Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Claim Brent Lillibridge.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Claim Brent Lillibridge.

The heat has been unbearable at Target Field lately and no doubt GM Terry Ryan is feeling it in the front office as he fields phone calls from other teams. However, the kind of heat Ryan is feeling is not weather related, but has to do more with the upcoming trade deadline. There are many decisions that need to be made over the next two weeks about players like Liriano, Span, Carroll, Casilla, and Capps (no value). My hope is with Ryan in charge the Twins will take positive steps to rebuild this organization from the minors on up. Sometimes a team gets lucky with a player out of options who is sent down or released. There is no doubt relief pitcher Jared Burton has been one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal year.

It was announced today utility player Brent Lillibridge was designated for assignment by the Boston Red Sox to make room for outfielder Carl Crawford. Lillibridge was one of two players traded to Boston for third baseman Kevin Youkilis. I love how Lillibridge plays the game on both sides of the diamond. He has struggled with the bat over the past few seasons and is only hitting .165/.212/.177 in 59 games this season. Lillibridge is still only 28 and should at least be considered by the Twins brass. The Twins could use the infield depth and in the right situation Lillibridge might be very successful. The Twins have the worst record (37-52) in the American League so they have first shot at claiming Lillibridge.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 07-17-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    just another gardy skirt in the dirt no talent waste of a roster spot player....

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    just another gardy skirt in the dirt no talent waste of a roster spot player....
    Maybe so, but he had 13 home runs last year in 186 at bats, and had an OPS of .845. Last year was his best year ever, but he does seem to have some talent.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Lillibridge is completely worthless.

Definitely can never have too many infielders.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I assume he has options left? Otherwise, there just isn't room for him on the big league roster, in my opinion. I guess they could send down Mastroianni and Lillibridge can be that 4th OF and the 6th infielder. I'd say, unless they trade Casilla or Carroll in the next two days, I'd pass.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

According to numerous articles Brent Lillibridge is out of options and available. I believe he would be a nice pickup and enable the Twins to trade either Casilla or Carrolll.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 07-17-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Maybe so, but he had 13 home runs last year in 186 at bats, and had an OPS of .845. Last year was his best year ever, but he does seem to have some talent.
    Further examination of his career causes me to think that last year was an aberration. His numbers this year currently support that conclusion. Plus, at 28 it is unlikely that he will get any better. The Twins should stop signing reclamation projects because it does NOTHING to improve this team. They need to concentrate on adding proven major league talent this off-season.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't know what he adds, other than being 10 years younger than Carroll. Wouldn't take him over Casilla.

Maybe wait and see if Boston sends him to Pawtucket or releases him - then we could sign him to a minor league contract, see if he still has the flash he showed last year.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I assume he has options left? Otherwise, there just isn't room for him on the big league roster, in my opinion. I guess they could send down Mastroianni and Lillibridge can be that 4th OF and the 6th infielder. I'd say, unless they trade Casilla or Carroll in the next two days, I'd pass.
    Mastroianni hasn't done anything worthy of being sent down. He's valuable from the bench as a defensive sub, pinch hitter, and pinch runner.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Brilliant!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Picking up 28 year old marginal hitters makes no sense. None.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 80 Times in 60 Posts
    Exactly what problem does Lillibridge solve?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    why?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    If we are going to give playing time to a player with zero value whatsoever we might as well call up Nishioka and let him get his hacks in.