Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by alarp33 View Post
    It seems like almost every poster in this thread has ignored Arcia. I would be much more excited about a Arcia, Hicks, Benson outfield in 2014. If Revere is one of the starters in 2014 he will have proven me very wrong, or one of the other prospects must have fizzled out

I'm with you alarp. Revere should keep improving so we can trade him in the next 2 years. That's where his value will be IMO.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 754 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alarp33 View Post
    It seems like almost every poster in this thread has ignored Arcia. I would be much more excited about a Arcia, Hicks, Benson outfield in 2014. If Revere is one of the starters in 2014 he will have proven me very wrong, or one of the other prospects must have fizzled out

I'm with you. Revere is playing well enough that we could get something decent for Span, but if Revere is here in 2014, he's a fourth OF. When these guys are ready, Revere either gets traded (if he has value) or he settles into being one of the better 4th OFs in the game. Arcia, I should note, was a CF up until recently too, so it isn't as though he's a Cuddy type runner out there.

Re: Hicks's splits "evening out".

The batted ball profiles are still quite different RH v. LH. He just doesn't square the ball up much from the left [edit for brainfart] side, and most of his value there has come from walking a ton.

Unfortunately, his K/AB (a far better measure than K/PA for evaluating/projecting minor league hitting talent) from the left [edit for brainfart] side is sitting at 28.4% thus far in 2012, which is well above the red flag line. When you have whiffage like that, BB numbers tend to disappear as you climb the levels barring elite power, which he's not close to showing (as a LHB [edit for brainfart]). The fact that he's maintained the super-elite walk rate in his jump to AA is certainly worth noting, but the gap in pitchers' command between AA and MLB is huge. Still just 22 though...
    Last edited by tobynotjason; 07-10-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Hicks
    Big-city snobs.

See? Two can play at this game.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,525 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobynotjason View Post
    Re: Hicks's splits "evening out".

The batted ball profiles are still quite different RH v. LH. He just doesn't square the ball up much from the right side, and most of his value there has come from walking a ton.

Unfortunately, his K/AB (a far better measure than K/PA for evaluating/projecting minor league hitting talent) from the right side is sitting at 28.4% thus far in 2012, which is well above the red flag line. When you have whiffage like that, BB numbers tend to disappear as you climb the levels barring elite power, which he's not close to showing (as a RHB). The fact that he's maintained the super-elite walk rate in his jump to AA is certainly worth noting, but the gap in pitchers' command between AA and MLB is huge. Still just 22 though...
    It's still a significant improvement over what he has shown in the past. He has a long way to go but at least he's not pulling a Joe Benson right now.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    It's still a significant improvement over what he has shown in the past. He has a long way to go but at least he's not pulling a Joe Benson right now.
    No, it isn't. Last year his K/AB as a LHB was 27.5%.

(If you meant something else, apologies, but his awful K/AB ratio was the point/raison d'etre of my post. Certainly he is squaring up a bit more [15.9 v. 12.7%] v. RHP [apologies for the "as" vs. "vs" brainfarts above] on balls in play, but his overall profile v. RHP right now doesn't project well at all.)
    Last edited by tobynotjason; 07-10-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobynotjason View Post
    No, it isn't. Last year his K/AB as a LHB was 27.5%.

(If you meant something else, apologies, but his awful K/AB ratio was the point/raison d'etre of my post. Certainly he is squaring up a bit more [15.9 v. 12.7%] v. RHP [apologies for the "as" vs. "vs" brainfarts above] on balls in play, but his overall profile v. RHP right now doesn't project well at all.)
    I meant that when he makes contact, the ball is going further than it did in previous seasons. Also, the increased patience is an improvement. It's often one that doesn't stick but, again, at least he isn't going the other direction. He's still only 22. There's a lot to be positive about with his current play even if he hasn't sorted out all his problems against righties.

This post has taught me we have a TON of talented outfielders!! Do we trade any for talented arms sometime soon?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Very quietly Hicks has closed out his frist half of the AA season with pretty respectable numbers.

He now has a .271/358/433 line and has already tied his career high with 8 HR, also he has 18 SB and from all reports is already major league ready defensively.

Once upon a time not to long ago Hicks was the clear #1 in the Twins system and is still relatively young at 22. It seems like most of the love these days is going towards the Sano/Arcia/Rosario Trio, but with Hicks emergence the Twins now have 5 guys (including Buxton) who should most certainly crack the majority of the top 100 lists heading into next season. (I'd also add that Gibson IMO is still a top 100 guy the second he gets back from the injury)

What are the odds that Hicks can be on the Twins major league roster by next May?
    I just love this line " and from all reports is already major league ready defensively". Hmmm so what does that mean he has mastered the skill of catching a fly ball and throwing it. LOL

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    I just love this line " and from all reports is already major league ready defensively". Hmmm so what does that mean he has mastered the skill of catching a fly ball and throwing it. LOL
    More or less he has proven capable of taking good solid routes to fly balls/line drives to the outfied. But to be fair they were saying he was a major league ready CF (defensively) a year or two ago.

The point being, if he can even manage to hit close to league average he will be a valuable major leaguer overall. If his bat/power continues to improve he could be something very special when he makes it to the show.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hicks also has a powerful arm

Aaron Hicks has the same kind of speed as Denard Span, plus a considerably better arm. Probably not as high an average, but more pop in his bat, and he's a switch hitter. The Twins look pretty stacked near term in the outfield with guys like Hicks, Benson, Arcia and Buxton coming up in the next few years. Should be interesting.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 754 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Aaron Hicks has the same kind of speed as Denard Span, plus a considerably better arm. Probably not as high an average, but more pop in his bat, and he's a switch hitter. The Twins look pretty stacked near term in the outfield with guys like Hicks, Benson, Arcia and Buxton coming up in the next few years. Should be interesting.

Buxton is at least 4 years out. Though you should add Benson to this list... Not quite ready to write him off just yet. Yes, OF looks very nice. If Revere continues this, he's going to be a very nice trade piece when Hicks is ready to go. I'm still loving an OF of Arcia/Hicks/Benson... well above average at the plate and in the field.

I'm interested to see if Tom Brunansky can get even more out of Aaron Hicks in AAA next year, given his recent success with guys like Plouffe and Revere. This recent performance with Hicks has been very reassuring after last season.

It's a stretch to put Revere's year on Tom Brunansky. Revere's had success at every level he's played at professionally. His one mediocre year was his rookie year - not all that out of the ordinary. But I certainly hope that Hicks finds that next gear, and hopefully there's a hitting coach out there that can help.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One other interesting piece of this is that these players are moving up the ladder. For several years people have talked about the talent for the Twins all being in the lower levels of the minors and now this is all starting to bubble up. Next year Arcia and Hicks at least will be at AAA with Benson possibly, at least one will probably be spending significant time in Minnesota. Sano and Rosario will be at A+ and might get to AA by the end of the year, I actually hold out more hope for Rosario making that transistion quicker if he can get off the DL in Beloit soon. Behind them you have Harrison, Goodrum, Kepler and Buxton in Low A next year along with a whole bunch of arms from this years draft. That is a pretty good pipeline for 2014 onward. I have not even mentioned some prospects of various standing like Tosoni, Micheal, Hermann, Ortiz and Santana. The narrative on the Twins minor leagues is in transition this year. Also expect that at the current pace the Twins will have another Top 10 draft pick in what maybe a better class next year, with what looks like two high draft picks from this year dropping back in possibly. These are all ifs, performance can go south on any of these players, injuries can happen any game, ceilings can suddenly be reached and players plateau at AAA, and you can never predict what goes on in the brain on a 19-22 year old male that can lead to trouble. But the outfield and parts of the infield are looking hopeful.

Pitching...well maybe we can get something for Span, Willingham and any other spare parts to help and possibly catch lightning in a bottle like we did with Johan, Frankie, Nathan and possibly Diamond.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2014 lineup?

CF- Hicks
    LF- Benson
    1B- Mauer
    DH- Willingham
    RF- Arcia
    3B- Plouffe
    C- Doumit
    SS- Dozier
    2B- Rosario? Not impossible but highly unlikely. Stopgap for Rosario the following year.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    There's a lot more to centerfield than catching a ball and throwing it. More than a corner spot, routes are crucial and it's easier to get your feet turned in the wrong direction in center field. A split second of hesitation and that relatively easy catch turns into a double.

There's a reason why a lot of guys aren't center fielders and it's not only their range and arm.

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterGroove View Post
    It's a stretch to put Revere's year on Tom Brunansky. Revere's had success at every level he's played at professionally. His one mediocre year was his rookie year - not all that out of the ordinary. But I certainly hope that Hicks finds that next gear, and hopefully there's a hitting coach out there that can help.
    I know, but I believe Revere had mentioned working with Brunansky specifically, he helped to make his swing more compact and tweaked a couple other things. Either way, Brunansky is a good hitting coach. Hicks will benefit from his instruction.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 510 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWLFan View Post
    One other interesting piece of this is that these players are moving up the ladder. For several years people have talked about the talent for the Twins all being in the lower levels of the minors and now this is all starting to bubble up. Next year Arcia and Hicks at least will be at AAA with Benson possibly, at least one will probably be spending significant time in Minnesota. Sano and Rosario will be at A+ and might get to AA by the end of the year, I actually hold out more hope for Rosario making that transistion quicker if he can get off the DL in Beloit soon. Behind them you have Harrison, Goodrum, Kepler and Buxton in Low A next year along with a whole bunch of arms from this years draft. That is a pretty good pipeline for 2014 onward. I have not even mentioned some prospects of various standing like Tosoni, Micheal, Hermann, Ortiz and Santana. The narrative on the Twins minor leagues is in transition this year. Also expect that at the current pace the Twins will have another Top 10 draft pick in what maybe a better class next year, with what looks like two high draft picks from this year dropping back in possibly. These are all ifs, performance can go south on any of these players, injuries can happen any game, ceilings can suddenly be reached and players plateau at AAA, and you can never predict what goes on in the brain on a 19-22 year old male that can lead to trouble. But the outfield and parts of the infield are looking hopeful.

Pitching...well maybe we can get something for Span, Willingham and any other spare parts to help and possibly catch lightning in a bottle like we did with Johan, Frankie, Nathan and possibly Diamond.
    Tosoni is runnerup to Benson for the "worst year of my career" award. He is going backwards in the org, suffered injuries and not hit anywhere, except for his last day in AAA, when he went 5-5 and then was demoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    2014 lineup?

CF- Hicks
    LF- Benson
    1B- Mauer
    DH- Willingham
    RF- Arcia
    3B- Plouffe
    C- Doumit
    SS- Dozier
    2B- Rosario? Not impossible but highly unlikely. Stopgap for Rosario the following year.
    Doumit being our starting catcher in 2 years is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast