Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins Draft '12 = FAIL

Twins Draft '12 = FAIL

The Twins draft was once again an epic failure. Terry Ryan and the scouting department have failed ever since Mauer was drafted and nothing will change until they are fired.

Sad to see they left 1 million on the table when their farm system is depleted of even servicable arms. Without lucking into Buxton I would guess Terry and his good old boys would've been fired by now.

Here is what John Sickles has to say about the draft:

"The Twins were left with the second largest total under their allotment but when adding in the 5% that a team could overspend, they left over a million dollars on the table. That number would be close to $900k without the Mazilli signing but 100k is not counted for the players taken after the 10th. Erich Knab and James Marvel would have been good targets to offer that extra money to. The Twins could have drafted and signed a million dollar talent and chose not to. This is a failure in my eyes. They were put in a position to make an impact and did not use any strategy. They took a pile of college arms in a weak year for college arms. I am disappointed. Sorry for the rant, it frustrates me listening to Twins management on the radio about their thoughts, then seeing a plan poorly administered."

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...dline-thoughts

I try to talk to scouts at Twins games frequently and yesterday talking to a few they feel the Twins are so far behind the times in scouting, player development and statistical analysis that they will not recover until the house is clean.

The problem for all of us as fans is that the Twins org is a good old boys society and as long as you are a "nice guy" you will never be canned.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess we'll learn how good (or non-good) this draft was in about five years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I guess we'll learn how good (or non-good) this draft was in about five years or so.
    I'm sure you agree with Terry Ryan's idea to pocket a mil and not go after some upside picks because you feel Twins can't use any more talent in their organization right? It's more about the poor thought process at this point in not having a plan and again not knowing the rules.

Just like the Capps deal where Ryan didn't realize the Twins could pocket a free Sandwich pick by letting him sign elsewhere. Which again, shows Terry Ryan does NOT put any value on the draft.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow. You're a quick grader and a fatalist. Thanks for the pep talk buddy!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Terry Ryan knows the value of the draft. I definitely didn't understand signing Capps. I'm also not going to pretend I know what negotiations were like with Knab, Marvel, Robinson, etc. The Twins could have offered them each whatever amount and they could have said no. I don't know. Or, they could ahve evaluated the players to be worth a certain amount and only were willing to go a certain amount more.

I did talk to Radcliff this spring and he was very heavily involved this year, along with Deron Johnson. They all knew the importance of this draft.

Also, and Jeremy Nygaard may know this... aren't teams allowed to carry a certain amount over to next year's draft?

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    I try to talk to scouts at Twins games frequently and yesterday talking to a few they feel the Twins are so far behind the times in scouting, player development and statistical analysis that they will not recover until the house is clean.
    Anybody here buy a single word of this sentence?

Also, and Jeremy Nygaard may know this... aren't teams allowed to carry a certain amount over to next year's draft?
    If this is true than I must apologize for the overreaction. Still Don't you have to talk to these prospects ahead of time regarding signability? To leave that much on the table this year when you could sign 2 or more potential impact prospects to start in your system this year has to be more valueable than carrying the money over to next year.

I hope Jeremy can shed some light on this issue of carryover money.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I am fortunate to have the money to sit in the primo seats which gives me ability to talk to scouts. You would be suprised how many are nice guys who are willing to talk. Some, especially when they are focused on the pitcher on the mound will not give you the time of day.

I see you are from Nevada, go to Cashman Field some day and sit behind home plate. There are usually scouts at minor league parks and those guys can be fun to talk to.

Im not one of the guys freakin out over Mazzilli, but if you knew he was a higher ranked guy who would want to be paid like a higher pick, why draft him?
    I hate wasted picks....if you're gonna draft someone, sign him.
    Still confused by the Bard pick, esp with the ROCs Mitch Brown available (who was rated very high)
    I do agree with them bein a good ole boys club.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I wouldn't buy it with food stamps. Maybe with Monopoly Money... on 2nd thought.. nah.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Terry Ryan knows the value of the draft. I definitely didn't understand signing Capps. I'm also not going to pretend I know what negotiations were like with Knab, Marvel, Robinson, etc. The Twins could have offered them each whatever amount and they could have said no. I don't know. Or, they could ahve evaluated the players to be worth a certain amount and only were willing to go a certain amount more.

I did talk to Radcliff this spring and he was very heavily involved this year, along with Deron Johnson. They all knew the importance of this draft.

Nope. Teams can't carry any unused bonus over (yet). I think it's possible that the "draft pool" will be re-evaluated and at some point it will be possible. Possibly a 3- to 5-year rolling "draft pool".

I agree to an extent with Sickles - and said it yesterday as well - that I wish there would have been a Plan B if Mazzilli wasn't going to take the money (and the overage). Maybe that was Zach Larson, maybe others said no. Unfortunately, as Seth said, we don't know how negotiations went with any of those guys. Knab said last week he was going to school. Maybe the Twins came in with a better offer that was shot down.

In the Twins defense, the Twins have thrown big money at middle-round picks in the past. Some have said yes (Tonkin, Malinowski, Higginbotham), some have turned down huge money (Ramsey) and returned to school. Others have been taken knowing the price tag was excessive (Nick Burdi) and probably was always only a Plan B. The way this year's draft was going to play out was completely unpredictable.

