Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Review of Ballplayer: Pelotero

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BallplayerPelotero View Post
    I think Miguel will end up sticking at third. The kid has the ability to do whatever he wants baseball wise. He is that naturally talented. Keep in mind he is still 19 and don't worry so much about those 31 errors. It is his bat that will move him forward though!

Terry Ryan said yesterday his defense has to improve to move up to FM this year.

I say, who cares? Let him try it for the last month of the season.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Terry Ryan said yesterday his defense has to improve to move up to FM this year.

I say, who cares? Let him try it for the last month of the season.
    Seems reasonable to me, also its not exactly like he is completely below his level at Beloit currently.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    I'm going to see it tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Review of Ballplayer: Pelotero

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the recap Seth. I am looking forward to seeing this movie in the near future.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! I'd love to hear what others who have seen the movie thought about it too.

Glad to hear they're doing a follow up as well! I'm seeing this tomorrow night at St. Anthony Main.
    Kind of a shame it's only playing through this thursday...

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the support. Seth, I just saw your review. Really appreciate it! We also just got some good news I wanted to share with our Minnesota fans. The St. Anthony Main theater in Minneapolis has decided to hold the film for another week. Unfortunately we are competing with the Dark Knight (this is the movie Minneapolis needs) so we won't have as many showings but I hope you all continue to get a chance to go check it out. I will be popping back in throughout the week, so don't hesitate to pose questions or comments after you see it (no spoilers please!).

Thanks,

Jon Paley
    Director - Ballplayer: Pelotero

Thanks for the review Seth! Glad you liked it. We just got some good news that the St. Anthony Main theater has decided to extend us for another week. We won't have as many showings because we will be competing with The Dark Knight, but it will be another chance for fans like Gardy32 to go check it out until the 26th.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I merged the threads to avoid multiple posting and confusion.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reports are that the Commissioner's Office is not terribly thrilled with the way MLB is reflected in your movie. Personally, if Bud Selig doesn't like something, I assume I'm more likely to approve of it, myself, but I'm curious whether MLB could make your follow-up project more difficult to complete. I'm not sure what kind of pressure they could apply to minor league franchises or even Sano himself to discourage them from cooperating with you or giving you the access you'd need to complete the second project. Have you started to run in to that sort of problem yet?
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

As soon as I saw it advertised on AG.com I knew I needed to check this out. I'll probably be at St Anthony Main tomorrow night as well. Looking forward to it!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Reports are that the Commissioner's Office is not terribly thrilled with the way MLB is reflected in your movie. Personally, if Bud Selig doesn't like something, I assume I'm more likely to approve of it, myself, but I'm curious whether MLB could make your follow-up project more difficult to complete. I'm not sure what kind of pressure they could apply to minor league franchises or even Sano himself to discourage them from cooperating with you or giving you the access you'd need to complete the second project. Have you started to run in to that sort of problem yet?
    I agree!

I am excited to see it. Comcast (at least in Indiana) has in On Demand.

I was thinking it may be like Hoop Dreams (which may be the best documentary ever made).

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    I assumed Selig was to busy fixing exhibition games and meaningless home run derby rules instead of worrying about MLB's image issues, declining ratings, etc.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I assumed Selig was to busy fixing exhibition games and meaningless home run derby rules instead of worrying about MLB's image issues, declining ratings, etc.
    Don't forget about the WBC. I really hope they do away with those games, the players are super rusty and it's completely uninteresting.

Anything Bud Selig disapproves of is good for the game...

I am planning on watching the movie in DC this weekend...lucky I live in a metro area...

Bringing the lady to see it tonight. Originally I was planning on finding tickets to the Twins game, but I was there for Liriano's masterpiece on Friday, and I'm pretty sure he can't top that so it'll be a movie night instead.

I saw it today, good movie. The comparisons to Hoop Dreams are valid on several levels. What made Hoop Dreams somewhat more compelling was that it followed the main players for several years so you felt like you got to know them really well. Still I enjoyed it and it was fun to see more of Sano's personality.

I can see why some in MLB are upset, yikes both MLB and the guy from the Pirates come out looking really bad.

I saw the movie last night - I thought it was great.

I particularly liked the English class scene and I am picturing Sano living in Southern Wisconsin.

I have looked but cannot find any information about the soundtrack - I also really enjoyed the music. Any info on the track listing out there?

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I saw the movie at St. Anthony Main yesterday - I enjoyed it. An analogy is made to raising crops being the same idea in raising ballplayers - and that is reinforced strongly throughout the film. You are exposed to a bit of the negatives on both sides of this process (trainer and family // vs // MLB) and get a slice of these two players experience in that process.

Worth seeing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast