Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Quickie Response Thread to the Question: Should the Twins Trade Liriano?

The Quickie Response Thread to the Question: Should the Twins Trade Liriano?

OK, here is the concept of this thread. Please answer the question with Yes or No and then post no more than 3 sentences to explain your answer. I'll start.

Should the Twins trade Francisco Liriano?

No. The Twins need quality starting pitching and Liriano fits the bill. Any trade of Liriano would likely include a starting pitcher in return, probably of lower quality than Liriano. Trading him would be a net loss to the starting rotation.

>Next<
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Yes*

*Assuming they can't get him to sign a 2 year 16-18 mil deal (w 11 mil team option for 3rd year) prior to the deadline.

Liked 330 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, trade him for a good prospect. His hot streak is another mirage, because he's been healthy and good exactly one time in six years since his debut. And even despite his hot streak his 2012 walk rate is the highest it's ever been, 5+ BB/9. The difference between bringing him back for one or, say, three years is the difference between taking one bad risk or three.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 07-16-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. This is what we were all hoping for back in April; a good run leading to trade value. His past record does not allow us the luxury of thinking "this time will be different." Let's not forget he has motivation now - a new contract; once signed, then what?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Francisco looks good right now but I don't trust him to continue looking good in 2013, especially not at the price he should command if he keeps this up all season long. Take the prospect and run.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trade Him

Liriano has been erratic and unreliable. He will be a free agent after the season with no guarantee that the Twins will sign him. Please, Terry Ryan, get fair value.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    If you check out Lirianos last 77 games (70 starts) which includes his entire terrible 2010 season he has put up the following numbers:

4.38 ERA
    8.8 k/9
    4.0 bb/9
    1.368 WHIP

Let's stop pretending like these last 9 starts or whatever are the only time he has looked decent lately.

We should offer a contract based off those numbers plus a little extra for upside, thus the 2 years 16-18 million.

Yes.

If he gets hurt or goes back to being "Bad Frankie" in August or September you get nothing. He is one of the few chips the Twins have that can bring back a couple high upside low level minor leaguers. SELL HIGH AND BUILD FOR A RUN IN 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    If you check out Lirianos last 77 games (70 starts) which includes his entire terrible 2010 season he has put up the following numbers:

4.38 ERA
    8.8 k/9
    4.0 bb/9
    1.368 WHIP

Let's stop pretending like these last 9 starts or whatever are the only time he has looked decent lately.

We should offer a contract based off those numbers plus a little extra for upside, thus the 2 years 16-18 million.
    His BB/9IP of 5.05 in 2012 is inflated by a slow start in April.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    No, unless a reasonable 3 yr extension has already been discussed and hes not interested.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. I feel bad for saying this, but I want him traded for HIS sake more than the team's. It'd be fun to see him work under a pitching coach who might know, well, what he's doing with top-level talent. To me, Francisco is just another case of a foreign ballplayer who gets his name anglicized by Gardy, gets labeled a head case by the coaching staff and gets derailed from a promising career until he gets an opportunity to leave. Goodbye, Francisco -- it'll be fun watching you help a team to a pennant (even if it's the Yankees (GAG!)).

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Yes

Trade now for something and sign him in the offseason if possible.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LastOnePicked View Post
    Yes. I feel bad for saying this, but I want him traded for HIS sake more than the team's. It'd be fun to see him work under a pitching coach who might know, well, what he's doing with top-level talent. To me, Francisco is just another case of a foreign ballplayer who gets his name anglicized by Gardy, gets labeled a head case by the coaching staff and gets derailed from a promising career until he gets an opportunity to leave. Goodbye, Francisco -- it'll be fun watching you help a team to a pennant (even if it's the Yankees (GAG!)).
    Yeah, I really wish Rick Anderson would have gotten more out of Johan Santana. Such a waste.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes. He's not staying either way. Why does anyone think that Liriano wants to stay in Minnesota?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    No, they should try every means to sign him first, they will not find anyone better.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd even offer him 3/24 today... and if he says No, absolutely trade him.

Yes. First you get some return in the trade.

And freeing the time of the staff of one underachieving (although very talented) pitcher may yield benefits to the other auditioning SP canidates. So
    possible some addition by subtractoin on that front.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    Yes. He's not staying either way. Why does anyone think that Liriano wants to stay in Minnesota?
    Its large latin fanbase?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes. These notions of a "reasonable" extension are laughable. And I wouldn't pay what he ultimately is going to get this offseason. Get value why you still can.

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    Why does anyone think he doesnt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast