Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball America updated prospect ranking

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts

Baseball America updated prospect ranking

In the latest ask BA column, Callis suggests that Buxton would be #21 in baseball, one spot ahead of Sano. He put 7 recent draftees and one international signing in the new top 50.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I notice that four players drafted after Alex Wimmers in the first round of the 2010 draft are ranked higher than Buxton.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    And Appel would have been in the top 15 or so for all minor league pitchers.....so he's likely (if not hurt) to be in top of the class next year also (which is also what KLAW has been saying).

Everyone loves Buxton....let's hope they are right.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I notice that four players drafted after Alex Wimmers in the first round of the 2010 draft are ranked higher than Buxton.
    Yeah, that Wimmers pick hurt. I also regret not taking Trout over Gibson but I still have hope for Gibson. Wasn't a big fan of the Wimmers pick in the first place.

Senior Member MVP
    Ouch, didn't notice that on Wimmers....and later picks.....not a fan of low risk picks in round 1, go for upside.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wimmers will hopefully be the last time the Twins take another bullsh*t PTC low-ceiling pitcher again in the first round.

God I hated that ****ing pick.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Yeah, that Wimmers pick hurt. I also regret not taking Trout over Gibson but I still have hope for Gibson. Wasn't a big fan of the Wimmers pick in the first place.
    Imagine how upset Twins fans would have been if the team had taken Trout over Gibson that year....

And, Wimmers was an easy pick at that time as well, deemed by many experts the starting pitcher closest to the big leagues.

Injuries happen.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Wimmers will hopefully be the last time the Twins take another PTC low-ceiling pitcher again in the first round.
    Is a future #3, maybe #2, a low ceiling pitcher?

Senior Member MVP
    You think it is likely at all he is a two? That would make him one of the fifty best pitchers in the game. I see super low chance....like almost zero.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    Weird, it's like people in this thread are claiming that sometimes high draft picks in baseball don't work out! What a weird sport this is, we certainly know this isn't the case in the NFL, NBA or NHL.

Seriously, Whimmers was a solid pick at the time, to go back and play captain hindsight now is stupid. Unless you had a legit gripe at the time like DPJ, but he hates everything the Twins do.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    You think it is likely at all he is a two? That would make him one of the fifty best pitchers in the game. I see super low chance....like almost zero.
    At the time he was drafted he had the #2 upside, though #3 was prob the far more likely scenario, also when he first hit the scenes in Ft Myers he dominated with 23 strike outs in 15.2 innings.

Nobody could predict that he would get the yips and then get injured (I think these things were actually one in the same at the end of the day)

Pitchers get hurt, it happens.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Is a future #3, maybe #2, a low ceiling pitcher?
    Future 3, maybe 2...are you kidding me. Where have the standards gone for pitchers?

Wimmers always had a fingy arsenal of pitches, a has a plus change but that was it. He was a backend starter at best with a low-ceiling but a good probability of hitting it.

But this looks like one first round pick that isn't gonna work out.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Imagine how upset Twins fans would have been if the team had taken Trout over Gibson that year....
    Probably

And in the "Twins way" and the way Rantz develops players, Trout would have probably been in New Britain right now...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Unless you had a legit gripe at the time like DPJ, but he hates everything the Twins do.
    Well maybe if the made smarter moves we wouldn't have this garbage 90+ loss team to watch, hell everyone should hate everything the Twins do cause that's what has lead to this 100 million dollar mess.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Probably

And in the "Twins way" and the way Rantz develops players, Trout would have probably been in New Britain right now...

Sadly true.

Senior Member MVP
    My opinion of wimmers upside has nothing to dwith his injury. He does not have Scott baker or better stuff not from any scouting report I have read. Maybe I am wrong, but to project someone as a two us to put them at or better than baker when baker is at his best. There just are not that many very good pitchers on the planet right now.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    Sadly true.
    No way.

Guy that young needs two seasons of short season ball. This would be his "repeating Beloit to learn to hit the ball the other way and move runners over" season.

Senior Member All-Star

And, Wimmers was an easy pick at that time as well, deemed by many experts the starting pitcher closest to the big leagues.

Injuries happen.
    Good points, I liked the Gibson pick at the time and still do. I just wish we had Trout using 20/20 hindsight.

On Wimmers, I wasn't thrilled with the pick and wanted the Twins to do something else although I didn't know what the something else should be. I remember a lot of angst from fans for the Twins not taking HS pitching arm - Stetson Allie - but I didn't want him either. I understood the logic of the Wimmers pick but just didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Well maybe if the made smarter moves we wouldn't have this garbage 90+ loss team to watch, hell everyone should hate everything the Twins do cause that's what has lead to this 100 million dollar mess.
    To be fair you were hating on everything they were doing while they were winning 94 games..

IIRC Gibson was considered a top 5 or top 10 talent who only fell due to injury concerns, if anything it was very un twins to take a risk on a high upside guy like that in the first round.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast