Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minnesota Twins extend deal with Double-A affiliate New Britain

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    Where do they end up if they leave Rochester?
    What I heard (about a couple months ago or so) is that they were targeting teams in the IL South area.

Take that with a grain of salt, because I heard that AA and A will be at the Southern and South Atlantic Leagues (so everything is close to Fort Myers, which will serve more like a MiLB/player development hub), and they stayed with NB.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 298 Times in 167 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    Where do they end up if they leave Rochester?
    Ideally in Las Vegas -- easy to get to and lots of other outstanding attractions, including living art galleries.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From what I've found, the AAA teams without expiring Player Development Contracts (current ML team in parenthesis) are Buffalo (NYM), Pawtucket (BOS), and Rochester (MIN) in the IL and Albuquerque (LAD), Fresno (SFG), Iowa (CHC), Las Vegas (TOR), Memphis (STL), Nashville (MIL), New Orleans (MIA), Oklahoma (HOU) in the PCL.

From what I can gather Toronto wants Buffalo, and that would make sense for both sides. Pawtucket and Boston aren't separating. I would guess the Mets will get Rochester if they want it and Buffalo signs up with Toronto. That leaves the Twins moving to the PCL. I doubt Albuquerque, Fresno, Iowa, and Memphis will change affiliations. That would leave Nashville, Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Oklahoma to play musical chairs with the Twins, Brewers, Marlins, and Astros. From what I've gathered Las Vegas is everybody's last choice, so that may be where the Twins end up unless one of the other three find something that the Twins offer more appealing.

The Twins have a better fanbase than the Marlins. Not sure if it's enough for New Orleans to pick up the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    It would be fun to have the team in Las Vegas.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins extend PDC with New Britain through 2014

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4450419
    New Britain, CT- The Double-A New Britain Rock Cats
    Baseball
    Club (Eastern League) and the Minnesota Twins have extended their Player Development Contract (PDC) for another two years. This long lasting relationship will keep the Rock Cats and Twins together through 2014, their 20th season. The Rock Cats have been developing players for the
    MinnesotaTwins
    since 1995, the fifth longest continuous working relationship with a major league affiliate in the Eastern League."The Twins are an outstanding partner and a true pleasure to work with. They consistently provide talented players, and individuals of great character who believe in serving our community," Rock Cats President John Willi said.
    Since the affiliate began, the Rock Cats have produced two American League Most Valuable Players (Justin Morneau 2006 &
    JoeMauer
    2009), a three-time A.L. batting champion (Mauer), a single season A.L. home run and RBI leader (David Ortiz), two ALCS MVP's (Ortiz) and RHP
    MattGarza
    along with twelve Major League All-Stars over an eighteen year period. In addition, 148 players have gone from the Rock Cats to the Major Leagues, including two from the 2012 club.
    "The Twins are pleased to extend our agreement with the Rock Cats through 2014. We enjoyed our past relationships with owners Joe Buzas and Bill Dowling and very much look forward to working with the new ownership group led by Josh Solomon. It's greatly appreciated how supportive the fans have been over the past eighteen years throughout Connecticut and the surrounding communities," Twins' Senior Director of Minor League Operations, Jim Rantz said.
    "The Minnesota Twins are a first class organization and one our franchise is proud to be associated with. Rock Cats fans can continue to look forward to seeing the best of baseball's young talent," Rock Cats owner Josh Solomon said.
    Currently, 17 players on the Minnesota Twins 25 man active Major League Roster have played for the Rock Cats. The Twins were named Organization of the Year in 2002 and 2004 by Baseball America and Joe Mauer was named Minor League Player of the Year with the Rock Cats in 2003 (Baseball America). The Rock Cats were named Co-Champions in the Eastern League in 2001 and chosen Double-A Team of the Year by Baseball America.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only thing that is un realistic about bring a team to St.Paul is that the closest drive for them would be 4.5 hours to cedar rapids. Most drives in the MWL divisions are close to 3 hours. Also, It would take a while for the MILB to declare a city unsuitable for minor league baseball. Beloit is getting renovations after next year (even then it will still be the worst stadium in the MWL), and Burlington is a good stadium. It takes around 4 years to move a team to a new location and get rid of a previous one.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12