Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Affiliation Dance about to begin?

It sounds to me like the Twins going to Cedar Rapids would be all but a formality at this point. As much as I want them to stay in Beloit, going to the Kernals just makes too much sense for both sides.

Although I am curious as to why the Cubs would see Fort Wayne as a preferred spot.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Ft Wayne is one of the better MWL organizations and I would assume many teams would like to affiliate with them. They have a large, modern stadium that draws well and their proximity to Chicago would make them especially attractive to the Cubs, perhaps. Peoria has been losing attendance (and thus losing money) and that can obviously strain a relationship between affiliates.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

I've made a couple visits to Cedar Rapids in the last few years and love the ballpark. That would be a great place for the Twins to wind up.

Wichita is no longer a AA club; they're in the American Association with Lincoln and the Saints, among others.

I lived in Hibbing during Duluth's days in the Northern League and they didn't draw that hot. It's hard to imagine an affiliated team there. I agree with whoever said LaCrosse and similar cities in the area missed the boat several years back when the Midwest League expanded east.

I know Green Bay's a recent Northwoods League entry. What's their stadium situation? Certainly as a market, it would be better than Wausau or Duluth.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Aside from the league/city contracts I cannot understand why anyone would want a full season ball club north of the Twin cities. The weather is awful in April SOUTH of the Twin Cities and it gets worse as you move north. Cedar Rapids seems like a nice improvement at low A though.

With the Timber Rattlers just down the road in Appleton, Green Bay is an unlikely market for the MWL league. Realistically, the MWL is pretty stable right now so its pretty unlikely that any teams would be moving any time soon. Even the smallest markets of Beloit and Burlington are both run as community owned non-profits, so they're at least stable. Plus, I don't really see any Northwoods league cities making an effort to improve to MiLB. If any cities that currently have baseball made an effort to switch, I'd see it much more likely coming from somewhere in the (Independent) Frontier League, which are mostly IL/IN/MI cities that are closer to the MWL's current footprint.

Fort Wayne is one of the handful of MWL parks I haven't been to, and I didn't notice just how well they draw (2nd best in the league). If Peoria is struggling with the Cubs, I can't image how bad things would be there without them, considering that nearly every time a Cubs player goes on Rehab, it includes a stop in Peoria. Its also a nice park, and their staff members are among the best in the MWL, imho.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I think Ft Wayne is one of the better MWL organizations and I would assume many teams would like to affiliate with them. They have a large, modern stadium that draws well and their proximity to Chicago would make them especially attractive to the Cubs, perhaps. Peoria has been losing attendance (and thus losing money) and that can obviously strain a relationship between affiliates.
    The Padres put WAY too much money into that Stadium...but then again they are drawing more than AA ballparks. Fort Wayne is a lock to re up with San Diego.
    Here is the latest
    Cubs are likely headed to Kane county, Theo wants the Cubs fans (KC is a hour away from Chicago) to be a part of the rebuilding process, with Vogelbach and Almora in A ball next year, it seems like a perfect fin.
    Quad Cities, Fort Wayne and Dayton are a lock to re up
    Beloit is all but done with the Twins

Here is a list of which teams are up after this year

Beloit Snappers - Minnesota (signed through 2012)
    Bowling Green Hot Rods - Tampa Bay (signed through 2012)
    Burlington Bees - Oakland (signed through 2012)
    Cedar Rapids Kernels - Anaheim (signed through 2012)
    Clinton Lumber Kings - Seattle (signed through 2012)
    Dayton Dragons - Cincinnati (signed through 2012)
    Fort Wayne TinCaps - San Diego (signed through 2012)
    Kane County Cougars - Kansas City (signed through 2012)
    Peoria Chiefs - Chicago (NL) (signed through 2012)
    Quad Cities River Bandits - St. Louis (signed through 2012)Asheville Tourists - Colorado (signed through 2012)
    Augusta GreenJackets - San Francisco (signed through 2012)
    Greensboro Grasshoppers - Miami (signed through 2012)
    Hagerstown Suns - Washington (signed through 2012)
    Hickory Crawdads - Texas (signed through 2012)
    Lakewood Blue Claws - Philadelphia (signed through 2012)
    Lexington Legends - Houston (signed through 2012)
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nowheresville View Post
    With the Timber Rattlers just down the road in Appleton, Green Bay is an unlikely market for the MWL league. Realistically, the MWL is pretty stable right now so its pretty unlikely that any teams would be moving any time soon. Even the smallest markets of Beloit and Burlington are both run as community owned non-profits, so they're at least stable. Plus, I don't really see any Northwoods league cities making an effort to improve to MiLB. If any cities that currently have baseball made an effort to switch, I'd see it much more likely coming from somewhere in the (Independent) Frontier League, which are mostly IL/IN/MI cities that are closer to the MWL's current footprint.

Fort Wayne is one of the handful of MWL parks I haven't been to, and I didn't notice just how well they draw (2nd best in the league). If Peoria is struggling with the Cubs, I can't image how bad things would be there without them, considering that nearly every time a Cubs player goes on Rehab, it includes a stop in Peoria. Its also a nice park, and their staff members are among the best in the MWL, imho.
    If Beloit is moved in 2021, Madison is the likely destination, albeit they have a college wood bat team, so lots would have to be worked out by then.

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Thanks for all of the clarifications starting with the article that JeremyNygaard cited plus the follow-ups from Thrylos and JC.

If the Twins end up with a team in the PCL, another possible city mentioned was Oklahoma City. I know nothing about the ballpark or ownership but the article indicates that it is one of the best in the PCL. It also says that the ownership group likes to make a "splash" so that may leave out the Twins but the distance (788 miles straight down I-35) plus the possibility of combining it in a road trip with a stop in Kansas City or even on to Arlington, makes it interesting.
    Bricktown ballpark is a great little field in the heart of OKC's Bricktown, a pretty decent warehouse district turned entertainment district. Similar setting to Target Field actually. I wouldn't be unhappy to see the Twins AAA club end up there.
    Last edited by Monkeypaws; 08-12-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Interesting that you think the Cubs will go to Kane County. I know it's a fit geographically, but I was told last night (KC is playing in CR this weekend) that Kane County is really happy with their Royals affiliation and they're viewed as very likely to renew. Also surprised that the Padres would have put a bunch of money in to Ft Wayne's new (2009) stadium, since the MLB rules prohibit MLB and MiLB teams going beyond the terms of the PDC in terms of financial support. There's always a way around the rules, though, I suppose. Seems odd that they haven't renewed yet, though, if they're that closely tied.

Rantz said he envisioned 8-9 MWL teams changing affiliations this fall. With 11 MWL PDCs still not renewed (I think South Bend's PDC with AZ should be added to your list), he may be right. It should be an interesting September when everyone starts looking around for a partner.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    If Beloit is moved in 2021, Madison is the likely destination, albeit they have a college wood bat team, so lots would have to be worked out by then.
    Unless the northwoods league somehow collapses, I see zero chance that Madison rejoins the MWL. While they've been far and away the most successful team in the Northwoods league, no one goes there to watch baseball, and there is no incentive for them to stop doing what is working so well. Especially when Madison has had such poor history with professional baseball. Even the Snapper players I've talked to who played in the Northwoods league prior to going pro hated playing there, despite getting to play in front of large crowds, because its simply a circus where people go to drink and watch the sideshows on warm summer days. If you polled the crowd at a Mallards game, 80-90% would think they are watching actual minor league baseball already.

I also don't see baseball leaving Beloit unless the league declares that Pohlman Field isn't acceptable anymore, and even that might be enough for the long talked about new ballpark to actually get moving. Its easy to forget, that the Snappers are still a team that breaks even, or turns a profit every year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting that you think the Cubs will go to Kane County. I know it's a fit geographically, but I was told last night (KC is playing in CR this weekend) that Kane County is really happy with their Royals affiliation and they're viewed as very likely to renew. Also surprised that the Padres would have put a bunch of money in to Ft Wayne's new (2009) stadium, since the MLB rules prohibit MLB and MiLB teams going beyond the terms of the PDC in terms of financial support. There's always a way around the rules, though, I suppose. Seems odd that they haven't renewed yet, though, if they're that closely tied.

Rantz said he envisioned 8-9 MWL teams changing affiliations this fall. With 11 MWL PDCs still not renewed (I think South Bend's PDC with AZ should be added to your list), he may be right. It should be an interesting September when everyone starts looking around for a partner.
    http://www.etruth.com/article/201203...69908/-1/sport

I can see Kane County renewing with the Royals, it will be interesting to see which Sally teams end up moving to the MWL

Blog Entries

I can see Kane County renewing with the Royals, it will be interesting to see which Sally teams end up moving to the MWL
    Thanks for the link. South Bend is still listed among the "expiring in 2012" MWL teams on the lists I've been checking in on so I wonder if they just haven't made the extension formal yet. Certainly appears South Bend intends to stay with the DBacks. You'd think the WhiteSox would be a candidate to move back to the MWL, but I've never heard anything about any interest on their part in doing so and I don't think their PDC expires for a couple more years anyway.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the link. South Bend is still listed among the "expiring in 2012" MWL teams on the lists I've been checking in on so I wonder if they just haven't made the extension formal yet. Certainly appears South Bend intends to stay with the DBacks. You'd think the WhiteSox would be a candidate to move back to the MWL, but I've never heard anything about any interest on their part in doing so and I don't think their PDC expires for a couple more years anyway.
    Of Course people speculate that the White Sox want to come to Beloit or Kane County just because it is close for the CHI fans, the system is shot, and they expire in 2014. Depending on how many teams re up for another 2 more years, I think that the Sox could be a legitimate team to enter the MWL in 2014

