Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Twins extend deal with Double-A affiliate New Britain

Minnesota Twins extend deal with Double-A affiliate New Britain

Through 2014 per the Pioneer Press.

The article states that contracts with Rochester, Beloit and Fort Myers are also up at the end of this year. Jim Rantz said an affiliation renewal with Fort Myers "seems to be a lock." He also predicted "[e]ight or nine teams, at least" moving in the Midwest League.

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...uble-affiliate
    Last edited by East Coast Twin; 07-19-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I seem to recall something about the Twins-Fort Myers relationship being tied to a new spring training complex, like the one they just built for Boston. It sounded like they were making good progress on that in getting it approved.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Sounds like the rumors NB was jumping ship were just that.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    if we get a new stadium , i hope that like boston they build it with the same dimentions as target field... so the hot kid in spring training isnt just hitting warning track outs in minnesota

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    if we get a new stadium , i hope that like boston they build it with the same dimentions as target field... so the hot kid in spring training isnt just hitting warning track outs in minnesota
    I did some more websurfing to see if I could track that down again. Turns out it's not a new stadium, but they are going upgrade Hammond Field. Fort Myers has agreed to put in $30M, but the Twins are asking for upgrade totalling around $45M, including dorms for players so they don't have to put people up in area hotels. They'll probaby meet somewhere in the middle.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The biggest thing that the Twins want from teh county in Ft. Myers is some dormitories so that the players in minor league camp, in extended spring, with the Miracle, etc., can stay there instead of a hotel.

Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised the Twins re-upped with New Britain.

It would be nice if the Triple AAA affiliate was closer to the parent club here in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    It would be nice if the Triple AAA affiliate was closer to the parent club here in Minnesota.
    can never have Clete Thomas or Rene Rivera close enough

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    The dream would also be having the Low A squad in St. Paul, perhaps share a stadium with the Saints if the new one gets built.
    Papers...business papers.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    The dream would also be having the Low A squad in St. Paul, perhaps share a stadium with the Saints if the new one gets built.
    If anything, it makes sense for the AAA team to be close to the MLB team not a single A team. About half the MLB teams seem to have that arrangement.

Almost shocked to hear about renewing with New Britain. All indications were pointing to the Twins moving their A and AA teams (not Fort Myers, that is A+ ) to the Southern and South Atlantic Leagues. I will be shocked if they stay in Beloit and esp. Rochester.

Seth, as far as the dorm in Fort Myers' go:
    About a month or so ago a county commission voted for improvements to the Twins' training complex, which would go hand in hand with a 30-year lease. So I think that the dorms will be taken care of (and the Twins will be there for a while...) There is a lot of empty space south of the complex (I mean south of the county softball fields that are not part of the complex) so dorms can be had near. Also there is space across the street (not sure who are the owners, though...)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

The story mentions major league baseball not wanting a minor league team so close to a major league city.

What would the main reason for leaving Beloit and the Midwest league be? A closer proximity to Ft. Myers or is would it be money related.

It would appear the Twins have limited options for their Triple AAA club. Best scenario would probably be switching with the Pirates. The Twins get the Indianapolis Indians and Pirates the Rochester Red Wings. The team that's really screwed are the Blue Jays. All the way in Las Vegas, NV.

Blog Entries
    What's wrong with keeping Rochester? From what I've heard they have a good working relationship. The biggest tension the past couple of years has been the quality of players available to Rochester (because the farm system sucks), but this year they are above .500 and are actually within shouting distance of a playoff spot.

I don't see any real value from having a farm club in close proximity to the parent organization - plane fares from Rochester aren't going to be that much more than from Indianapolis.

The teams talked about wanting the Triple AAA club closer to the Twin Cities. I could care less where the minor league affiliates are located.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was at the Kernels game in Cedar Rapids last night. So was Angels GM Jerry Dipoto. Seems he heard through the grapevine that the Kernels were considering declaring themselves open to a new affiliation. Dipoto's organization has done very little relationship building with the people who run CR since he took the Angels job, so his visit may be too little too late. More than one source has told me the Twins have reached out through back channels to indicate they're interested in a discussion if CR does go in to the pool.

Not that distance is a primary concern for your Class A team, but CR is the closest existing MWL location to the Twin Cities. It would be a good fit for both organizations.

I'm hearing 12 of the 16 MWL teams have expiring agreements this offseason, so Rantz's estimate of 8-9 MWL affiliation changes sounds about right.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    What's wrong with keeping Rochester? From what I've heard they have a good working relationship. The biggest tension the past couple of years has been the quality of players available to Rochester (because the farm system sucks), but this year they are above .500 and are actually within shouting distance of a playoff spot.
    Rochester executives, press and fans have been openly hostile towards the Twins. That team is one of the few MiLB teams whose fans are not fans of the MLB team. Even in New Britain, which is pretty much the same fanbase + Red Sox, fans like the Twins. There is a Twins' fanbase in those parts of CT. Not in Rochester. Plus what they did with the Yankees this season (like selling Yankees' MLB merch through the Rochester Red Wings' website - I do understand doing it in the park- and cancelling Red Wings' games to accommodate the Yankees) is pretty inexcusable any way you put it. Plus the park has seen better days and so has the City (that got really affected by what happened to Kodak). In my book the Twins cannot leave there fast enough...

Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I don't see any real value from having a farm club in close proximity to the parent organization - plane fares from Rochester aren't going to be that much more than from Indianapolis.
    I mean close proximity. Car ride away, like my local Phillies and the Braves do and several other clubs. 2 hrs from call to AAA to the ballpark is a major deal and the difference in playing with a 24 or 25 man roster for an extra game.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Not that distance is a primary concern for your Class A team, but CR is the closest existing MWL location to the Twin Cities. It would be a good fit for both organizations.
    It would be nice. Thanks for the info.

Liked 139 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I mean close proximity. Car ride away, like my local Phillies and the Braves do and several other clubs. 2 hrs from call to AAA to the ballpark is a major deal and the difference in playing with a 24 or 25 man roster for an extra game.
    I like the idea too, but the roster thing is fairly minor - the odds of both the MLB team and the AAA team being home at the same time are about 1 in 4. Most roster moves give guys enough time to get on a plane and make the next game, and the Twins usually wait around for a week before making a move anyway.

My preference would have been for them to dump (or be dumped by) Rochester last year and grab OKC for AAA, but I prefer a 2 hour drive for me rather than for the players being recalled.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I expect that no matter what the team, the twins will try to stay in the IL, staying away from the PCL bandboxes.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    That would be very helpful for most clubs. Still, if the Twins wait several days (weeks) before putting someone on the DL it doesn't make much difference.

Rochester executives, press and fans have been openly hostile towards the Twins. That team is one of the few MiLB teams whose fans are not fans of the MLB team. Even in New Britain, which is pretty much the same fanbase + Red Sox, fans like the Twins. There is a Twins' fanbase in those parts of CT. Not in Rochester. Plus what they did with the Yankees this season (like selling Yankees' MLB merch through the Rochester Red Wings' website - I do understand doing it in the park- and cancelling Red Wings' games to accommodate the Yankees) is pretty inexcusable any way you put it. Plus the park has seen better days and so has the City (that got really affected by what happened to Kodak). In my book the Twins cannot leave there fast enough...

Where do they end up if they leave Rochester?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast