Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Is the Affiliation Dance about to begin?

An article in the Beloit newspaper about that city's situation. Members of the organization mention some concern about whether Beloit will still be a minor league affiliate when the Player Development Agrement expires in 2020.

“One thing where this could be beneficial is that maybe now some people will see that what the Snappers have been trying to do for the last eight years or so is something that we need to pay a little more attention to,” [Snappers Chairman Dennis Conerton] said. “But when you see an affiliate leave for facilities that are better, you do start to wonder when the Player Development Agreement is up in 2020 will the standards change at all, and if we were to continue with Minor League Baseball in the Beloit community.”

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/sport...a4bcf887a.html

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post
    An article in the Beloit newspaper about that city's situation. Members of the organization mention some concern about whether Beloit will still be a minor league affiliate when the Player Development Agrement expires in 2020.

“One thing where this could be beneficial is that maybe now some people will see that what the Snappers have been trying to do for the last eight years or so is something that we need to pay a little more attention to,” [Snappers Chairman Dennis Conerton] said. “But when you see an affiliate leave for facilities that are better, you do start to wonder when the Player Development Agreement is up in 2020 will the standards change at all, and if we were to continue with Minor League Baseball in the Beloit community.”

Beloit gets the Midwest League All Star game in 2020, and likely will have to sell the rights to the game because of the lack of stadium. 2020 is also the last year that Beloit will be around unless a new stadium is put up, or enough money has been collected to begin work on a stadium. 2020 is the first year that Beloit will be elligible to lose the team. If they lose the team, It will be all because they did not put the stadium on the river. When they had the plan to put it on the river, the head guy said no because the bugs would be terrible, and he wanted it right off the interstate. The big donors then removed all their money from the stadium that they had committed. If Beloit loses their team, I will not feel bad for the city, because they had a chance to put a stadium up, and ultimately did not. Also, just a personal note,this is likely one of my last years shooting in Beloit.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post

It will be interesting to see what happens when the time comes to extend the Professional Baseball Agreement between MLB and MiLB. It was last renewed during the 2010-11 offseason and that was actually a few years before it was set to expire, so I guess it's possible that could happen again before 2020. The last time, the only real change in the agreement was a bump in the amount of money minor league teams have to pay to MLB out of their ticket revenues, but historically previous renewals of the agreements had been a bit more problematic in areas such as facilities standards.

I hope we never get to the point where communities the size of Beloit and Burlington can't keep affiliated minor league baseball due to facilities issues, but at some point somebody is going to have to step up and make some pretty significant improvements.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I believe jtrinaldi projected, the Astros and Quad Cities have been reunited.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    As I believe jtrinaldi projected, the Astros and Quad Cities have been reunited.
    Yup,a deal is expected between Burlington and LAA later tonight.
    Really excited for Oakland to be in Beloit.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112