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just moved from Fort Wayne about 8 months ago. They have a brand new stadium down town that was rated one of the best minor league parks in the nation. The city has no professional base either, so like Rochester, there are a lot of fans of the Pot Heads... I mean the Tin Capps...

I wouldn't mind the Twins returning to Fort Wayne for an affiliation, though I wish they had done it when I lived there. I moved there for college in 96, a year or two after they went to Beloit.

Nashville Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    The two cities from the article that caught my eye were Nashville and Memphis. Both would be a nice drive in the spring when nice summer baseball weather is a sure thing down there and we could still be shoveling snow. When I checked the distances though, it really isn't that much closer than Rochester. Nashville is 882 and Memphis is 830 miles. Althogh closer than Rochesters 1010 miles, it really isn't that much closer. Would many of us would really make the trip to either of these ciites, if we already view Rochester too far away? If you are going to fly, it really doesn't matter. If you are going to make a road trip of it and are looking for some warm weather in the spring or fall, then it may be enough of a change.
    Nashville would certainly be worth every dime spent on a weekend trip! There is so much to do in and around Nashville from the Symphony, the Ryman Auditorium, Gaylord Opryland, River Cruises, and on and on...Not to mention the nightlife in downtown Nashville and the scintillating possibility of catching a glimpse of a Country Music Star like Carie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, etc...There's been (failed) talk for a few years about building a new stadium. I didn't follow all of the details, but I think with the appropriate support from the Major League franchise, a deal could get done and is really what this town needs! They already have the Titans and the Predators for professional-level representation. They also have an arena football team, plus its an SEC town with the Vanderbilt Commodores (perenial Top 25 in Men's Basketball, plus all the SEC football teams rolling in during the fall). They're currently affiliated with the Brewers and draw a decent crowd (don't know actual #s). Personally, like everyother homer on this thread, I would love to see a Twins affiliate (AAA) in Nashville! I would certainly be the first in line to be a Season Ticket holder!!!

Of Course people speculate that the White Sox want to come to Beloit or Kane County just because it is close for the CHI fans, the system is shot, and they expire in 2014. Depending on how many teams re up for another 2 more years, I think that the Sox could be a legitimate team to enter the MWL in 2014
    It seems like the Sox are pretty happy having all of their minor league teams located relatively close to each other, clustered in the Southeast, but if they ever decided to move back to the MWL, I'd expect South Bend to make a huge push for them. Its got geography of course, but more importantly, the Silver Hawks owner is already part owner of the White Sox. Despite being a DBacks affiliate right now, it looks like the the White Sox threw up all over, what is otherwise a pretty nice park. They've even got a Sox flag flying in the outfield as it is.

Realistically, if/when the Twins leave, Beloit probably isn't going to get another team from the midwest. Its more likely going to be someone from the coasts, like a Seattle, Oakland, or Anaheim. Perhaps the Angels would give Beloit a shot if they're kicked out of CR, since their farm director Scott Servais is originally from Wisconsin.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would love to see AAA in Iowa... AA in Jacksonville... High A Ft.Myers... Low A... Cedar Rapids

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I heard a little of the interview with Terry Ryan on the 1500 pregame show. When asked about Rochester, he said the relationship is good and he hopes they will stay partners. When asked about Beloit, he was a lot less confident. He said a lot of details such as facilities and what not have to be worked out.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    I heard a little of the interview with Terry Ryan on the 1500 pregame show. When asked about Rochester, he said the relationship is good and he hopes they will stay partners. When asked about Beloit, he was a lot less confident. He said a lot of details such as facilities and what not have to be worked out.
    I bumped into Doogie at Target Field right after he got that interview. He gave the same sentiment. That audio is apparently on the web site so I'm looking forward to listening to it. I asked Doogie if it sounded like the Twins are hesitating with Beloit while Rochester is hesitating with the Twins. He wasn't sure.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Imo it sounds like you could do a lot better than Beloit but not much worse.

Compared to Rochester where you could do much, much worse. Player development in Las Vegas and several other western PCL cities is awful. It would be cool if you could get a team in the eastern PCL somewhere in the great plains (a franchise move would be required) but the international league is the best for player development.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast