Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Stress of the Trade Deadline

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Stress is internal. We all control how we react to what life throws at us. I would hope that a multi-millionaire would find the proper perspective in life to realize that they have it easy compared to 99.99+% of the world, and that they should not get stressed about this. That said, it isn't that easy, and we have been conditioned by our society to worry about a lot of stuff that isn't really worth worrying about, so I would imagine that the trade deadline is stressful to these guys.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I have no doubt in my mind that the Twins try to win every game they play.
    Except for the month of April, and getaway day games.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Except for the month of April, and getaway day games.
    I'm pretty much sure that, regardless of the lineup, the team is trying to win every game. Days off are part of the 162 game season. Has to be done. And, there have not been 'getaway day' lineups this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm pretty much sure that, regardless of the lineup, the team is trying to win every game. Days off are part of the 162 game season. Has to be done. And, there have not been 'getaway day' lineups this year.
    Actually, I agree with you that they have done way better this year with afternoon game lineups. The April games and afternoon lineups just always seems to be a running joke. It seemed fitting.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Stress is having a couple young kids at home and being told your job won't be there Monday. Stress is learning your kid needs chemo and you don't have health insurance.

Stress isn't the possibility that you'll have to move from one highly paid, pampered job to another, all expenses paid.

Yes, ball players are human, but c'mon. Let's not pretend this is terribly "stressful."
    I applaud your good sense, Chief

Team has been better with getaway lineups for sure.....more due to 3 person bench's than due to change of philosiphy from Gardy.
    As for Span & his stress, I lost repsect for him when earlier this year Gardy spoke of how 'devastated' Denard would be if he had to move to RF for Revere. The guy is mentally soft (not due to consussions either)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    obviously they TRY to win every gm, but the decision to NOT use Jaret Burton on 3 consucutive days (when leading in late innings) is an example of how they dont use everything they have to win every day....hope to win, but resting Jaret is more important than winning....that particular day.
    Twins often consider resting someone 'more important IMO' to winning (obviously they try to win tho). They havent done it last 2 yrs due to injuries, but the day game B squad out there in the series finale is another example. Trevor not playing today (when theyve said he COULD) to rest an injury 1 more day (tho this is farther down my list). That's what Im talkin bout.
    There is a balance in this situation. You need to rest players so they will be good and able to perform over the long haul of a season and the years they are part of the team. If they pitch Burton, a guy who has been injured most of the past couple of seasons, too much and too frequently he will break down again. Slightly increasing the odds of one victory is not worth the risk of the player breaking down for the second half of the year, or being able to contribute next year. These are the tradeoffs managers need to make every year.

I often thought that this was a hidden strength of Gardy in the past decade. They would rest players in a manner that seemed excessive, but they were always a team that finished the regular season strong (and then get smoked in the playoffs). Obviously the last two seasons have rendered this moot.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Stress is having a couple young kids at home and being told your job won't be there Monday. Stress is learning your kid needs chemo and you don't have health insurance.

Stress isn't the possibility that you'll have to move from one highly paid, pampered job to another, all expenses paid.

Yes, ball players are human, but c'mon. Let's not pretend this is terribly "stressful."
    I don't know. If I worked for a company for ten years and then knew I had to up and move at a time not of my choosing to work the same job for a different company, even if I was being paid well, that would still be a pretty stressful time in my life.

Sure it's nowhere near the situations you mentioned, but I used to get stressed when I had a 10 page paper due in less than 2 days. Think how insignificant that is in the grand scheme of things.
    Papers...business papers.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Joe Mauer is perhaps the only player on this squad that can reasonably assume they are Twins for life.

For everyone else...Trades... FA signings... Cuts... Are part of the game. Span may want to stay and thats great but I'm sure that Span knows that he could end up somewhere else. If trade talk effects him... We should move him for that reason. It wouldn't be good to have someone that unsteady on the roster.

I don't believe for a second that Span can't handle trade talk.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This team is 25-23 since bottoming out at 15-32 on May 27. The teams needs are glaring (starting pitching and middle infield), but I don't think they should blow the team up because, while it MIGHT strengthen an area of weakness, it WILL weaken another area. Span, Willingham, Doumit and Perkins are good players on good contracts, Nishioka and Blackburn are bad players on bad contracts. Morneau is still serviceable and showing signs of improvement, though he might struggle when he returns. Mauer's contract is what it is and he is a future HOF'er at his current rate of production. The rest of the roster is interchangeable in that they aren't going to help another team, but aren't really hurting the Twins and there are more just like them at AA and AAA. A slow start by just about everyone hurt this team more than anything, plus the various injuries. Unless they are overwhelmed in a trade offer (which it sounds like Ryan is holding out for), keep 'em together, add some kids and free agents next year, keep drafting well and maybe, just maybe Your Minnesota Twins will catch lightening in a bottle sooner rather than later.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    very rarely do teams get "blown up" at the deadline... it just doesn't happen... Dealing both Span and Liriano will take quite a bit of front office resources to accomplish, so I doubt the team will be completely blown up.

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    There is a balance in this situation. You need to rest players so they will be good and able to perform over the long haul of a season and the years they are part of the team. If they pitch Burton, a guy who has been injured most of the past couple of seasons, too much and too frequently he will break down again. Slightly increasing the odds of one victory is not worth the risk of the player breaking down for the second half of the year, or being able to contribute next year. These are the tradeoffs managers need to make every year.

I often thought that this was a hidden strength of Gardy in the past decade. They would rest players in a manner that seemed excessive, but they were always a team that finished the regular season strong (and then get smoked in the playoffs). Obviously the last two seasons have rendered this moot.
    How many times have we won back to back games rendering Burton unusable??? Im not saying he should be in 3 straight games, but NEVER?? Its cost em wins...which I thought were the goal. Burton & Perk have been unable to pitch due to overuse in a year when we are one of the worst teams in baseball. He's using these guys when behind & then rendering them out in a possible win. But again, when Gardy does it & wins...he's awesome, when he does & loses, its the players. He cant do any wrong with some.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trading Span and Liriano for starting pitching does what? Right now Liriano is pitching as good as any starting pitcher being made available so that would be a wash and Span is currently better better than Mastroianni, Tosoni, Benson, Hicks, Thomas, Parmalee, etc... so that would be a step backwards. Same with Willingham, none of the righthanded mashers, Sano, ????, ????, etc... are major league ready. Starting pitching is the teams biggest concern right now, so keep running bodies out there and hope for 6 innings so the BP can settle into their roles. All hands on deck!

Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    Trading Span and Liriano for starting pitching does what? Right now Liriano is pitching as good as any starting pitcher being made available so that would be a wash and Span is currently better better than Mastroianni, Tosoni, Benson, Hicks, Thomas, Parmalee, etc... so that would be a step backwards. Same with Willingham, none of the righthanded mashers, Sano, ????, ????, etc... are major league ready. Starting pitching is the teams biggest concern right now, so keep running bodies out there and hope for 6 innings so the BP can settle into their roles. All hands on deck!
    So trade nobody & stay status quo/lose Liriano after the season for nothing???
    I could be talked into taking the draft pick for Frankie if they prospects offerred arent high enough.
    Benson, Arcia, Hicks......DONT LIST THOMAS PLEASE....are very very close. Right now, maybe not...but nxt yr, sure.
    Denard is an ok player, dime a dozen type tho. Decent average, OBP, poor base stealer/baserunner...good CF but not better than Revere who's a better clone of Denard.....alwasys run into possibility of hurting Spans feelings also.
    Does all depend on who's offerred tho

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts

Chief, you work with people who move all the time. The shorter the notice, the more stress. More money doesn't necessarily reduce the stress, although they obviously have more resources to throw at the stressors. It's still difficult to pick up and move, whether you're an A1C with a wife and kid, a Major married to a Captain with no kids, or a ballplayer making $1M+.

The military member is going to have a few days to take care of business; the ballplayer is going to be expected to be in uniform in Toronto (or wherever) the next night.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do not think Span is a great CF, but he is better than the alternatives at this point. If the team wants FA's to come here in the future they can't trade Willingham after a little more than half a season. Liriano brings the best return, but right now he is better than what the team has and they aren't getting another starting pitcher in return for him. If they are willing to offer him $12M and are currently paying Pavano and Baker upwards of $8M, I think they could offer $10-14M to 1 or 2 of the upcoming free agents and bridge the gap until the current prospects or draft choices are ready.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Frankie wants to play for the Twins and I want him to play for the Twins. What is coming between us?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I don't believe for a second that Span can't handle trade talk.
    For what it's worth, I heard from people I trust that Span did not react well at all to his name being floated in rumors around this time last year.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Sometimes things in life don't go perfectly. If one of those things is being traded to another team (who has a better chance of winning now) while they still pay you multi millions a year, yeah I just don't see how that is really just that stressful.

If you don't want to handle the "stress" that comes with being traded or speculated that you might be traded, then negotiate into your contract a no trade clause, I'm sure at the time the Twins would have been more than happy to grant Span a no trade clause if he would have accepted a couple million dollars less per season. I mean I imagine it would suck to be traded suddenly and would be an inconvenience to find a new place to live etc, but the nice thing is you would have plenty of money/help in order to get you situated quickly.

I feel a lot worse for the throw in minor league guy who gets traded and is only making 50k a year.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 07-22-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    For what it's worth, I heard from people I trust that Span did not react well at all to his name being floated in rumors around this time last year.
    I don't doubt that. 2nd year of a 5 year deal and then the club falls apart around him while he sits out with a concussion.

All of sudden he becomes the focus of a trade to the Nationals. He wasn't expecting a collapse of that nature when he signed that contract and his name is the one being tossed around in a trade.

Time has gone by now... He's had enough time to come to grips with the business.

When I say can't handle the trade talk... I say that he can still go out and function as a ballplayer. He might not like the trade talk but I don't believe that it lessens him as a player.

If trade talk does diminish Denard on the field... Trade him tomorrow and don't look back cuz trades can become a shadow at any time. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

My boss will throw his stapler in fits of rage. Shake it off and do his job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast