Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Make a Deal forNick Blackburn

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Let's Make a Deal forNick Blackburn

It's time to make a deal after that great showing of 8 shutout innings for the Red Wings. So which playoff hopeful needs a SP?>

Basically we'd have to find another $5M guy on another team that they dont want (ex Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley)
    Anyone think of someone??

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    It's time to make a deal after that great showing of 8 shutout innings for the Red Wings. So which playoff hopeful needs a SP?>
    I know this is a sarcastic post, but if Blackburn can figure things out to be a decent #4/#5 like he has shown in the past it would be huge for this club moving forward. No team is going to trade for him anytime soon and we owe him a nice chunk of change in 2013, so ideally he can get back to his old form for us and be an innings eater in 2013 with a 4.00-4.50 ERA, rather have that then spend another $3-$5 million on the next Ramon Ortiz/Livan Hernandez/Jason Marquis to fill out the back of the rotation.

he will surpisingly earn the 5th spot in the rotation next spring & Gardy/TRyan will claim his contract will have nothing to do with it.
    After 2 months of ROC, Kyle Gibson will be called up for Blackburn & his 5.5 ERA. They will just keep him as the placeholder for Gibson.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Gardy won't be back either.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    he will surpisingly earn the 5th spot in the rotation next spring & Gardy/TRyan will claim his contract will have nothing to do with it.
    After 2 months of ROC, Kyle Gibson will be called up for Blackburn & his 5.5 ERA. They will just keep him as the placeholder for Gibson.
    Feel free to name the other 4 pitchers in the rotation other than Blackburn that will block Gibson at the start of next year?

Though on 2nd thought, maybe delaying Gibsons entry into the majors to avoid super 2 status wouldn't be the worst thing in the world....

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Hopefully Gardy won't be back either.
    Your delusional if you think Gardy is the reason this team has been crappy the past two seasons.

2011: An ungodly amount of Injuries- Not Gardy's fault.
    2012: Awful, Awful rotation- Not Gardy's fault.

Yeah, Blackburn or Lyle French of Sam Deduno or P.J. Walters. Name your poison. I'm surprised the Twins didn't send Dozier down for a couple of weeks and bring up the hot hitting Toshi, just to get some payback.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Yeah, Blackburn or Lyle French of Sam Deduno or P.J. Walters. Name your poison. I'm surprised the Twins didn't send Dozier down for a couple of weeks and bring up the hot hitting Toshi, just to get some payback.
    Lyle French? Dozier down for Tosoni?

What on earth are you talking about?

Liked 303 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I know this is a sarcastic post, but if Blackburn can figure things out to be a decent #4/#5 like he has shown in the past it would be huge for this club moving forward. No team is going to trade for him anytime soon and we owe him a nice chunk of change in 2013, so ideally he can get back to his old form for us and be an innings eater in 2013 with a 4.00-4.50 ERA, rather have that then spend another $3-$5 million on the next Ramon Ortiz/Livan Hernandez/Jason Marquis to fill out the back of the rotation.
    You make total sense to me. I share the widespread nausea when Blackburn is pitching, but it would be illogical not to wait and see if he might be able to get back to being a decent #4 or #5, as opposed to the Ramon Ortiz/Livan Hernandez/Jason Marquis who will be even more nauseating.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1 good start doesn't right the wrongs... Blackburn won't fetch a bucket of warm spit right now, and as such he's going to be a Twin next year. My biggest fear is that they will count on him performing.

Nick Blackburn for the batting cage that the Rangers use in Arlington?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Leave his ass to rot in Rochester and be the teams 6th or 7th starter. You can't keep throwing the guy out there cause it's not an elbow or some other crazy injury, the guy just can't get out MLB hitters.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Ummmm......we are pretty much stuck with him, so hopefully he can regain his form and give us a mid 4 ERA and be a 4 5 guy for us next year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Your delusional if you think Gardy is the reason this team has been crappy the past two seasons.

2011: An ungodly amount of Injuries- Not Gardy's fault.
    2012: Awful, Awful rotation- Not Gardy's fault.
    Exactly! Don't people remember all those Division titles Gardy won... Oh yeah and then they got their clocks cleaned in the playoffs. So people want to say 2011 and 2012 are not his fault but would say he was a great manager when they won all those AL Central titles. You can't have it both ways, it is time for a change whether it is not his fault. I would be happy to see some new blood finally so the Twins can turn/burn these horrible years from our memories and start clean in 2013 and contend once again.

BYE BYE Gardy and take Nicky with you..

Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Exactly! Don't people remember all those Division titles Gardy won... Oh yeah and then they got their clocks cleaned in the playoffs. So people want to say 2011 and 2012 are not his fault but would say he was a great manager when they won all those AL Central titles. You can't have it both ways, it is time for a change whether it is not his fault. I would be happy to see some new blood finally so the Twins can turn/burn these horrible years from our memories and start clean in 2013 and contend once again.

BYE BYE Gardy and take Nicky with you..
    Agreed. But I don't think Gardy is going to be gone next year. I wouldn't be surprised if after the 2013 season when Gardy's contract is up, he "decides to" retire. So, not officially fired and didn't officially quit. That's just how I see things playing out.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Agreed. But I don't think Gardy is going to be gone next year. I wouldn't be surprised if after the 2013 season when Gardy's contract is up, he "decides to" retire. So, not officially fired and didn't officially quit. That's just how I see things playing out.
    MLB managers dont go into their last yr of contract without any extension....either give one or let him go.
    Can see them givin him an extension as it the 'good ole boys' network here, but if TRyan wants to 'nut up'...you just dont extend him & Gardy will step down.
    Unfortunately, Blackburn had 82 pitches tonight in 7 IP 5h 3r 1er 3k 1bb.....be back soon AAAARRRRGHHHHHh

Quote Originally Posted by kirbyelway View Post
    Ummmm......we are pretty much stuck with him, so hopefully he can regain his form and give us a mid 4 ERA and be a 4 5 guy for us next year.
    Since we moved in Target Field (notorious pitchers park)....2 1/2yrs so far....Blackburn has 65starts 5.51ERA in 372.2 IP 467hits 174k 118bb
    Is there ANYTHING in those numbers that makes you think he can be even below average instead of horrible???
    The guy will be 31 next year & the ONLY reason he's still in majors is Bill Smith contract he gave out.
    With the theory about regaining his form, why not get Kevin Slowey back also??

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    With the theory about regaining his form, why not get Kevin Slowey back also??

While most MLB teams look for ways to field competitive teams, the Twins - and many of the bloggers here - insist on picking through the dung pile for kernels of undigested corn. Keep up the comedy, gang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast