Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Top 20 prospects?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Top 20 prospects?

    I was looking at the MLB.com list of the twins top 20 prospects...Is it just me, or is it a little worrying that only one of those guys is at AAA? Sure there are cases of guys who jump straight from AA to the bigs, but there are also plenty of stories of guys who were hotshots in the lower minors that never made it The Show.

  2. #2
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    That's part of the problem. If there were any decent prospects in AAA, they'd already be in Minneapolis.

    Though I still have hope for Hendriks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    The upside is that some of the lower-level players have real potential, and will be at the higher levels in a year or two.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    The upside is that some of the lower-level players have real potential, and will be at the higher levels in a year or two.
    This can be said about almost any team. Are the Twins prospects better than the Tigers, White Sox, Indians, Royals prospects?
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    I'd be much more worried if any of the current AAA team was considered "top 20 prospects" in our system

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,991
    Like
    4
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Some of the top 20 prospects are worthy of being in AAA (Hicks, Herrmann, and even Arcia) and others like Gibson and Wimmers would be if not for injuries, so that is not troubling.

    As far as comparing the rest of the division, the Twins are probably third, at the moment, but this draft could maybe move them ahead of Cleveland by next year.

  7. #7
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    at what age do they stop being prospects? AAA is for mlb scrubs or AAAA players and a handful of true prospects. but yes be worried,our farm system is a joke, our system is a joke, from our owner to our president to our g.m and manager, add in his laughable @ssclown posse

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,991
    Like
    4
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    The farm system is not a joke (though I think people making decisions about promotions need to be fired) after the past two drafts. Again, properly, Rochester would have a lineup of:

    Hicks RF
    Herrmann C
    Benson CF
    Parmelee 1B
    Carson DH/LF
    Tosoni LF/DH
    Romero 3B (Valencia traded)
    Florimon SS
    Nishioka 2B

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    435
    Like
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I think the Twins system is a bit weaker at the top than it might be. A number of highly drafted prospects from the mid 2000's crapped out for various reasons, mostly injuries. Kelly and Thompsn could of helped in the middle infield, Sanchez for power. Hunt, Bashore and number of other pitching prospects, some still in the system could be ready to help by now.

    This could be an indictment of the Twins drafting for several years. Or it could be mostly bad luck. But, there is no doubt that there could be a few more prospects knocking on the door.

  10. #10
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    23
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    The farm system is not a joke (though I think people making decisions about promotions need to be fired) after the past two drafts. Again, properly, Rochester would have a lineup of:

    Hicks RF
    Herrmann C
    Benson CF
    Parmelee 1B
    Carson DH/LF
    Tosoni LF/DH
    Romero 3B (Valencia traded)
    Florimon SS
    Nishioka 2B
    Consider that this is Hicks first year in AA and he is hitting for neither power nor average. Benson had a horrible first half. Tosoni when up was a little beter than Clete. At AA ball, like Hicks is hitting for neither power nor average. Romero is not considered a very good third baseman. Properly Rochester would more likely be worse with your lineup. Is it the coaching or the players? Garret Jones who could not beat out Justin Morneau is doing fine. Other than that, I cannot recall any Twins minor leaugers who went elsewhere to stardom, or regular big leauge playing time. That leaves the source of the problem of the Twins minor leauges to the scouts or the person who makes decisions based on the scouting.

  11. #11
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    23
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Other teams when I looked at them had a lot of their top prospects in the low minors also. Low minor players have potential upside. The higher they go, some lose the potential upside, replaced by a lower player's upside.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,991
    Like
    4
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Consider that this is Hicks first year in AA and he is hitting for neither power nor average. Benson had a horrible first half. Tosoni when up was a little beter than Clete. At AA ball, like Hicks is hitting for neither power nor average. Romero is not considered a very good third baseman. Properly Rochester would more likely be worse with your lineup. Is it the coaching or the players? Garret Jones who could not beat out Justin Morneau is doing fine. Other than that, I cannot recall any Twins minor leaugers who went elsewhere to stardom, or regular big leauge playing time. That leaves the source of the problem of the Twins minor leauges to the scouts or the person who makes decisions based on the scouting.
    Uh, Hicks is have a fine year, with an OPS above .800. He IS hitting for adequate power and has exceptional speed. All I mean to say is that these guys could easily replace their AAA counterparts so it is rather false that there are no prospects at the top of the system.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,840
    Like
    10
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Uh, Hicks is have a fine year, with an OPS above .800. He IS hitting for adequate power and has exceptional speed. All I mean to say is that these guys could easily replace their AAA counterparts so it is rather false that there are no prospects at the top of the system.
    Hicks is having a fine season for sure, but what benefit is there to not letting him finish a full season at AA. There is little to gain by rushing people into AAA. He should be there next year and ready to join the Twins by mid-season.
    Papers...business papers.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,293
    Like
    32
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
    This can be said about almost any team. Are the Twins prospects better than the Tigers, White Sox, Indians, Royals prospects?
    According to the midseason prospect rankings the Twins have 4 near locks to be in top 100's (Sano, Buxton, Arcia and Rosario). I also wouldn't be shocked if Hicks or Gibson made it back into top 100's. Combine that with a lot of interesting lower level guys (Boyd, Boer, Goodrum, Harrison, Berrios) and the system is pretty good imo. There are better but there is a lot of talent although most of it is at lower levels and there are few good pitchers.

  15. #15
    Think you guys are severly underestimating Clet Thomas, who has a .513slgg since June 1!!!
    Cmon teams need these guys....no reason to promote your own guys!!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    The prospects at the lower end just seem so much more interesting. Kepler, Goodrum, Boyd, Harrison, and Walker all look extremely promising. Let's not forget about Amaurys Minier either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.