Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Gleeman & the Geek Ep 50: Waving the White Flag

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Gleeman & the Geek Ep 50: Waving the White Flag

Did I hear correctly that Liriano is not a headcase?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there was a `10-12 minute discussion on that very topic.

After listening to this podcast again, I guess I can conclude that I am a non-analytical person. I couldn't disagree more with the notion that Liriano is not a headcase.

Yeah, I think Aaron was arguing that the variation in Lirano's performance is normal. It's probably a question that could be answered quantitatively, for example, what does the run distribution by inning for a typical starting pitcher look like? Perhaps for a guy with a ~5 ERA it's something like 0 1 0 2 0 1 0, for example (specifically, you'd be looking at the standard deviation of runs by inning). For Liriano, every time it seems to be 0 0 0 0 0 0 5. It's hard to say for sure, but I would guess that either he's a head case or there's something about his pitching style that makes huge innings more likely.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
    Yeah, I think Aaron was arguing that the variation in Lirano's performance is normal. It's probably a question that could be answered quantitatively, for example, what does the run distribution by inning for a typical starting pitcher look like? Perhaps for a guy with a ~5 ERA it's something like 0 1 0 2 0 1 0, for example (specifically, you'd be looking at the standard deviation of runs by inning). For Liriano, every time it seems to be 0 0 0 0 0 0 5. It's hard to say for sure, but I would guess that either he's a head case or there's something about his pitching style that makes huge innings more likely.
    Part of it might be that he's struggling with his mechanics more when pitching out of the stretch.

For his career, hitters' OPS against Liriano improves from .659 to .761 when there are runners on.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,242 Times in 495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    For his career, hitters' OPS against Liriano improves from .659 to .761 when there are runners on.
    Compared to the league average increase, which is only 30-ish points.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Compared to the league average increase, which is only 30-ish points.
    Right, just about every pitcher is somewhat worse with runners on. But the difference with bases empty and with runners on for Liriano would indicate that either having runners on gets in his head, or pitching out of the stretch makes it more difficult for him to locate his pitches. Or, most likely, some of both.

Liriano has a UHR of 96.8 out of a scale of 100. League average is 21.4 for pitchers, so he is wayyyy ahead of the curve here.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by @_2244 View Post
    Liriano has a UHR of 96.8 out of a scale of 100. League average is 21.4 for pitchers, so he is wayyyy ahead of the curve here.
    What is UHR? Ultimate Headcase Rating?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,525 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Meh, everybody knows that Ultimate Headcase Rating numbers aren't reliable until the player has played at least three consecutive seasons with a live chicken strapped to his head.

edit: Son of a bitch...

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Bingo.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    Meh, everybody knows that Ultimate Headcase Rating numbers aren't reliable until the player has played at least three consecutive seasons with a live chicken strapped to his head.

edit: Son of a bitch...

Will the chicken help him keep his balance, reducing the chance of falling over?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    The point isn't that Liriano isn't a headcase, the point is that giving up a HR in that game is not PROOF that he is a headcase. That when he gives up runs, it is not necessarily because he is a headcase. That was the point.....

Either way, another good episode.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 754 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the occasional HR isn't the reason, it's the sudden inability to find the strike zone.