-A COtwin's Avatar
    Posts
    113
    Like
    2
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I say we start a bunch of fake blogs talking up how it is all butera. Maybe even get Gardy to say something public. Then trade them as a package deal for more. Kill two rocks with one bird.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    What happens to his value if he throws a No-No tonight? Can we still trade him? Does that violate one of those unwritten baseball rules?

    I have always thought we should trade Frankie in that he is so inconsistent, but when I look at other teams pitching he is just the type we will be targeting in a trade. Plenty of upside and unfulfilled potential. I guess it all depends on what we get in return. If we get some real value, with players that will help us for seasons to come, I agreee with the trade. If we are just moving him to avoid losing him as a FA without any compensation, then I say keep him and see if we can come to an agreement on a 2 or 3 year deal after the season ends.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    569
    Like
    134
    Liked 140 Times in 78 Posts
    I would like to see the Twins sign Liriano to an extension. He said he would like to stay - offer the chance. I just get the feeling that he is figuring out what it takes to be successful, and he's more worthy of a roll of the dice that anyone else out there. If something in the neighborhood of 3 years/$27M could get it done, I'd do it.

  16. #16
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,495
    Like
    3,512
    Liked 3,012 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Obviously the Twins should only sign Latino pitchers from this point forward. With the Latino Pitcher Whisperer behind the dish we'd have the greatest pitching staff ever assembled.

    As to the subject of this thread, I hope that rather than Frankie's last start for the Twins, this is the one that convinces them that teams with little to no starting pitching should be assembling a major league staff, not dismantling one, and a 3 yr extension is announced this week.

    Trading an outfielder or two for pitching makes sense. There are potential cheap replacements on the way, and plenty of serviceable and reasonably priced options in free agency every winter. Starting pitching is harder and costlier to come by.

    Trading pitching for pitching is at best nothing more than spinning your wheels, and at worst you lose what you have and the prospects never amount to anything.

    I still think the right moves now, and some money this winter, means we don't have to suffer through two or three more 90 loss seasons waiting for the "rebuild" to bear fruit. They have the money and the core of a team to turn this around next year, and without jeopardizing the future by dealing most of their minor league assets.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,532
    Like
    60
    Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
    There is no need for Frankie the last two months of a broken season. If the Twins want him next year, they are just as able to sign him as any other team should they choose to this off-season. At this point there is no way he signs a mid-season extension seeing as he's the hottest pitcher in the league right now. If Hamels and/or Greinke end up signing deals with their current teams, Liriano and his agent are going to be licking their chops this off-season. To get a deal done now would mean the Twins would have to severly overpay.

  18. #18
    Whether or not it is the Drew factor, Frankie is pitching as well as he has in years. Do we sign him to a 3 year extension--very risky for a guy who is inconsistent?? Do we keep him and risk losing him for nothing in the fall?? No way would I offer him the $12million it would take to get compensation.

    Hard call--if we trade him we must get a top notch prospect. I am not being paid the big bucks Terry Ryan is--so I wont make the call...

  19. #19
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,213
    Like
    366
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Didn't we dispell the magic Butera notion in the other thread?
    I wasn't disagreeing with Pig at all, if you notice I've consistently agreed with him on this topic... I just added that his ability to locate his fastball (which I'd argue has little to nothing to do with Butera) is also part of his resurgence.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Double-A PMKI's Avatar
    Posts
    128
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If Liriano doesn't want to be traded like somebody up above said than maybe we can trade him and get some good prospects and then sign him again in the offseason.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.