I'm on the record saying that I am disappointed by the draft, but I'm not ready to call it en epic failure. The organization added a handful of flame-throwers, something that was previously non-existent. They may all be out of baseball in two years, or maybe three of them become shutdown relievers. Maybe one develops into a frontline starter.

The Twins took (a league-high) 23 of BA's top 500 prospects. They did fail to sign seven of them, and that hurts a little. Of the top 500 prospects, though, 401 of them signed. On average, that's 13 players per team, the Twins got 16 of them... including the best one in the draft.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Wow, I really hope this user is a troll (albeit a rather terrible one)

Just because you have $1 million to spend doesn't mean you should always spend it or overspend on players who don't deserve it, its not like that money will suddenly vanish from thin air within the Twins organization.

That's like saying: Hey the Twins payroll budget had an extra 2 million to spend, maybe we should have given Rodney 2.7 million this off-season instead of 700,000, I mean the money was there right?

As far as the draft goes its impossible to grade now or anytime in 2012. Around a year from now you can start making a few preliminary grades but even that is rushing to judgement.

From first glance I like what the Twins did, obviously it would be nice if we could have drafted 10 pitchers that throw 100 MPH, but we def got some nice high upside guys. I am curious to see just how many of these hard throwing college relievers we can turn into starters, if we can turn one of them into a starter it would be a huge win.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have no idea what the hell the Twins gameplan for this draft was. Drafting an army of flawed college relief arms isn't how you rebuild a system. I wish the BYTO forum was still up cause I even mentioned that I bet the Twins will leave a bunch of money on the table and dammit if those cheap bastards didn't prove me right.

In the end we won't know what how this draft class was for years, but they took a flawed strategy when this farm system deperatly need an infusion of talent.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let me start with saying that I do not care much about Ryan. That said, I don't think that there was a single player available when the Twins picked with their first 2 picks who would be absolutely a no-brainer better than who they picked. It is not like Giolito fell down on the supplemental round and did not pick him. Mazzilli, like his dad, is a guy better suited for DH and PH. Why waste money in that kind of skillset? I'd rather see them invest the money they saved another way. It is not like they passed on someone because of the money...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins didn't leave a heap of money. Looking at the .9 million is a flawed view. They have a certain amount per slot they could go over before getting taxed. Obviously the unsigned kids weren't worth throwing that much extra money at. What did they have, 160 thousand left? How much did it cost to get Sano ect. If anyone thinks these guys that didn't sign are worth a ton of money right now you're kidding yourselves. Even Appel, the most polished pitcher in the draft, might not even make it. Plus, nitpicking about someone like Mazzilli is just overboard. I'm not a fan of every selection, but complaining about money spent is the last thing you should complain about. DPJ has it right, complain about the abundance of college relief arms chosen over starters (unless they can successfully convert a few). Complain about the players chosen, because that is where the Twins have the most control. With the way the draft is set-up now, players will either sign for their slot (or a little over) or not at all.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I'm not too concerned about this draft, although like Garroch (the minorleagueball writer - not Sickels) that I wish the Twins had been able to spend a bit more and bring in a guy like Marvel. I think the Twins have done a nice job adding talent through the draft and latin america over the last couple seasons - Buxton, Harrison, Felix Jorge etc - but it'll be a long time until we know if those moves are successful.

The attacks on Ryan are getting old. I think he'll be fine. Additionally, I'd love to know how much (in all areas) the Pohlads limit spending. Was Ryan told he could only spend about 11.5 in this draft or that he couldn't go over and get a penalty (which would drastically lower that 1m accusation).

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see you are from Nevada, go to Cashman Field some day and sit behind home plate. There are usually scouts at minor league parks and those guys can be fun to talk to.
    I see you are from Minnesota, go to Wrigley Field some day. A long day's drive of 400 miles, for either of us. If your knowledge of geography is half as good as your knowledge of baseball, then you still know nothing about either one. Supposing you've talked to someone before the game, they're likely going to just go along with your strong-held assumptions rather than argue with some stranger.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Do we have an ignore feature on this forum? If so, I'm not seeing one. The OPer is wasting everyone's time.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just dont see it. terry Ryan cut his teeth as a scout so he knows the value of good scouting. Do i like all of their picks? No, but they have made an effort to add what they had been lacking. Power arms, power hitters.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins draft was once again an epic failure. Terry Ryan and the scouting department have failed ever since Mauer was drafted and nothing will change until they are fired.

Sad to see they left 1 million on the table when their farm system is depleted of even servicable arms. Without lucking into Buxton I would guess Terry and his good old boys would've been fired by now.

Here is what John Sickles has to say about the draft:

"The Twins were left with the second largest total under their allotment but when adding in the 5% that a team could overspend, they left over a million dollars on the table. That number would be close to $900k without the Mazilli signing but 100k is not counted for the players taken after the 10th. Erich Knab and James Marvel would have been good targets to offer that extra money to. The Twins could have drafted and signed a million dollar talent and chose not to. This is a failure in my eyes. They were put in a position to make an impact and did not use any strategy. They took a pile of college arms in a weak year for college arms. I am disappointed. Sorry for the rant, it frustrates me listening to Twins management on the radio about their thoughts, then seeing a plan poorly administered."

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...dline-thoughts

The problem for all of us as fans is that the Twins org is a good old boys society and as long as you are a "nice guy" you will never be canned.
    C'mon, don't hold back. Share what you really think. It doesn't do any good to hold this stuff in and internalize it and let it fester.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast