Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Jose Berrios

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Jose Berrios

Jose Berrios record his 4th save tonight. In 5 appearances he has struck out 12 in 7 innings. It seems like a good start and hopefully more to come.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm curious if he'll remain in the bullpen all season, or if they'll eventually give him a start or two. Doesn't really matter because in the GCL, it's all about pitch count.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    I forgot to note he is 4 for 4 in save opportunities. Not that it means much in the GCL, but hey it's someone to look forward to seeing in the future possibly closing out games.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,250 Times in 498 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Not that it means much in the GCL
    Doesn't mean much at any level.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I'm guessing that Berrios is pitching in the bullpen since he pitched a full HS schedule this spring and they don't want to wreck his arm. Other college/HS pitchers have pitched out of the pen the first season. He'll be a starter next season.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, he will definitely be starting next season, whether it is at the GCL or Elizabethton level. Just curious how much they'll extend him this year. He certainly has an electric arm.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A full HS schedule? What does that have to do with anything? If he's thrown 150 innings already I can see limiting him this year, but otherwise I think its wasting his time. My opinion, is they should be getting him in a routine they want, let him throw every 5 days, and shut him down when they think he's reached his pitch limit. Having him throw like a reliever isn't helping anything. Right now they should be trying to build up arm strength and work on locating pitches, not blowing it by undisciplined hitters for one inning at a time. Couldn't disagree with this philosophy more. Strong, healthy arms aren't created by coddling.

*If there is more to the story then my bad

While I dont truly agree with the reasoning, MN gets a 'free' year out of Berrios.....meaning that with the new signing period, other #1 pick pitchers wouldnt participate at all during the drafted season.
    My thought is if he continues to dominate, he should go to ELIZ & if it continues.....Beloit to start next year to challenge him.
    I am following the way BALT did with Dylan Bundy....know he's a top top prospect, but if you dont challenge a guy..you dont know what he can accomplish.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    now he's a top top prospect, but if you dont challenge a guy..you dont know what he can accomplish.
    There might be other issues in play here other than can he strike out players in A ball. The Twins might want Berrios to get accumulated to life in the states, improve his English, work on education/finance issues etc. They might want him to not worry about baseball as much right now.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    There might be other issues in play here other than can he strike out players in A ball. The Twins might want Berrios to get accumulated to life in the states, improve his English, work on education/finance issues etc. They might want him to not worry about baseball as much right now.
    Absolutely that may be it, but wouldnt Puerto Rico...rather than Carribean/SAmerica for ex...be easier to adapt to the states??? Is it easier to adapt to the States in the Appalachians or in Wisconsin.....not much difference really.

Senior Member All-Star
    Absolutely that may be it, but wouldnt Puerto Rico...rather than Carribean/SAmerica for ex...be easier to adapt to the states???
    Easier but still not the same. Spanish is his native language, I have no idea how good his English is. So maybe the Twins want him in Florida for less culture shock and get him ready for E-Town or Beloit next year. At least, that's my guess.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 756 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's in higschool... expecting him to dominate A ball is a bit ambitious... He's going to get time in Elizabethon first.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Easier but still not the same. Spanish is his native language, I have no idea how good his English is. So maybe the Twins want him in Florida for less culture shock and get him ready for E-Town or Beloit next year. At least, that's my guess.
    dont get me wrong....Jose in GCL is where he should be.
    This year is a freebie for MN in terms of development as former #1s signed late almost always & would pitch very infrequently in their draft year.
    The ELIZ/Beloit thing for me is next year & next year only....just dont want 2 seasons in short season ball if he pitches well.
    In terms of culture shock, that is what Im talkin about (Appalachians vs Wis). If he stays in EST till short season starts & then goes to Beloit, Im fine also.

Senior Member All-Star
    dont get me wrong....Jose in GCL is where he should be.
    This year is a freebie for MN in terms of development as former #1s signed late almost always & would pitch very infrequently in their draft year.
    The ELIZ/Beloit thing for me is next year & next year only....just dont want 2 seasons in short season ball if he pitches well.
    In terms of culture shock, that is what Im talkin about (Appalachians vs Wis). If he stays in EST till short season starts & then goes to Beloit, Im fine also.
    Gotcha, and I agree.

as a 19 yr old (2011) first round pick (#28), Dodgers #1 prospect Zach Lee pitched the entire year in the MWL.....just to compare to someone a lil less high profile than Dylan Bundy. In his 2nd yr, at age 20, he has spent the first half at High A & promoted to AA for last 3 starts.
    Why cant Berrios do this??

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    as a 19 yr old (2011) first round pick (#28), Dodgers #1 prospect Zach Lee pitched the entire year in the MWL.....just to compare to someone a lil less high profile than Dylan Bundy. In his 2nd yr, at age 20, he has spent the first half at High A & promoted to AA for last 3 starts.
    Why cant Berrios do this??
    Not the best example since Zach Lee got a 5.25M signing bonus. He was a high profile signee. Berrios will likely start in E-Town. There's a chance he starts in Beloit but I'm hoping for a mid year promotion.