Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Hicks

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,999
    Like
    104
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts

    Hicks

    Very quietly Hicks has closed out his frist half of the AA season with pretty respectable numbers.

    He now has a .271/358/433 line and has already tied his career high with 8 HR, also he has 18 SB and from all reports is already major league ready defensively.

    Once upon a time not to long ago Hicks was the clear #1 in the Twins system and is still relatively young at 22. It seems like most of the love these days is going towards the Sano/Arcia/Rosario Trio, but with Hicks emergence the Twins now have 5 guys (including Buxton) who should most certainly crack the majority of the top 100 lists heading into next season. (I'd also add that Gibson IMO is still a top 100 guy the second he gets back from the injury)

    What are the odds that Hicks can be on the Twins major league roster by next May?

  2. #2
    Don't sell him short, I'm seeing .275/.365/.446 with 9 homers and 19 SB. Personally, I think he's still the Twins top prospect.

  3. #3
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,520
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I had him as my #4 Twins prospect but it had more to do with the guys in front of him. He's really a good prospect. He's putting it together, and don't look now, but his splits are evening out as well (LH/RH).

  4. #4
    Hicks needs to be added to the 40 man roster this winter, so he will be a Sept callup .....not May of next yr. That could be when he is called up for his first 'real' shot tho.

  5. #5
    I've been pleasantly surprised with Hicks the last several weeks. As Seth noted, the splits -- which had been a big issue -- are beginning to even out. That's a major factor in his development, in my opinion.

    I'm not ready to see him in a Twins uniform this season, but maybe he'll be a Sept. call-up.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Does this enter into the decision that must be made on Span? If Hicks had not developed this year or even regressed would that have changed the organizations view of what to do with Span?

    Personally I will always take the proven commodity over the unproven. At this point we hope that Hicks will turn into a younger version of Span. I would not trade Span unless we get a deal for a pitcher or two that we just can't turn down. I can understand if he is traded, but that is not a route I would take.

  7. #7
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,757
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    Does this enter into the decision that must be made on Span? If Hicks had not developed this year or even regressed would that have changed the organizations view of what to do with Span?

    Personally I will always take the proven commodity over the unproven. At this point we hope that Hicks will turn into a younger version of Span. I would not trade Span unless we get a deal for a pitcher or two that we just can't turn down. I can understand if he is traded, but that is not a route I would take.
    I would say this definitely is related. Just about the time that Hicks was inserted into the leadoff spot, June 20, the Rock Cats have been on a 16-4 run. His July numbers are sizzling: 395/477/684/1161.

  8. #8
    AA to big leagues can go very quickly, we should see him late this year especially if Benson continues to be hurt/bad. If Span is traded he gets a real shot to be every day CF next year.

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,601
    Like
    21
    Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mchans24 View Post
    AA to big leagues can go very quickly, we should see him late this year especially if Benson continues to be hurt/bad. If Span is traded he gets a real shot to be every day CF next year.
    Hicks in CF over Revere? Without having seen him play I'm giving the edge to Revere for CF, plus Hicks's arm plays better in RF. I've been impressed with Hicks lately. He seems to have turned some kind of corner like we've seen others do in AA. Hopefully this is for real and not just a hot streak. I still give the edge to Benson to start with the Twins, but Hicks is making a nice case. Benson just needs some time to get back into the groove.

  10. #10
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,757
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Hicks in CF over Revere? Without having seen him play I'm giving the edge to Revere for CF, plus Hicks's arm plays better in RF. I've been impressed with Hicks lately. He seems to have turned some kind of corner like we've seen others do in AA. Hopefully this is for real and not just a hot streak. I still give the edge to Benson to start with the Twins, but Hicks is making a nice case. Benson just needs some time to get back into the groove.
    I just checked his stats within a day of when he moved into the leadoff spot on June 20: 354/433/632. It will be interesting to find out who gets the Sep. call-ups and who gets thrown in as sweeteners in July and August trades. If the Twins stick with Revere, he has to end up full-time in CF eventually. I could see Willingham begin to transition to more DH duties in '13 and especially '14 if any of the above, plus Arcia, begin to project being ready to stick on the ML roster. Personally, I'd like to see all 3, plus Revere and Willingham, no later than 2014, but that doesn't work when Gardy says you must have 3 catchers. It probably means someone ends up as the odd man out, and we might find out sooner rather than later.

  11. #11
    I think Benson is the only guy they would consider throwing in as a sweetener at this point and his value is at a low. Yes, I thought about Revere vs Hicks in CF I don't think you go wrong either way. If you look to 2014 you have to expect Revere in left, Hicks in CF and Sano in RF if everything works out, so why play Hicks and Revere out of position for a year. Hicks/sano provide enough power to make up for Revere playing corner outfield position. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself there but trying to think long term.

  12. #12
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,757
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mchans24 View Post
    I think Benson is the only guy they would consider throwing in as a sweetener at this point and his value is at a low. Yes, I thought about Revere vs Hicks in CF I don't think you go wrong either way. If you look to 2014 you have to expect Revere in left, Hicks in CF and Sano in RF if everything works out, so why play Hicks and Revere out of position for a year. Hicks/sano provide enough power to make up for Revere playing corner outfield position. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself there but trying to think long term.

    Willingham? 2014 is last year of his contract. Things would have to work out really well to see Sano in RF in 2014. I think he ends up at 1B. Arcia is gone in your scenario?
    Last edited by jokin; 07-10-2012 at 12:03 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,295
    Like
    35
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I'm not sure if there has ever been a prospect that caused fans emotions to swing as high or low as Hicks due to hot/cold streaks. Now if he can just avoid that ice cold streak.

    Imo there is no reason to call up Hicks/Arcia this year due to the sad truth of baseball economics. Hopefully we don't have to wait for the super 2 deadline to pass next summer though for Hicks. I would be surprised if Arcia was up before then.

  14. #14
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,385
    Like
    419
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Hicks seems to have done a better job avoiding the ice streak... lots of 1/4 in his slumps instead of 0/4... that said, his emergence has me liking their future OF of Hicks/Arcia/Benson, all of which could be above average offensively and defensively. I'm not quite ready to give up on Joe just yet, though he's pretty clearly not ready for the show... I'm guessing Hicks is similar... I'd simply move him to Rochester next season and find some filler in 2013 if Span is traded. If Benson, Hicks, and Arcia are all hitting well next season, you have reason to trade Revere and get two of them playing every day.

  15. #15
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,582
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Hicks has more upside than Span because he could/should have double digit home run power. It also looks like he could be a bigger force on the bases than Denard. The question is whether a big league team can have an OF with both Revere and Hicks in it. If Hicks can get 45-50 XBH, it would be doable and would make it tough to hit the gaps with great range from both Hicks and Revere.

  16. #16
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,582
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Mentioning a Hicks/Revere combo in the OF brings me to the dream of having a starting OF of Benson, Revere, and Hicks. It would be fun to see three center fielders patrolling the big outfield in Minnesota.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,684
    Like
    309
    Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Mentioning a Hicks/Revere combo in the OF brings me to the dream of having a starting OF of Benson, Revere, and Hicks. It would be fun to see three center fielders patrolling the big outfield in Minnesota.
    At this point, I'd be happy if Benson just became the weaker half of a RF platoon split.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Mentioning a Hicks/Revere combo in the OF brings me to the dream of having a starting OF of Benson, Revere, and Hicks. It would be fun to see three center fielders patrolling the big outfield in Minnesota.
    This.

    It's going to be fun in a few years to watch young speedy outfielders with pretty exceptional arms (sans Revere) at TF. I believe the days of the fleet footed Willinghams,Youngs and Cuddyers in the OF are nearly over. I think people in the organization are starting to realize that oufield defense and pitching need to be two of our strengths at TF after playing there for a couple of seasons now. I guess if the pitching improved(k-rates/gb-rates) then the outfield defense wouldn't be such an issue.

    By 2015 we could see any number of these OF'ers patrolling the grounds at TF, which would be exciting. (Span, Revere, Hicks, Arcia, Benson, Buxton, + the possibility of Rosario returning to the OF still exists.)

    Personally, I would love to see Revere/Hicks/Benson soon, and by 2016 the idea of Benson/Buxton/Hicks makes me salivate.

  19. #19
    It seems like almost every poster in this thread has ignored Arcia. I would be much more excited about a Arcia, Hicks, Benson outfield in 2014. If Revere is one of the starters in 2014 he will have proven me very wrong, or one of the other prospects must have fizzled out

  20. #20
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,582
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    This.

    It's going to be fun in a few years to watch young speedy outfielders with pretty exceptional arms (sans Revere) at TF. I believe the days of the fleet footed Willinghams,Youngs and Cuddyers in the OF are nearly over. I think people in the organization are starting to realize that oufield defense and pitching need to be two of our strengths at TF after playing there for a couple of seasons now. I guess if the pitching improved(k-rates/gb-rates) then the outfield defense wouldn't be such an issue.

    By 2015 we could see any number of these OF'ers patrolling the grounds at TF, which would be exciting. (Span, Revere, Hicks, Arcia, Benson, Buxton, + the possibility of Rosario returning to the OF still exists.)

    Personally, I would love to see Revere/Hicks/Benson soon, and by 2016 the idea of Benson/Buxton/Hicks makes me salivate.
    The Benson, Buxton, Hickses of the world also offer something we have seen precious little of for a long time. Those guys figure to be able change or win a ballgame with their legs, their bats, and their arms. We have seen so many guys with one tool of speed or power it would be nice to see guys who can run AND hit with power--not necessarily 40 homers, but double digits and the same for stolen bases and taking extra bases. My personal pet peeve is seeing outfielders cheating in on Twins' less than power hitters--Carroll, Revere, Punto etc.--and that is compounded when a Morneau or Doumit gets on base and can't take an extra base ever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.