Thread: Article: Tuesday's Trip through the Minors

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Tuesday's Trip through the Minors

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have any question or comments on the Twins minor league system, leave them in the comments section and I will try to answer them.
    There is no try:
    Why did anyone thing Madison Boer would be a good pitcher? He struggled in 8 innings in Beliot and now is failing in the pitcher friendly Florida St League.
    Why is Levi Michael struggling so much in the same league? He had an OK June but is back to stinkerville.
    What scout recommended these two and why isn't that guy working at Burger King now?
    Why did Goodrum repeat at E-town?
    Why has there been no major round of promotions after the All-Star Break? - Wheeler, Santana, to name a few
    Why are the following pitchers' first year of professional baseball being wasted at levels that are much too easy for them:
    Mason Melotakis
    J.T. Chargois
    DJ Baxendal
    Why did the Twins leave a million dollars on the table in this years draft?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boer - I think most people think he'll be a terrific reliever, and wisely, the Twins are giving him the opportunity as a starter, and he has shown glimpses. I think he was promoted from Beloit to Ft. Myers solely based on need early in the year. He has not done well there. That doesn't make him a bad prospect.

Levi Michael - I have never been high on since I started reading reports on him. For some reason Baseball America, Keith Law and other experts ranked him between 20-25 in terms of top players for last year's draft. The Twins got him at 30, so most would htink that's good value based on the experts. Like I said, I didn't like it. And, in retrospect, after being hurt and missing so much time last year, the right thing may have been to send him to Beloit to start this season. But, he is young for the college kids drafted in his class, so I guess there should be hope. Certainly shouldn't give up on him yet.

Goodrum, like Max Kepler, is incredibly talented, but incredibly raw. Of the two, I certainly thought that Goodrum could have moved up. I thought he'd move up before the ET season started. I can't answer that question other than to say, with Sano, Grimes and Rosario as starters in Beloit, Goodrum wouldn't have played a lot. Plus, it's not like he's destroying the Appy League yet this year.

We have a thread in the forums on 2nd half promotions and there have been a ton of them. Maybe not the big, exciting names, but there have been a lot. Matt Summers was just promoted from Beloit to Ft. Myers. Not thta Wheeler hasn't been good (although he struggled for about 6 straight starts around the all star break, but Summers has been arguably the best pitcher in teh farm system not named Hendriks. Santana posted a sub-.300 OBP the last year and a half in Beloit. He still refuses to walk. He's got a nice BA, and I really like him as a prospect, but he is where he should be.

Melotakis just moved up to Beloit, along with Zach Jones. Chargois was on the DL to start the season. Baxendale was in the CWS. The Twins (And many teams) choose to be cautious with college pitchers after they sign, and I agree with that. Let them adjust to the bus rides and being a professional and all of that while protecting arms that typically get abused during the college season. ITs' the right thing to do. Also, there is still another 7 weeks of the season, so they may moved them. If not, doesn't hurt their long-term growth in the least.

Because they could? Some guys were willing to sign below slot, and that's smart of the Twins to let them do that. They tried to sign Mazzilli and likely offered him a little more than slot to get him to sign. They drafted several players with big upsides later in the draft, and we know they tried to sign them with some of the excess, but they stayed true to their plans to go to college. Also, more important than the money, they signed their top 10 picks and signed the ones they needed to.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Regarding the money left on the table... I am pretty sure that the number is not as high as $1 million. In addition, I read that because no one knew how this new system would play out, the rules stated that money not spent this year could be carried over to next year (this only applies to this year, however).

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I disagree strongly with Seth that college pitchers should be in rookie league ball facing 18 year old high school kids. As does Keith law, and others. I also disagree strongly with the twins philosophy of having guys stink as starters in the minors, instead of having them learn to be great relievers and moving up quickly. That would allow them to have mote young and cheap guys in the pen, leaving mote money for more valuable roles.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Levi Michael - I have never been high on since I started reading reports on him. For some reason Baseball America, Keith Law and other experts ranked him between 20-25 in terms of top players for last year's draft. The Twins got him at 30, so most would htink that's good value based on the experts. Like I said, I didn't like it. And, in retrospect, after being hurt and missing so much time last year, the right thing may have been to send him to Beloit to start this season. But, he is young for the college kids drafted in his class, so I guess there should be hope. Certainly shouldn't give up on him yet.
    Interesting. I was moderately high on the Michael pick. Not crazy about it like the Gibson pick, but I thought it was a good move because it seemed as if he could be a major leaguer in relatively short order. Unfortunately, injuries derailed that (along with Gibson) but I'm still okay with the pick.

Thankfully, he's starting to hit a little. I think there's still hope for the kid because, as you mentioned, he's still relatively young.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Didn't Levi not participate in Instructional ball cause he was still hurt or something with finishing his degree. Not to make excuses but it's not that easy to jump from college, have all winter off then jump into high-A ball. He's started to hit some, NTM the FSL is a tough hitters league so I'll hold out a bit.

I liked the pick for value and need within the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Didn't Levi not participate in Instructional ball cause he was still hurt or something with finishing his degree.
    That's what I thought too, that he was still dealing with some of the (ankle?) injury stuff for awhile after signing and he went from zero pro experience to the FSL really quickly.

Baseball is hard. He's drawing walks, still playing shortstop, and has shown a less-disastrous bat the past two months. Seems like an admirable response to an ambitious assignment.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Levi Michael always struck me as the Alex Wimmers of hitting picks, lower ceiling, but "closer to the majors", relatively high floor. Unfortunately, he's not as close to the majors as we thought.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Didn't Levi not participate in Instructional ball cause he was still hurt or something with finishing his degree.
    I don't remember the details but it was something like that.

It's hard enough to transition to hitting with a wood bat. Add in rust and starting in Ft. Myers and that's a pretty long hill to climb. I'm pretty positive about his play over the past two months.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correct, he had like 3-4 different injuries that he affected him. So, he did not participate in Instructional League. That's another reaosn he probably should have started in Beloit.