Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Destinations for Justin Morneau

Top Destinations for Justin Morneau

I looked at rumored or likely trade destinations for Justin Morneau.

However, Morneau can only play first base and designated hitter, so being league average just doesn't cut it. This means the Twins need to hope that someone will overvalue him based on his career track record and his supposed intangibles as a veteran leader.
    You can read the rest of Minnesota Twins: Top Destinations for Justin Morneau at Yahoo! Sports.

Will the Twins be offered enough to justify trading Morneau? Are there other teams more likely to make an offer for him?
    I have been an avid fans of the Twins since Kirby Puckett's breakout year of 1986 and have had numerous articles about the Twins published on Yahoo! Sports.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Being league average will get something. By definition, leage average means half of the teams in the league don't have something as good as Morneau. Given the issues at hand, I suspect Morneau won't generate much of a return, but they should get something.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    League average with a well above average salary. I expect the Twins will have him through the rest of the season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    League average with a well above average salary. I expect the Twins will have him through the rest of the season.
    I think that depends on who is interested and how much the Twins are willing to eat of his salary.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Yankees will go after him. A lot of guys in his position go into NY and hit homers to right field. He fits that ballpark well, whereas Target Field, not so much.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    I'm going to guess Baltimore is the team that goes after him. They can mix Roberts in with the defense. Plus, I'm just not that sure the Yanks are really contenders.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Im all for trading him but as of now I don't see many good fits. Unless he gets hot and/or someone gets injured on a play off contender I don't see him going any where. If we could get a controllable RPer and a lottery tick I would be ecstatic.

Would you consider trading Morneau for a competitive balance pick to be a fair trade, not enough of a return, or not enough Morneau?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Jon Heyman article on the Twins and the trade deadline.

Twins update: Perkins expects to stay, Morneau market looks soft - CBSSports.com

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyJesusBuxton View Post
    Would you consider trading Morneau for a competitive balance pick to be a fair trade, not enough of a return, or not enough Morneau?
    Round A I would definitely take it, Round B, probably not...

I think Morneau would make some sense in Colorado. It's one of the few places where he'd be an upgrade at first place and I could see Justin going there in the offseason to replace Helton. Has a friend on the team in Cuddyer and a house in Scottsdale, where the Rockies have spring training. Could serve as an audition.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecmo View Post
    I think Morneau would make some sense in Colorado. It's one of the few places where he'd be an upgrade at first place and I could see Justin going there in the offseason to replace Helton. Has a friend on the team in Cuddyer and a house in Scottsdale, where the Rockies have spring training. Could serve as an audition.
    I'm guessing Cuddy moves to 1B to take over there when Helton is done.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Morneau for Hughes straight up. Give him a chance to pitch in target field before signing him to a 3 year 35 mil deal this offseason

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Morneau for Hughes straight up. Give him a chance to pitch in target field before signing him to a 3 year 35 mil deal this offseason
    Hughes is a FA after this season. I wouldn't be opposed to the Twins signing Hughes then, but why would you trade Morneau for a rental?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    There are only a couple of pitchers on the market next year who have few enough age/health/performance questions to recieve deals longer than 2-3 years. Hughes along with Garza and perhaps Ervin Santana and Ricky Nolasco could rangle a 4+ year deal under the right circumstances. Lincicum is too risky performance-wise, Johnson health-wise and Halladay age-wise.

Considering that whoever trades for Garza will surely try to re-sign him during the exclusive window before free agency begins, Hughes may very likely be the pitcher who signs the longest term deal next year.

I'll be shocked if it's less than four years with five being possible. By default he is going to get overpaid, I don't see the Twins anywhere near him. His agent won't even have to do any work, he is going to be constantly talked about once free agency comes around because there won't be enough quality names to hype and discuss. NY loving ESPN and the big market media have put this guys name on the map even when undeserved and everyone knows (or at least correctly assumes) that his splits away from Yankee Stadium are quite better. Being the youngest free agent pitcher on the market is also going to make him attractive. Even if the Twins did somehow sign the season's "top free agent pitcher contract" what a bummer it would be if it was the year it belonged to Phil Hughes.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Hughes is a FA after this season. I wouldn't be opposed to the Twins signing Hughes then, but why would you trade Morneau for a rental?
    Why? You don't end up paying 6M of Morny's contract and you have a window to sign Hughes no one else has.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Why? You don't end up paying 6M of Morny's contract and you have a window to sign Hughes no one else has.
    You'd only save about $2.5 million on Morneau because you'd be taking on Hughes, who's making $7.15 million.

The negotiating window with Hughes doesn't interest me all that much. I don't think it will make a big difference if they really want to bring in Hughes.
    Last edited by Boom Boom; 07-22-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: accuracy

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    To see if Hughe pitches better in TF than Yankee stadium? Not sure.....I'd deal Morneau for anything, to get Parmalee/Colobello (sp?) at bats consistently. I see little advantage to him being on the roster at this point.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    You'd only save about $2.5 million on Morneau because you'd be taking on Hughes, who's making $7.15 million.

The negotiating window with Hughes doesn't interest me all that much. I don't think it will make a big difference if they really want to bring in Hughes.
    fair enough, though Ryan traded Castillo just to save 1M in 2007. I appreciate the facts check, though. I hadn't considered Hughes salary.

I like Hughes a little bit, as a FA acquisition I'd be fine with him. I'd just rather trade Morneau for a mediocre prospect than an established player that may walk at the end of the season anyway.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast