Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competitive Balance Lottery

Competitive Balance Lottery

Are we really a bigger market and bigger revenue team than all of them awarded? http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...rade+Rumors%29

I'm at work = don't want to do any fangraphing

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    I wonder how they compute revenue?
    I'd have to guess our revenue is way up with the new stadium.
    Wikipedia says we are the 16th largest metro area in the country by population (2010 census)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Detroit is still ahead of us population wise...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect some of those formulae are complex

The Bay area for example is a huge market with a pretty high income level but the A's have been sucky as far as revenue goes. So is Detroit, but that area is financially depressed. Diamondbacks in that list are somewhat of a puzzle to me. And of course what'shisface would have to find a way to include the cheeseheads (his beloved former team)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 745 Times in 461 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeee View Post
    Detroit is still ahead of us population wise...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas
    yeah but everyone there is unemployed or broke... I wouldn't be shocked in the least if people are going to the game and not buying concessions and that type of thing..

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,511 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    And of course what'shisface would have to find a way to include the cheeseheads (his beloved former team)
    He didn't have to try very hard. Milwaukee is the smallest metro area in baseball. It's also squeezed on three sides, limiting its expanded territory: Lake Michigan on the east, Chicago on the south, Minnesota to the west.

And almost nobody lives north of Green Bay. I'd say Milwaukee not only has every right to be on that list, I'd argue they deserve the top slot.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    He didn't have to try very hard. Milwaukee is the smallest metro area in baseball. It's also squeezed on three sides, limiting its expanded territory: Lake Michigan on the east, Chicago on the south, Minnesota to the west.

And almost nobody lives north of Green Bay. I'd say Milwaukee not only has every right to be on that list, I'd argue they deserve the top slot.
    So call them the Wisconsin Brewers, they don't have any competition in the state.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    So call them the Wisconsin Brewers, they don't have any competition in the state.
    They don't? Racine/Kenosha is basically as much Cubs territory as it is Brewers. The western part of the state belongs to the Twins. The Brewers basically have Madison, Milwaukee, and Green Bay. The rest doesn't add up to enough to matter.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    They don't? Racine/Kenosha is basically as much Cubs territory as it is Brewers. The western part of the state belongs to the Twins. The Brewers basically have Madison, Milwaukee, and Green Bay. The rest doesn't add up to enough to matter.
    I'd argue with that. The Western part of WI is half and half. They are Brewers fans first, and Twins fans second.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I'd argue with that. The Western part of WI is half and half. They are Brewers fans first, and Twins fans second.
    Possibly, but the only two cities of note in western WI are La Crosse and Eau Claire, which are both considered Twins broadcast zones, I believe.

Anyway, the point still stands. Milwaukee is not only the smallest MLB metro, it's also squeezed on three sides by either geography or another team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I suspect some of those formulae are complex

The Bay area for example is a huge market with a pretty high income level but the A's have been sucky as far as revenue goes. So is Detroit, but that area is financially depressed. Diamondbacks in that list are somewhat of a puzzle to me. And of course what'shisface would have to find a way to include the cheeseheads (his beloved former team)
    The A's share the Bay area with the Giants and the A's get the Oakland part. There is no way that they aren't in the lottery. The tigers are the puzzling one as well as the Diamondbacks.

At the same time it's hard to argue that the Minneapolis/StPaul should be one of the small market areas. The Twins were low revenue for a long time because of an awful stadium deal but the TC area is a strong market.

Liked 1,189 Times in 694 Posts
    Would be interesting to see how they define "market". For example, for TV market, Iowa is included in: Twins, Brewers, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals and Royals.

So do the markets overlap?

I suspect Oakland qualifies on revenue (one of 10 lowest) and, if revenue includes TV contracts, those figures can always shift dramatically as new deals are made.

It doesn't surprise me that Minnesota would not be in the 10 lowest in either revenue or market size.

Liked 1,189 Times in 694 Posts
    Oh, and as I read it, the teams that qualify are in the 10 lowest in EITHER revenue or market size.

So you could have a big market team with lower revenues that qualifies.

Here's a link to an MLB.com article that explains it pretty well.

Looks like Detroit got into the 2nd round because their revenues were low enough to qualify for revenue sharing:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 07-18-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're rehashing a lot of the discussion we had on this thread.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Milwaukee (and a lot of the state of Wisconsin) are also very large supporters of the Braves, based on the previous status of the team there and their success while in Milwaukee. Typically Braves/Brewers is a very, very good draw in Milwaukee, moreso than some of their more regional competitors (Twins, Cubs, etc.).
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Milwaukee (and a lot of the state of Wisconsin) are also very large supporters of the Braves, based on the previous status of the team there and their success while in Milwaukee. Typically Braves/Brewers is a very, very good draw in Milwaukee, moreso than some of their more regional competitors (Twins, Cubs, etc.).
    They finally found a way to capture Milwaukee's lucrative 65-and older baseball market.
    Last edited by FrodaddyG; 07-19-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    They finally found a way to capture Milwaukee's lucrative 65-and older baseball market.
    It is pretty hard to pry them away from never-ending Happy Days marathons.

But don't try to sell them that Joanie Loves Chachi crap.

That or any children, grandchildren, family of that market. Pretty much spot on.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    That or any children, grandchildren, family of that market. Pretty much spot on.
    Yes, I'm sure grandpa has talked tons of Milwaukee folk into rooting for a team ~1000 miles away that left half a century ago, instead of the one in town.

"But Ricky, these guys played here 50 years ago! Oh those were the days, I tell ya!"

Yes, I'm sure grandpa has talked tons of Milwaukee folk into rooting for a team ~1000 miles away that left half a century ago, instead of the one in town.

"But Ricky, these guys played here 50 years ago! Oh those were the days, I tell ya!"
    I'm a Braves fan because of a great-grandmother who loved Hank Aaron rather than a Twins/Royals fan as geography would say I should be. Believe it or not, regardless of geography, some families all share fandom. I know it may shock you, but it happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast