Thread: Angels have interest in Capps and Liriano

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts

Angels have interest in Capps and Liriano

per MLBtraderumors

Angels Have Interest in Matt Capps, Francisco Liriano

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    Angels don't have the best farm system around but a few names do interest me:

Kaleb Cowart 3B
    Jean Segura SS/2B
    Garrett Richards could probably be had to, but he doesn't excite me to much, just looks like another #4/#5 guy potentially.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins could get Jean Segura for Liriano straight up, I would consider that a steal. But as someone in the "offer Liriano arbitration unless you get an offer you can't refuse" camp, I would really want to at least get an arm back.

Here's my "If I were Terry Ryan" offer to the Angels:

Francisco Liriano and James Beresford for Jean Segura and a PTBNL who would turn into Austin Wood (on Aug. 15), a hard-throwing RHP who would join the Beloit rotation. I would also tell Frankie that I'll keep a bucket of Bazooka and his #47 jersey available because I want to sign him in free agency.

Segura would rank between #3-#6 in the Twins organization (Rosario, Arcia, Benson group) and Wood rank in the 25ish range.

As for Capps... ah... that would depend on how much of the buyout the Angels would want me to pay.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
    It's good that the rumors are starting to come in but I think other teams might be better fits (i.e. more desperate) for bullpen help or another starter than the Angels.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    If the Twins could get Jean Segura for Liriano straight up, I would consider that a steal. But as someone in the "offer Liriano arbitration unless you get an offer you can't refuse" camp, I would really want to at least get an arm back.

Here's my "If I were Terry Ryan" offer to the Angels:

Francisco Liriano and James Beresford for Jean Segura and a PTBNL who would turn into Austin Wood (on Aug. 15), a hard-throwing RHP who would join the Beloit rotation. I would also tell Frankie that I'll keep a bucket of Bazooka and his #47 jersey available because I want to sign him in free agency.

Segura would rank between #3-#6 in the Twins organization (Rosario, Arcia, Benson group) and Wood rank in the 25ish range.

As for Capps... ah... that would depend on how much of the buyout the Angels would want me to pay.
    Capps buyout is only 250k. If the Twins balk at a prospect becuase of that figure, heads need to roll.

I also don't mind the idea of moving Liriano to the Angels even if the Twins do have an eye on signing him in the off-season. With tough option decisions on Ervin Santana and Dan Haren, the Angels may not be in a position to offer him arbitration next year. If they do offer arbitration, it may mean the options on the other two may not be picked up. I'd be very interested in Dan Haren and after a sub-par 2012, his cost in terms of dollars and years may be in the Twins realm of possiblity.

Richards, 24, would be at top of list. LAA 3rd prospect from BAmerica lists him as a possible #2 pitcher, who in his 14g 9starts 50.1 IP win majors has averaged 94.7mph on fastball. He is only 24 & would immediately be at top of our rotation. His MLB problem has been walks w/26 (37Ks).
    Segura, 22, is a SS but expected to move to 3B due to range issues. Angels #2 guy....55 overall....is in AA but having only an average year & has really battled injuries---106gms in 08/09/11--w/Plouffe, do we need a 3B prospect tho I understand you collect talent & fugure it out later.
    Would be happy with either

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Capps buyout is only 250k. If the Twins balk at a prospect becuase of that figure, heads need to roll.

I also don't mind the idea of moving Liriano to the Angels even if the Twins do have an eye on signing him in the off-season. With tough option decisions on Ervin Santana and Dan Haren, the Angels may not be in a position to offer him arbitration next year. If they do offer arbitration, it may mean the options on the other two may not be picked up. I'd be very interested in Dan Haren and after a sub-par 2012, his cost in terms of dollars and years may be in the Twins realm of possiblity.
    New collective bargaining, LAA can offer Liriano arbitration but if he declines they do NOT get a draft pick. Traded players in season lose that option for the team acquiring them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    New collective bargaining, LAA can offer Liriano arbitration but if he declines they do NOT get a draft pick. Traded players in season lose that option for the team acquiring them.
    Right. I get it, I was just trying to make the point that it's unlikely the Angels would offer arbitration to Liriano and pick up the options for Santana and Haren, all three of which the Twins may have interest in come 2013 if available.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I would offer to pay the buyout if my C prospect can become a B- prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Segura, 22, is a SS but expected to move to 3B due to range issues. Angels #2 guy....55 overall....is in AA but having only an average year & has really battled injuries---106gms in 08/09/11--w/Plouffe, do we need a 3B prospect tho I understand you collect talent & fugure it out later.
    Would be happy with either
    I think Segura is more likely to end up at 2B. Which would be a welcome addition as soon as the middle of next year. Keeps the seat warm for Rosario a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I would offer to pay the buyout if my C prospect can become a B- prospect.

I think Segura is more likely to end up at 2B. Which would be a welcome addition as soon as the middle of next year. Keeps the seat warm for Rosario a little longer.
    My fault....double checked & it IS 2B. Would want him regardless tho
    Worried a bit about Capps.....went 1/2/3 but only hit 91mph