Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Affiliation Dance about to begin?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Savannah extended with the Mets, so cross that one off our lists.

http://savannah.sandgnats.milb.com/n...=.jsp&sid=t543
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jeff Flickenger of the Beloit Daily News talked to Matt Bosen, the GM of the Snappers, Jim Rantz and others on the Beloit situation. Definitely worth a read: http://www.beloitdailynews.com/news/...9bb2963f4.html

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link, Seth. Too bad about the Snappers losing their head groundskeeper. I thought he had the field looking pretty decent when I was up there.

The GM comments about July being a tough month for attendance rings familiar. CR had a down season attendance-wise, as well, and it's pretty easy to point at the ridiculously hot July-August stretch that hurt the most. Nobody was going to the ballpark when it was 100 degrees out there.

Not sure when the interview was conducted, but as we've figured out, there have been a number of Class A renewals since people talked about 16 total Class A contracts being up. Looks like we're now down to 11. 9 in MWL and 2 in SAL.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Blog Entries
    If the Nationals were considering leaving Hagerstown due to the field and attendance, they may rethink things. Looks like an anonymous citizen has agreed with the city to cover half of the $30 million cost of a new stadium, that would open in 2015.

http://sunsfanclub.blogspot.com/2012...s-private.html

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the biggest surprise this offseason in the MWL is Fort Wayne telling the Padres that they will not renew, and Quad Cities leaving, albeit we already know they will be in Peoria. There is still no team that is the front runner for Beloit, we will know between next Tuesday and Thursday. Beloit really has no leverage. Fort Wayne holds all the keys, because any team wants to get into Fort Wayne and they get to chose the lucky team.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

I talked to Matt Bosen a couple weeks ago about the Twins leaving, and he mentioned some of the improvements he hinted at in the article. He didn't get into many specifics, but said they were hoping to add new batting cages and make some improvements to the field itself.

Do we know that St. Louis is heading to Peoria, as in have their been any solid rumors, or is that just the assumption because it makes sense as a location? I have to think that St. Louis would be the pick of the litter for most all of the MWL openings, and someone like Fort Wayne could make a pretty good offer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nowheresville View Post
    Do we know that St. Louis is heading to Peoria, as in have their been any solid rumors, or is that just the assumption because it makes sense as a location? I have to think that St. Louis would be the pick of the litter for most all of the MWL openings, and someone like Fort Wayne could make a pretty good offer.
    I think it's all supposition, at this point. It's logical, just as Twins to CR is logical. But the Cardinals' GM was their farm director in 2004 when Peoria ditched the Cards in favor of the Cubs. Geography certainly is one factor MLB teams consider, but it's not the only factor.

I'm not quite as certain that St. Louis would be the favorite pick from among MWL open cities. I've heard their front office is notorious for lack of communication with their minor league affiliate offices and the way they left the Quad Cities office twisting in the wind until the last minute would seem to be a pretty good example of that. Is that a huge deal to a minor league organization? I dunno... but I do know that the new Angels administration made little effort this summer to keep communication lines open and that factored in to CR's decision to look at other options after a 20 year relationship with the Halos.

Liked 1,199 Times in 697 Posts
    Just wanted to tell you all how much I enjoy reading this thread (almost daily now).

Have nothing to add about who will end up where but it's fun anticipating the shuffling.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What is the overlying issue that is causing so many teams (on both sides) to test the waters. Is it just a game of musical chairs, where since 1 or 2 are open everyone is open or is it more then that? Seems like there are a handful of MWL teams that have the upper hand, and a handful that will end up with whatever is left (Beloit is one). But it seems like there are a handful in the middle that are open as well. Just seems like I've heard way more this year then any other year when it comes to affiliate shuffling

Blog Entries
    Clinton extends with the Mariners. This one doesn't surprise me at all. Not much assurance that either organization would do better.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news...r_sea&c_id=sea

joeboo, I'm not really sure why there are so many moves happening this year other than there were just a ton of PDCs in the MWL expiring in the same year. Honestly, since Cedar Rapids has just pretty much automatically renewed with the Angels for the past 20 years, I haven't paid much attention before. I haven't even paid very much attention to where the Twins are affiliating until the past 2-3 years. I blame Seth Stohs for increasing my interest levels in that regard.

It does look like 2014 could be just about as interesting. Already there are 14 PDCs in low A that are set to expire in 2014 (8 in SAL and 6 in MWL). You can probably assume that a number of the remaining 10 PDCs still to be resolved in this Class will be for just a two years, so that 14 is likely to grow.
    Last edited by Jim Crikket; 09-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I blame Seth Stohs for increasing my interest levels in that regard.
    I apologize!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I apologize!
    No you don't. You aren't sorry at all!

