Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Glen Perkins interview on Fangraphs

  1. #1
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,622
    Like
    834
    Liked 605 Times in 232 Posts

    Glen Perkins interview on Fangraphs

    Pretty interesting.

    Q&A: Glen Perkins, Stud Reliever & Stat Geek




    Here's a follow-up audio interview on Fangraphs where Perkins answers the fan questions.

    FanGraphs Audio: Glen Perkins Answers Reader Qs
    Last edited by snepp; 07-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  2. #2
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,692
    Like
    32
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Huh. Really interesting article and it's hard to argue with anything Glen is saying about advanced metrics. I'm impressed, particularly about his opinion on relievers and WAR.

    Also, I really enjoyed that he thinks Pitch/fx is a better indicator than video, which I've long thought should be a staple of any pitcher's offday research.

  3. #3
    If the front office knew how to use the internet, Perkins would be on the first flight back to Rochester after reading this nonsense.

  4. #4
    Glen is a very bright guy with a great head on his shoulders. I am not surprised by his ability to digest this type of information and use it to his advantage. My older brother played with Glen from 8th grade through High School in a winter Dome league at the old Rice street dome, and even back then you could tell he was going to go far in baseball.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator All-Star
    Posts
    3,415
    Like
    167
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    he's the next to get the Kevin Slowey treatment.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    301
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauerzy4Prez View Post
    Glen is a very bright guy with a great head on his shoulders. I am not surprised by his ability to digest this type of information and use it to his advantage. My older brother played with Glen from 8th grade through High School in a winter Dome league at the old Rice street dome, and even back then you could tell he was going to go far in baseball.
    Yeah, I'm sure that was real tough to spot.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    he's the next to get the Kevin Slowey treatment.
    Wait didn't Slowey get the Glen Perkins treatment?
    The difference of course being Perkins nutted up and became a very nice asset to the team in the pen, while Slowey sulked, got traded, and showed the Twins there massive mistake by immediately getting let go by the Rockies and sent to AAA by the Indians were he has posted a robust 5.14 ERA!

    Stupid Twins!

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I always find it amusing when people get their undies in a bunch after a player mentions an advanced stat. And to top it off, it is then used as an excuse to bludgeon the Twins front office some more.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Wait didn't Slowey get the Glen Perkins treatment?
    The difference of course being Perkins nutted up and became a very nice asset to the team in the pen, while Slowey sulked, got traded, and showed the Twins there massive mistake by immediately getting let go by the Rockies and sent to AAA by the Indians were he has posted a robust 5.14 ERA!

    Stupid Twins!
    Yeah but I think he did go mountain climbing with RA Dickey.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,508
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Shores, Esq View Post
    If the front office knew how to use the internet, Perkins would be on the first flight back to Rochester after reading this nonsense.
    Front office guy #1: "What is Perk talking about?"

    Front office guy #2: "Its on the internet, I bet its about computers or game boy."

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I always find it amusing when people get their undies in a bunch after a player mentions an advanced stat. And to top it off, it is then used as an excuse to bludgeon the Twins front office some more.
    Yeah the whole "Derp the Twins are in the stone age when it comes to statistical analysis Derp is not only incorrect but getting very old quickly "

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    563
    Like
    13
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Bill Smith promised the Staff that the Web TV will be fixed by next Tuesday.

  13. #13
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,509
    Like
    2,330
    Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Interesting article. Perkins seems to spend a lot of time on the internet. I wonder if he ever reads Twins Daily.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,508
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Bill Smith promised the Staff that the Web TV will be fixed by next Tuesday.
    He never understood why the guys liked cobwebs so much.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,508
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Interesting article. Perkins seems to spend a lot of time on the internet. I wonder if he ever reads Twins Daily.
    You'd be surprised at how many players read forums. I'd be willing to bet he knows of Twins Daily, and might be an occasional lurker.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    You'd be surprised at how many players read forums. I'd be willing to bet he knows of Twins Daily, and might be an occasional lurker.
    He definately read BYTO

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Its funny to read some of the comments here again after reading Ryan's fangraphs interview and to learn what he truly thinks about statistical analysis.

  18. #18
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,622
    Like
    834
    Liked 605 Times in 232 Posts
    Here's a follow-up audio interview on Fangraphs where Perkins answers the fan questions.

    FanGraphs Audio: Glen Perkins Answers Reader Qs

    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,508
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Its funny to read some of the comments here again after reading Ryan's fangraphs interview and to learn what he truly thinks about statistical analysis.
    I don't really care either way. I just think its funny to act like they don't know anything.

  20. #20
    The audio interview is pretty damning regarding the Twins lack of statistical analysis. Glen basically admitted they were behind the times in not even having a SABR guy on staff until late 2011. It is usually really bad when a player is willing to admit that. Also stated something like they only have the one guy and maybe another guy who knows advanced stats, Yikes. Other MLB teams have had "Stats/SABR" guys on staff for 10 years and the Twins are finally joining the party? I bet the Rays have 10 Stats guys on hand.

    I really like Perkins' game and honesty in these interviews. His answers give me little hope in Terry and his Good Old Boys and further proves that a complete overhaul of the FO and scouting department is needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.