Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: July 14th

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

July 14th

Toledo vs Rochester 6:05 PM
    Link
    TOL: Crosby (6-2, 3.18) vs. ROC: Blackburn (1-0, 3.21)

Trenton vs New Britain 6:05 PM
    Link
    TRN: Hall (7-6, 3.67) vs. NBR: Martin (3-3, 3.68)

Fort Myers vs Clearwater 5:35 PM
    Link
    FTM: Nelson (4-3, 4.42) vs. CLR: TBD

Beloit vs Lake County 6:05 PM
    Link
    BEL: Hurlbut (3-2, 2.04) vs. LC: Araujo (3-7, 4.86)

Bluefield vs Elizabethton 6:05 PM
    Link

GCL Red Sox vs GCL Twins
    Link

DSL Twins Off-Day
    Link

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why is Berrios closing? More evidence of stupidity?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Why is Berrios closing? More evidence of stupidity?
    easing him into it would be my guess, who knows how many innings he has thrown this year thus far.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Blackburn with a nice game.
    AAA lineup still is awful looking.

Hicks, Arcia with 1 hit each already. Hermannananannanananannannnnnn has 2 hits.
    Benson 3 hits.
    Ortiz 2 hits.

Sano 2 hits, 1 2B

Kepler a HR away from the cycle.
    Harrison 1 hits and zero errors!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    easing him into it would be my guess, who knows how many innings he has thrown this year thus far.
    this one is interesting to watch on how MN handles him. Berrios IS a first round pick.
    Last yrs #1 picks didnt pitch (many anyways) as they signed late. BALTs Dylan Bundy started his 19 yr old season in Low A with a promotion to High A. Where will Berrios start....ELIZ of course as MNs goal is to fill their minor league rosters , NOT to get guys to the majors ASAP. Mn promotes according to age, not performance

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    this one is interesting to watch on how MN handles him. Berrios IS a first round pick.
    Last yrs #1 picks didnt pitch (many anyways) as they signed late. BALTs Dylan Bundy started his 19 yr old season in Low A with a promotion to High A. Where will Berrios start....ELIZ of course as MNs goal is to fill their minor league rosters , NOT to get guys to the majors ASAP. Mn promotes according to age, not performance
    Not the rule, but as a tradition yes. One that I absolutely hate. However, when they've had MLB caliber stars they do move quickly through the system (like Arcia has done).

Berrios is not comparable to Dylan Bundy. He's throwing from the bullpen to keep his innings down, I'm guessing. Maybe he'll get a few starts later, but there's no problem with starting him in relief role. They aren't going to keep him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Berrios is not comparable to Dylan Bundy. He's throwing from the bullpen to keep his innings down, I'm guessing. Maybe he'll get a few starts later, but there's no problem with starting him in relief role. They aren't going to keep him there.
    why isnt a first round (supplemental I know) high school pick able to be compared to another high school first round pick (#4 I get it)???
    Bundy didnt pitch last year so in comparison, this is a freebie year of development.....but how the Twins view him will be determined by what they do with him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Not the rule, but as a tradition yes. One that I absolutely hate. However, when they've had MLB caliber stars they do move quickly through the system (like Arcia has done).
    gcl is essentially double extended spring training where they keep stats. that gcl staff is loaded and the guys starting have more experience - malinowski and gibbons have been at the complex all year, montanez started last year, rosario, jorge and landa pitched in the dsl last year - not to mention there are about ten arms that could/should be starting on that staff and they've already had to incorporate a bunch of rehab starts (gibson, bromberg, salcedo) so there's nothing to be bent about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    gcl is essentially double extended spring training where they keep stats. that gcl staff is loaded and the guys starting have more experience - malinowski and gibbons have been at the complex all year, montanez started last year, rosario, jorge and landa pitched in the dsl last year - not to mention there are about ten arms that could/should be starting on that staff and they've already had to incorporate a bunch of rehab starts (gibson, bromberg, salcedo) so there's nothing to be bent about.
    I guess that makes more sense. If I were the Twins though I'd be doing everything possible to make my first round pick succeed. If that means releasing players or moving people around thats what you do.