Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Brutal Campaign Ad(s)

  1. #1
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts

    Brutal Campaign Ad(s)



    No matter your politics, the production value here is eerily effective. I've often wondered why there's not more 'art' to such ads. Thoughts? Other favorite ads from the past?

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,562
    Like
    17
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I like this ad a lot. Its strange to me the direction the GOP is heading. While the dems are seemingly trying to reach out to the middle-class/upper middle-class, the GOP is fighting for the 1%. I'm a Ron Paul supporter so not your classic Republican, but what Paul has created a type of Libertarian Conservative. The more I pay attention the more it seems the GOP refuses to evolve and bring new solutions to the table. Now, I'm not in favor of handouts by any means, but do think its time the US gets tax money from people it deserves. Why do I have to pay so much in taxes when someone that makes 10 times more than me can hide it and end up paying less than I do? The system is broken. I don't trust Romney will correct it. As much as I disagree with some of the positions and decisions Obama has made, he is still more of a leader to me than Romney.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,605
    Like
    251
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Clinton's 3am ad was fantastic and I actually thought McCain's celebrity ad against Obama was pretty good, too.

  4. #4
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Now, I'm not in favor of handouts by any means, but do think its time the US gets tax money from people it deserves.
    I think this is key, and why Romney doesn't want to release his taxes, because he's paying at significantly lower rate than anyone in the middle class. The notion that tax breaks create jobs becomes complicated when you consider these job-creators already have a favorable tax code.

    The sad truth is that if we brought taxes to zero, the free market would still push jobs overseas because American labor is too expensive. What's the Republican solution then? Slowly lower the quality of life of the middle class?

  5. #5
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,663
    Like
    154
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    What's the Republican solution then? Slowly lower the quality of life of the middle class?
    That's not the intended solution, but you're right that they are focusing on trickle-down economics too heavily. What is amusing is that the Democratics have arguably had an even more damaging effect on the middle class ever since LBJ. I find it amusing how lefties are so blind to the damage they cause as well - just because your intentions are compassion and care - doesn't make the ****ty results any easier to swallow.

    What we really need is a true alternative plan from these two paths to misery. Neither party is offering that as usual.

  6. #6
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    147
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What lie isn't Obama willing to tell. He makes up the facts of his first date with his wife for crying out loud. Hey Barack nobody cares if you went to a movie or not, I'll accept political lies because it is a contact sport, but you better be willing to tell the truth once in a while.

  7. #7
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeer View Post
    What lie isn't Obama willing to tell. He makes up the facts of his first date with his wife for crying out loud. Hey Barack nobody cares if you went to a movie or not, I'll accept political lies because it is a contact sport, but you better be willing to tell the truth once in a while.
    What's he lying about? Let's see how much you really care about truth-telling.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,886
    Like
    74
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    What's he lying about? Let's see how much you really care about truth-telling.
    His first date with his wife. DUH!

  9. #9
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    147
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whats wrong with outsourcing? I understand that if a specific job is moved it is bad for a specific person, but overall outsourcing is good for the entire economy. Look at your cellphone and tell me what you would have had to pay for all it does 5 years ago. Obamas green (a term that means nothing) job creation resulted in plenty of outsourcing as well.

  10. #10
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,033
    Like
    1,752
    Liked 1,218 Times in 487 Posts
    *speechless*
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,562
    Like
    17
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I actually work in the green sector, am I outsourced? LOL. For realz though, some green jobs (like wind) are jobs that get created out of thin air (or wind) and are permanent jobs that inject millions into the economy. At my site alone the 7 guys working there will be paid over .5 million in wages this year. Add in construction workers and sub-contractors and this is an industry that Americans should be supporting. I just like talking about wind, sorry.

  12. #12
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeer View Post
    Whats wrong with outsourcing? I understand that if a specific job is moved it is bad for a specific person, but overall outsourcing is good for the entire economy. Look at your cellphone and tell me what you would have had to pay for all it does 5 years ago. Obamas green (a term that means nothing) job creation resulted in plenty of outsourcing as well.
    Overall good for whom? Who exactly benefits from outsourcing? Not me. Probably not you. At some point we might actually have to be choose patriotism over capitalism; I doubt you have the balls to make the right choice.

  13. #13
    Can someone outsource me to Canada?

  14. #14
    Banned Double-A
    Posts
    147
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Saying you don't benefit from outsourcing is like saying you don't benefit from roads in northern Minnesota. If you want to pay $20 for a t-shirt thats spectacular. If you want to pay $1500 for an Iphone cool.

