@nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Ten Second-Half Storylines

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11) Health

Do the Twins enter the offseason confident in the health of Mauer, Morneau and Span? Last offseason these were big question marks and may have been a factor in how they developed the roster. This winter's planning will be easier if the concussions, wrist and leg problems are a year behind them. To a lesser extent, Doumit is also managing his way through a rare healthy season.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great list, Nick!! EAch of these is great! Excellent work!

If Diamond turns out to be a 3.50 ERA innings eater, we have a "good" #2.

What we don't want is to start next year with our #1 being a 4.00+ ERA, 4 SO/9 "innings eater."

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    11) Health

Do the Twins enter the offseason confident in the health of Mauer, Morneau and Span? Last offseason these were big question marks and may have been a factor in how they developed the roster. This winter's planning will be easier if the concussions, wrist and leg problems are a year behind them. To a lesser extent, Doumit is also managing his way through a rare healthy season.
    Matt Capps, Carl Pavano, and P.J. Walters rehab concerns included.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bonus: The Cole De Vries train. Does De Vries have a chance to continue putting up quality starts when so many people think his stuff just isn't that good? A nuthin' fastball, a big, slow overhand curve, a little this a little that. How does he do it? Can he keep doing it?

What if he does? If Cole De Vries wins more games than any other starter, will the Twins still send him down to AAA?

Bonus #2: Can Drew Butera throw a knuckle ball?
    Last edited by jimbo92107; 07-11-2012 at 10:30 PM.

I'm still skeptical about Diamond, because of his low K/9 and my doubts that he can sustain the low walk rate he's posted so far. Right now, his performance has been absolutely the best case scenario for a pitcher of his type, but he's walking a fine line. What's the track record of pitchers who start out at 26 with a low strikeout rate, already depending on exceptionally fine control and a high groundball percentage to be successful? I wouldn't expect many of them to have a good, long career.

If Diamond's walk rate regresses to around 3.0, and his strikeout rate slips just a bit, and maybe he starts allowing some more flyballs, suddenly he's Nick Blackburn, or Carlos Silva after his miracle year. Maybe he has one more strong season in him. Maybe he'll be at least a decent back-end starter for 2-3 years. But I just hope Terry Ryan doesn't go signing him to any longterm contract.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Either I've missed it or everybody has been holding their collective breath, but frightwig's above comment on Diamond seems long overdue. I'm being a little ironic, but I've been surprised one of the resident stat analysts (or Gleeman) hasn't burst my bubble sooner on Diamond. Shine on Scott, shine on.

Nick, for some reason I am so optimistic about this team that I am hoping they trade for Felix Hernandez. May not make enough of a difference this year, but it just might re-ignite team and fan confidence going into next year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bonus #2: Can Drew Butera throw a knuckle ball?
    Someone call Phil and R.A., and give this kid a rosin bag.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    About Brian Dozier...

"He's actually been better lately, with a .321 average in July, but his plate discipline and defense remain suspect and absolutely must improve."

Wait what? He batted .321 in July, but his plate discipline is suspect? What must a man do to allay these suspicions?

Even if a guy jumps up and down waving the bat wildly, if he bats .321 he's doing pretty well. And his defense...seldom do we see rookies come up with a completely polished defensive game. They tend to be erratic, but along with the silly goofs, the good ones make exciting plays, as Dozier's been doing.

Dozier appears to be a cross between a young Nick Punto and a young Dustin Pedroia. The more Pedroia the better, of course, but even if he's more of a Punto, that's still a pretty good ball player. Clearly Dozier's got more pop than Punto, so I'm looking forward to seeing some very good ball from this guy.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 616 Times in 343 Posts
    So 8 games in July and we make Pedroia comps? Yowza.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Even if a guy jumps up and down waving the bat wildly, if he bats .321 he's doing pretty well.
    Actually hitting .321 over 28 at-bats doesn't mean much at all. And when the solid average is attached to shoddy plate discipline (6/1 K/BB) and little power (1 XBH) it becomes less encouraging.

Dozier's calling card in the minors was a solid plate approach, and until that manifests in the majors I'll remain wary of his offensive ability.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,524 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Actually hitting .321 over 28 at-bats doesn't mean much at all.
    I'd go as far to say it doesn't mean anything at all. Drew Butera has done that in 28 AB stretches.

Dozier has been playing better but until he does it for two months, I'm skeptical (and overall, I'm a Dozier supporter).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    My dream. Danny starts tearin up AAA and pushes Plouffe back to another try at SS where he sticks. And Dozier becomes the "Punto" referenced above.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    My dream. Danny starts tearin up AAA and pushes Plouffe back to another try at SS where he sticks. And Dozier becomes the "Punto" referenced above.
    Keep dreaming...

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 753 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even in this dread scenario, I have a tough time believing Dozier woudln't take over at 2nd... Not quite sure why people suddenly don't like him. Everyone was lining up to make him a starter in spring training. He's a rookie who is going to take his lumps. Even the highest regarded rookies typically have problems.