Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Trading Season Opens: Prepare For Disappointment

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good article JC!
    If I were an opposing GM, I would start the conversation with Terry Ryan with, "You guys have the worst starting rotation in baseball. Why do you want to trade your best starting pitcher? What's wrong with him?".
    That being said I really hope we can get something good for Frankie. I trust Ryan to make a good deal.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    Good article JC!
    If I were an opposing GM, I would start the conversation with Terry Ryan with, "You guys have the worst starting rotation in baseball. Why do you want to trade your best starting pitcher? What's wrong with him?".
    TR response: "We're just not confident that we can sign him to a long-term deal - we think he would be happier with a different organization." Problem solved.

Liked 360 Times in 204 Posts
    Just as a reminder -- and for a bit of amusement -- I'm bumping this thread.

And yes, it appears that JC and others were right in thinking that Frankie should have been traded immediately after his 15K performance.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    And yes, it appears that JC and others were right in thinking that Frankie should have been traded immediately after his 15K performance.
    Even during his good streak teams were still thinking of him as a reliever suggesting that his value was never very high.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'd have dealt him right after that 15K performance, but Oxtung is right, the "rumors" at the time didn't have much that indicated he was highly valued. Also, the legitimate rotation upgrades like Greinke were still on the market, so teams that were in on him (like Chicago, for instance) weren't ready to settle for Liriano. Ryan indicated other teams were still interested, but if what he got from Chicago was indicative of what others were offering, there wasn't anything being offered that Liriano fans would have felt was enough.

I guess I would restate my quetsion from the article... if you were a GM, what would YOU offer for two months of Liriano? After Frankie's implosion in Chicago last week, I'm surprised Ryan got what he did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12