Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Manager Mike Redmond

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,432
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Manager Mike Redmond

    Here is a nice story on the former Twins backup catcher who last year managed in the Midwest League and this year manages in the Florida State League. Dunedin is playing in Ft. Myers against the Miracle and News Press's David Dorsey caught up with him in this story.

    http://www.news-press.com/article/20...yssey=nav|head

    If ever Ron Gardenhire decides to resign, Mike Redmond would be high on my list to replace him.

  2. #2
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    If ever Ron Gardenhire ever gets fired, Mike Redmond would be high on my list to replace him.
    FIxed and fingers crossed!

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,247
    Like
    261
    Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    Gardy is never getting fired. I would bet that he will announce after the season is done that he will be "retiring" after the 2013 season though.

    I was just discussing this very topic on Saturday night. Redmond wasn't on my list potential replacements though. He should have been though.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Gardy is never getting fired. I would bet that he will announce after the season is done that he will be "retiring" after the 2013 season though.

    I was just discussing this very topic on Saturday night. Redmond wasn't on my list potential replacements though. He should have been though.
    I can't see Gardenhire going into 2013 as a lame duck manager he will either come back with the intention to be around a while or he will retire at the end of the year, I personally hope he sticks around as the manager for a few more years, I don't think they are going to do much better than Gardy and the chances they get someone a lot worse is more likely.

    Unrelated: I think Gardy would make a great color guy on TV.

  5. #5
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Unrelated: I think Gardy would make a great color guy on TV.
    Jetersy really got after it, CCsy really mixed his pitches and Canosy real battled at the plate.

    Top notch color guy.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,074
    Like
    10
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Jetersy really got after it, CCsy really mixed his pitches and Canosy real battled at the plate.

    Top notch color guy.
    When has Gardenhire ever shown up for a game involving the Yankees?

    Zing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,247
    Like
    261
    Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I can't see Gardenhire going into 2013 as a lame duck manager he will either come back with the intention to be around a while or he will retire at the end of the year, I personally hope he sticks around as the manager for a few more years, I don't think they are going to do much better than Gardy and the chances they get someone a lot worse is more likely.

    Unrelated: I think Gardy would make a great color guy on TV.
    You're right, he probably wouldn't. But I don't think the Twins will ever fire him. If 2013 is as bad as 2012, I would bet that after that season the Twins and Gardy would announce his retirement.

    I also agree that most managers that would replace him would probably be a lot worse as well.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,132
    Like
    1,217
    Liked 1,168 Times in 685 Posts
    I really wanted to see Red Dog with the Twins organization after his playing days were over. I'm glad he's doing well with the Blue Jays but I'd love to see him back with the Twins.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,247
    Like
    261
    Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    The Twins should make him the bench coach now. No real need for Ulger.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  10. #10
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,197
    Like
    359
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    we can hope that perhaps he's eyeing the eventual Red Sox opening.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,132
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Fact: The Twins offered Redmond a coaching job with the EST and GCL squads when he became a free agent. He thought that he still had something left and wanted to play and signed a contract with the Indians (and he sucked) for a year. Redmond was a character but he was done a couple years before the Twins continued to play him (same story with Butera, it seems, but Butera was born done...) I don't know that I would like anyone associated with "the Twins' way" to succeed Gardenhire, when he will be gone (and that time will not be soon enough.) This organization drastically needs fresh minds from top to bottom.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  12. #12
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,482
    Like
    3,481
    Liked 2,995 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    When has Gardenhire ever shown up for a game involving the Yankees?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post

    Zing.
    Quality stuff right there. Quality stuff.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The Twins should make him the bench coach now. No real need for Ulger.
    I have no idea what exactly a bench coach does, other than take over when the Manager gets thrown out, so I can't say for sure if Ulger is doing a good job or not. But I like the idea of Red-Dog in that spot, maybe to prep him as Gardy's successor.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,874
    Like
    74
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Fact: The Twins offered Redmond a coaching job with the EST and GCL squads when he became a free agent. He thought that he still had something left and wanted to play and signed a contract with the Indians (and he sucked) for a year. Redmond was a character but he was done a couple years before the Twins continued to play him (same story with Butera, it seems, but Butera was born done...)
    Sorry, I have a hard time faulting a guy for continuing to try to play in the major leagues and collecting a major league paycheck.
    Just because his last couple years were bad has zero bearing on how he will be as a manager. Managers don't hand out contracts anyways..

    Redmond was a perfectly acceptable back up catcher 4 of the 5 years he was on the Twins.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,247
    Like
    261
    Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    I have no idea what exactly a bench coach does, other than take over when the Manager gets thrown out, so I can't say for sure if Ulger is doing a good job or not. But I like the idea of Red-Dog in that spot, maybe to prep him as Gardy's successor.
    Well, Ulger isn't doing a worse job than he did as a 3rd base coach.

    from what I've seen, bench coaches are there for exactly the reason you described. But here's what the Wikipedia says (always the most reliable source):

    The position of bench coach is relatively new in baseball. On most teams, the bench coach is the closest thing a team has to a second-in-command. The bench coach serves as an in-game advisor to the manager, offering situational advice, and bouncing ideas back and forth in order to assist the manager in making game decisions.[3] Should the manager be ejected, suspended, or unable to attend a game for medical or family reasons, the bench coach assumes the position of acting manager or if the manager is fired or resigns, then it is usually the bench who gets promoted to interim manager. The bench coach's responsibilities also include helping to set up the day's practice and stretching routines before a game, as well as coordinating spring training routines and practices.[4]

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_(baseball)

    As for what that means for Redmond, I don't know. When I was debating this last weekend, he didn't make my list. But I think that he has spent enough time with other organizations that he wouldn't necessarily fall into the "Twin's Way" style of coaching. I'm not sure he'd be the top of my list of potential new managers, but he might occupy a spot on it.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,132
    Like
    1,217
    Liked 1,168 Times in 685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Fact: The Twins offered Redmond a coaching job with the EST and GCL squads when he became a free agent. He thought that he still had something left and wanted to play and signed a contract with the Indians (and he sucked) for a year. Redmond was a character but he was done a couple years before the Twins continued to play him (same story with Butera, it seems, but Butera was born done...) I don't know that I would like anyone associated with "the Twins' way" to succeed Gardenhire, when he will be gone (and that time will not be soon enough.) This organization drastically needs fresh minds from top to bottom.

    While I'm in agreement that the organization needs fresh minds, it's hard for me to see Redmond as indoctrinated in the Twins Way. He didn't come up through the Twins minor league system. He spent 7 years in the majors with the Marlins before 5 years with the Twins and then 1 last year with the Indians. And now has managed in the Blue Jays system.

    I still think that qualifies as the kind of new energy, ideas and enthusiasm that I'd like to see injected into the Twins organization. It's hard for me to see a former player having the same "Old Boys Club" Twins ties that I see in them constantly promoting from within.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    He on the top of my list.

  18. #18
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,197
    Like
    359
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    the real question is whether he does the job naked.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    301
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    If ever Ron Gardenhire decides to resign, Mike Redmond would be high on my list to replace him.
    Why? What are Redmond's qualifications that make him one of the 30 best managers in the world?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.