  15. #15
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,977
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,488 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeer View Post
    Saying you don't benefit from outsourcing is like saying you don't benefit from roads in northern Minnesota. If you want to pay $20 for a t-shirt thats spectacular. If you want to pay $1500 for an Iphone cool.
    Actually, producing electronics in America isn't nearly as expensive as one would think. Google just started manufacturing the Nexus Q in the US and it retails for $300. If it was made in China, it might be $249 or $199 at the very least. Given the savings in exporting, shipping, and a plethora of other reasons (state subsidies, weak dollar, etc.), it's really not that hard to bring manufacturing to the US if a corporation is truly interested in doing so.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,695
    Like
    6
    Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
    Of all the problems hitting our economy right now I would say outsourcing is pretty low on the list. Playing up stuff like this is why I will never be a full-fledged Democrat, but its not like the Republican alternative is all that attractive.

    The Obama campaign is not stupid, the one place they can get movement into the Romney coalition is with blue collar whites. Ads like this can only help.

    As an aside, after all that has happened in the economy and our country I am pretty surprised that no coalition has formed as strong anti-bank and anti-buyout. There is some noise but neither party will take up that mantle. Shows how corrupt our current politicians are in regards to the large banks.

  17. #17
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,994
    Like
    4,283
    Liked 687 Times in 360 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have come to the conclusion that the powerful lobbies will get what they want no matter who wins the presidency or Congress. We will continue to spend more on "defense" than the next 20+ countries combined, and Wall Street will continue to gamble with trillions of dollars of other people's money.

    The need to raise millions for political campaigning has corrupted almost everyone in Washington, and the Citizens United decision has made it easier than ever before for rich people to elect candidates (Democrats and Republicans) who will do their bidding. And someone who is basically honest like Ron Paul will never get the big dollars, because he would be a genuine threat to the fiction that is our government.

    On a more positive note, taxes on high earners are the lowest that they have been in decades, so this is a great time to be a high earner (and an even better time to get capital gains and dividend income.

    But on a negative note, the only way that the government can ever get out of this mess will be with double digit inflation, and when this kicks in, people who invest in fixed income instruments are going to get creamed. It would be wise to stock up on investments that will hold their value when the inflation hits.

  18. #18
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,927
    Like
    240
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    But on a negative note, the only way that the government can ever get out of this mess will be with double digit inflation, and when this kicks in, people who invest in fixed income instruments are going to get creamed. It would be wise to stock up on investments that will hold their value when the inflation hits.
    Well, inflation or lower wages, however you want to put it is exactly what Wall Street types want. They want to lower the standard of living among American people to keep profit margins equal or better than that of the past. I can't believe we, as a nation, tolerate this. Indeed what is good for hyper-capitalists is not good for all Americans. As I've said before, if we lower the tax rate to zero for "job creators," there's still economical incentive to hire non-Americans, because their labor is cheaper, because their standard of living is cheaper, because such countries haven't gone through their own French Revolution. What Wall Street types don't understand is that cheap labor is a limited resource and soon enough the working force of China and Indonesia will have had enough and will violently oppose their working conditions. And how will Mitt Romney's equity firms continue to make money without providing goods or services? Poor private equity; really, boo ****ing hoo. I'm so over the notion of free market clown car crap. (Glunn, this might not marry your point, so apologies; I've had a drink or seven, so a rant feels good.)

  19. #19
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,663
    Like
    154
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    As an aside, after all that has happened in the economy and our country I am pretty surprised that no coalition has formed as strong anti-bank and anti-buyout. There is some noise but neither party will take up that mantle. Shows how corrupt our current politicians are in regards to the large banks.
    Well said. Not only that, but neither party will get behind the idea of restoring the Glass-Steagall Act which just makes too much damn sense. The middle class is being pounded on by both left-wing and right-wing nonsense constantly.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,562
    Like
    17
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post

    On a more positive note, taxes on high earners are the lowest that they have been in decades, so this is a great time to be a high earner (and an even better time to get capital gains and dividend income.
    Positive for who? That certainly doesn't help me, or the 99% of other Americans. I have felt less and less sorry for these people and their taxes. Remember, if they have REPORTED income that high, their actual income is most likely much much higher. Why give them breaks when they have so many already? Its crazy. The money is getting more and more lopsided every year. That isn't how this country was supposed to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.