Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torii Hunter and the Twins in 2013

Torii Hunter and the Twins in 2013

Torii Hunter will be a free agent in 2013. Assuming the Twins trade Span or Revere, if the price was right would you want the Twins to sign Torii to a one or two year deal?

He's going to hit .270 with 20 HR and drive in 85-90 runs. He could play right field. Might be good for ticket sales. What say you?
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    Torii Hunter will be a free agent in 2013. Assuming the Twins trade Span or Revere, if the price was right would you want the Twins to sign Torii to a one or two year deal?

He's going to hit .270 with 20 HR and drive in 85-90 runs. He could play right field. Might be good for ticket sales. What say you?
    1 year yes. 2 years? no way.

1 year 4-5 mil sounds about right. He could play a solid RF and fill in at DH when needed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    No way, Torii would never want to play for the lowly Twins anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Last week he said he would be open in returning to the Twins. He said the Angels, Rangers and Twins all interest him with his preference being staying in LA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Torii has said previously that he would be interested in returning to the Twins, and I am sure that he would be welcomed back with open arms by many fans (me included). However, I think the Twins will have to pry him away from the Angels to get him, as he has also expressed interest in staying with the Angels, and if they are willing to overpay to keep him, I am just fine with that too. While he would be a strong, Old Guard MN presence, I am not sure that his hitting style really fits Target Field.

If the Twins don't move Span or Willingham, I don't think that they bring him back. It is more likely that they will go with Hunter if they trade Span, move Revere over to center, and keep Willingham in left. While this would keep Parmalee from having a starting spot, Torii would be well worth the veteran addition to the clubhouse that he would bring.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    1 year yes. 2 years? no way.

1 year 4-5 mil sounds about right. He could play a solid RF and fill in at DH when needed.
    I don't think Torii could be had for $5M a year. You think .267/.328/.418 and 20 HRs and above average OF defense is only worth $5M a year? Who are some comps? Johnny Damon (.261/.326/.418) made $5.75M for the Rays in 2011. Coco Crisp (.264/.314/.369) is making $6M and will make $7M next year.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nostalgia can often hinder one's vision. I think it would be a mistake. Let's move forward with the pieces we have or will have and leave that past glory where it remains now. If you think about it, it wasn't all that glorious to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    I don't think Torii could be had for $5M a year. You think .267/.328/.418 and 20 HRs and above average OF defense is only worth $5M a year? Who are some comps? Johnny Damon (.261/.326/.418) made $5.75M for the Rays in 2011. Coco Crisp (.264/.314/.369) is making $6M and will make $7M next year.
    He also will be turning 38 next season and has showed significant decline in all aspects of his game the past couple seasons.

I'm sure he will be looking for more and someone may give it to him, I'd just be interested in him for around a one year 5 mil contract. (Maybe even less) I'm not sure the Angels will really have room for him next year anyways, so the market could be somewhat thin.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why on earth would the Twins sign a FA OF? Hunter isn't even going to get 20 homers this year. His OPS has dropped each year since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Why on earth would the Twins sign a FA OF? Hunter isn't even going to get 20 homers this year. His OPS has dropped each year since 2009.
    Let's wait and see if he gets 20 HR. Assume Span is traded. Who's going to play RF for the Twins next year? I think it would be nice to have Willingham and Hunter in the lineup.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
    I think he makes sense on a one year deal for both on the field and marketing reasons. No idea what he would cost or if other teams would have interest.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    You got a half dozen OFers waiting in the wings why would you buy one.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you are gonna bring back a guy who is close to retirement simply for nostalgia and his bat, go sign Thome. At least he has always been respectful towards the organization and the fans. Hunter is kind of a dick.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
    You got a half dozen OFers waiting in the wings why would you buy one.
    Because none of them will be ready at the start of next year.
    Papers...business papers.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I feel like he always says that he would be "open to signing with" about any team the media asks him about. If 2013 is going to be a rebuilding year, get some of the young guys up and start getting an extended look at our overstock of outfielders.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 606 Times in 338 Posts
    Rangers and being close to home with a legit chance for a World Series title......or Minnesota. I would say we're behind in that race by a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Rangers and being close to home with a legit chance for a World Series title......or Minnesota. I would say we're behind in that race by a bit.
    Will the Rangers have a spot for him?

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Will the Rangers have a spot for him?
    How has Oswalt been pitching lately?

Torii has already stated that he's not interested in the Twins....but will deny it after saying it.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 736 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Because none of them will be ready at the start of next year.
    I'd probably throw Parmalee out there next year until Morneau is gone. Once Morneau is traded or his contract finishes, you move Chris to first base and call up whichever of Hicks/Arcia/Benson seems the most ready. Come 2014, we start thinking of trading Revere and/or Willingham depending on how the other two are doing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast