Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Votto's and Bautista's injuries' effect on Twins trade market

Votto's and Bautista's injuries' effect on Twins trade market

Just curious what people think. Do the recent injuries to Votto (torn cartilage in knee - out 4 weeks) and Bautista (unknown wrist injury, but he appeared to be in significant pain) have any effect on the Twins trade market?

Does it make the Reds more desperate for another power bat like Willingham? Are they maybe now even interested in Morneau?

Same for the Jays, with Bautista possibly out for a while does that make them more willing/desperate to make a move?
    Last edited by chaderic20; 07-17-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Typo

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the fact that Greinke has been awful and that Hamels might be re-signed by Philadelphia has more of an impact.

Liriano might go from second tier to best pitcher available in a week.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Agreed with RPG, with Greinke being held out for precautionary sake, that is a big deal. 15 strikeouts don't hurt either.

I think Toronto should not be buyers this year, not if Bautista is out long. I think the Reds should be buyers (and Pitts). Pittsburgh might be even more likely to deal now, as they might feel they can take advantage of the next three weeks. Too bad they couldn't sign Appel, making Tallion possibly available.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 216 Times in 137 Posts
    Obviously, all of these things help the Twins. I think Votto's injury is the biggest event for us, since Reds are in 'win-now' mode. Span, to me, seems like a better fit for the Reds, they have crappy play from CF and no good lead off hitter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Injuries have very little effect at all, they have others to pick up the slack for a month.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    If Willingham or Span were a rental player it would make sense, but neither team is going to over-react to a 4-6 week injury by trading assets for a guy who will they will be on the hook for 3 years.

(Though it is still possible they would want Willingham or Span, I just don't think the injurys will make the least bit of difference)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If Toronto was gonna panic and make an injury trade they would have done so for a pitcher as they're pitching nobodies right now (that are still somehow better then the Twins pitchers)

I could see Span wit hthe Reds, but even with his contact issues Stubbs still offers alot with the glove & baserunning.
    Last edited by DPJ; 07-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    If Willingham or Span were a rental player it would make sense, but neither team is going to over-react to a 4-6 week injury by trading assets for a guy who will they will be on the hook for 3 years.

(Though it is still possible they would want Willingham or Span, I just don't think the injurys will make the least bit of difference)

I think it has an impact, only a small one. If the Reds want Span, it's because they want a center fielder for the next 2-3 years, not because they're terrified after Votto's injury.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Little effect if any would be my guess.

I think the new 1 game playoff has a much greater impact if the Twins end up making some moves.