Then again, neither am I. In fact, if the Twins don't get better pretty damn soon, I'll probably be more interested in their minor leaguers than I will the Big Leaguers for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    What is the overlying issue that is causing so many teams (on both sides) to test the waters. Is it just a game of musical chairs, where since 1 or 2 are open everyone is open or is it more then that?
    It seems to me there is minor league equivalent of a 7-year itch - its just 8- years since milb agreements only come up on even number years.

If you go and look at the past 20-30 years of mwl history, most teams tend to switch affiliation about every 8 years. There are some situations that are exceptions, where Geography (Dayton, West Michigan, Lake County) or simple good relationships (Cedar Rapids) have created longer relationships.

The Twins spent 8 years in Beloit, 6 years in Quad Cities, 6 years in Fort Wayne, and 8 years in Kenosha (the Kenosha franchise moved to Fort Wayne).

And it goes the other way too, if you look at the histories of QC, Peoria, Kane County, etc, they've all typically swapped affiliates every 6-8 years.

I can't tell you exactly why, although I'd guess that as with anything, sometimes people are just ready for something new. Also after 6 years or so, you're typically dealing with a different group of people on at least one side of the equation, be it new ownership for the minor league team, or a new front office for the major league team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I apologize!
    No you don't. You aren't sorry at all!

Then again, neither am I. In fact, if the Twins don't get better pretty damn soon, I'll probably be more interested in their minor leaguers than I will the Big Leaguers for quite a while.
    Thats one of the by products of having a really bad ML team, more and more people start following the minors.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    An interesting thought: The original Fort Wayne franchise (early 90s) was a Twins' affiliate (Wizards). Wonder whether there is any interest there. And I think that based on the E-town team success and the Beloit success, the Twins might have the upper hand in putting a good product on an A ball field.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    I've heard the Twins have had internal discussions about possibly returning to Ft. Wayne, but the sense has been that it's a consideration in the event discussions with Cedar Rapids don't go well.

Yes, the Twins were affiliated with Ft. Wayne at one time, but it was entirely due to circumstances. They were affiliated with Kenosha when that franchise was moved to Ft. Wayne. Outside of that circumstance, the Twins have always been affiliated with a team in what's now the Western Division of the MWL: Wisconsin Rapids, Kenosha, Davenport and Beloit.

I'm still not as convinced CR/Twins is as much of a "done deal" as pretty much everyone else I talk to around here thinks it is, but I do believe it's highly likely. If, for whatever reason, they don't end up in CR, I do agree that Ft. Wayne is quite possibly the next most likely landing spot. I don't see them returning to Davenport after getting kicked out of there before and Burlington arguably wouldn't be much of a step up from Beloit in terms of facilities (and familiarity with the Beloit organization would more than make up for any slight upgrade). Ft. Wayne would clearly offer the best available facilities.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have also herd similar rumors about Fort Wayne, they have been picking up a lot recently.
    Fort Wayne pretty much has their choosing of which team they want. The Padres are the Wild Card team now. With Lunhow at helm, he will be putting the Astros, to QC so this is what it looks like.
    Beloit
    Kane County: Cubs
    Peoria: St.Louis
    Quad Cities: Houston
    Cedar Rapids
    Lexington
    Burlington
    Fort Wayne
    Haggerstown

Blog Entries
    Just was told the CR Board will be hosting meetings with potential teams early next week with team officials getting tours of the facilities and making presentations. These will occur over lunch hours or after work (the Board members are working stiffs, yanno).

I won't lie... I'm tempted to spend my lunch hours and post-work hours staking out the Kernels parking lot. Yes, I'm a sick, sick man.

I'm told a vote by the CR Board will take place possibly as early as Thursday. Should be done by Friday at the latest. There's obviously no time to screw around on this deal.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just was told the CR Board will be hosting meetings with potential teams early next week with team officials getting tours of the facilities and making presentations. These will occur over lunch hours or after work (the Board members are working stiffs, yanno).

I won't lie... I'm tempted to spend my lunch hours and post-work hours staking out the Kernels parking lot. Yes, I'm a sick, sick man.

I'm told a vote by the CR Board will take place possibly as early as Thursday. Should be done by Friday at the latest. There's obviously no time to screw around on this deal.
    They have a 3 day window, Tuesday-Thursday to negotiate. I wonder what the Padres are going to do? Fort Wayne probably wants Buxton or Correa as a marketing chip, so they can get better attendance (Although they are doing great already)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Talked to George Spelius in Appleton on Thursday, said that at 11:00 tomorrow morning he will receive a list of teams in the MWL that plan to seek new affiliation for next year. They have until 10:00 to figure out with their parent club if they will continue their relationship. Free Agency will begin Monday (if the world series is over Sunday) or Tuesday (if game 5 is needed)

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast