Thread: Article: Blow by blow blogging of our annual pack of baseball cards

Article: Blow by blow blogging of our annual pack of baseball cards

Peanuts From Heaven

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed this article... brought back memories. I still try to buy a box of Bowman each year. Like you wrote, it's that anticipation of getting that top rookie or some valuable insert card. I remember the 1989 Bowman where you could see the first card at the top of the pack. It didn't take much time to realize the pack pattern and know which packs would get you a Ken Griffey Jr rookie card! And, that last paragraph is great!! Even in a disappointing season, there are so many reasons to continue watching the team as a fan, including that anticipation of seeing something spectacular. Thank you!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    Last year my buddy found a garage sale that was selling unopened packs of 1988 and 1992 Topps baseball cards for their original price that was listed on the package. He bought about 20 of them and we had a blast ripping through them. Oh the names, the mustaches, the memories!

Chris Sabo, Lenny Harris, Chris Nabholz! What could be better?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a great article. I remember the rush on Donruss looking for Griffey's rookie card, as well as the Upper Deck roll out. I wouldn't call it foolish or childish. What is wrong with having an easy, cheap way to relive some childhood joy? Kudos to you.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reading your post, I caught a whiff of stale tutti-frutti gum. I know gum doesn't come with card packs anymore. Just strange how the memory works.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    This is a great article. I remember the rush on Donruss looking for Griffey's rookie card, as well as the Upper Deck roll out. I wouldn't call it foolish or childish. What is wrong with having an easy, cheap way to relive some childhood joy? Kudos to you.

I still remember the moment I opened that pack of 89 upper deck that held the Griffey rookie card. The most beautiful card ever made. The smell of the Upper Deck cards was very different and kinda cool.

Liked 357 Times in 203 Posts
    Thanks for giving me a Monday morning smile. Great column.

Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    I still remember the moment I opened that pack of 89 upper deck that held the Griffey rookie card. The most beautiful card ever made. The smell of the Upper Deck cards was very different and kinda cool.

That's right -- you just made me remember the Upper Decks. Foil packaging, as opposed to plastic or wax paper. It had a smell sort of like camera film.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    And this is why I am having such a hard time starting to sell mine.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    You are right... I got two of those Griffey UD rookies and they smelled good! And, gasp, they cost $1 a pack!! Ha!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Excellent. It inspired me. I went to Target the other and purposely went to the express lane on the end. I picked up some Topps myself, and I'm glad I did.

Got a Mauer. #winning.