Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

Thread: Appel not signing?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Posts
    147
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Appel not signing?

    According to Jon Heyman (via mlbtraderumors--link below), Appel is leaning against signing with the Pirates, because he wants more than the 3.84m bonus the Pirates can give, and not surrender a first round pick. I'm not sure I understand this move; isn't next year's different class, at least at this point, considered a stronger one than this year's? Therefore wouldn't Appel project to fall right aroudn this spot again, or does he think he'll be able to improve his stock that much in one year? Furthermore, doesn't the fact that he exhausts his eligibility at Stanford next year reduce his bargaining power? Basically, it seems like Appel, thanks to Scott Boras, is walking away from nearly 4 million dollars gauranteed, in the hopes that he moves up to the 1st-3rd slot. Maybe I'm missing something, but if I'm not, I'm kinda surprised, because I thought Stanford was supposed to be for smart kids.

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...medium=twitter

  2. #2
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    493
    Like
    2
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Isn't Heyman known as a mouthpiece for Boras? Could be a negotiating ploy, though I'm not sure to what end. Appel would have to be insane to walk away from that kind of money.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Just out of curiousity, if he is drafted in similar position next year, and again chooses not to sign, how long before he can sign with anyone as a free agent? 1 year?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    582
    Like
    25
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    I wonder if we can look forward to seeing him in a Saint Paul Saints Uniform.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    585
    Like
    11
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    I haven't seen one respected writer suggest that next years class looks stronger, so that may be the only thing Appel has going for him. Even if the draft class in the same or even weeker than this year, its still a stupid risk for Appel.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,467
    Like
    66
    Liked 144 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    30
    It is well documented that 2012 class was the weakest in a decade. It was especially weak in the top 10 and became weaker when Giolito injured his arm. Appel has to realize that he likely will not go any higher in next year's draft. Even a below average group will be better than this year's group. I wonder if Boras' plan is to test this case in court and try to make him a free agent.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    926
    Like
    40
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Another signing period, another high prospect threatening up to the last moment that he won't sign. Wake me up when he hasn't signed after the 14th.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  8. #8
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,007
    Like
    4,313
    Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here is a link to an ESPN article about next year's draft class. http://espn.go.com/high-school/baseb...layer-rankings

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Here's another thing Appel might want to think about if he's hoping to go go high next year and get a big signing bonus - he will then have a track record of being difficult to sign, which may cause other teams to look elsewhere. My guess, if he goes into next year's draft, is he falls again to mid 1st round.

  10. #10
    Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    574
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    427
    He better just take the large amount of money the Pirates are offering and start playing his professional career.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Just out of curiousity, if he is drafted in similar position next year, and again chooses not to sign, how long before he can sign with anyone as a free agent? 1 year?
    I am curious about that too, if he falls in next years draft due to signability concerns or injury, his slot amount might be less than what he could get if he waited a year (if that is the time) and opened up the bidding to all teams.

    Of course I doubt it would be any where near the 3.8M he potentially is turning down now.

  12. #12
    Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,895
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Like
    1
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Another signing period, another high prospect threatening up to the last moment that he won't sign. Wake me up when he hasn't signed after the 14th.
    Agreed. All of the unsigned guys - as of now - aren't gonna sign. And of the big names (Appel, Gausman and Giolito), Appel has by far the least leverage.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,617
    Like
    257
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    It is well documented that 2012 class was the weakest in a decade. It was especially weak in the top 10 and became weaker when Giolito injured his arm. Appel has to realize that he likely will not go any higher in next year's draft. Even a below average group will be better than this year's group. I wonder if Boras' plan is to test this case in court and try to make him a free agent.
    Klaw mentioned that (while it's still early) Appel would probably be #1 in next years draft, too.

    While I generally agree with the sentiment that he should take the 3.8m and start his career, it is conceivable that he could make more if he doesn't sign. I think the risk is too much and wouldn't do it but I'm not him. Cubs could take him in the top 3 for instance and pay him 5-6m pretty easily. And while he lacks some leverage, I don't think any team taking him next year would try to screw him over by giving him a lowball offer or not intending to sign him - esp since Boras is such an important agent in all of baseball. He could slide but I think teams will be better prepared for sliding players next year.

  14. #14
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,013
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,511 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Klaw mentioned that (while it's still early) Appel would probably be #1 in next years draft, too.

    While I generally agree with the sentiment that he should take the 3.8m and start his career, it is conceivable that he could make more if he doesn't sign. I think the risk is too much and wouldn't do it but I'm not him. Cubs could take him in the top 3 for instance and pay him 5-6m pretty easily. And while he lacks some leverage, I don't think any team taking him next year would try to screw him over by giving him a lowball offer or not intending to sign him - esp since Boras is such an important agent in all of baseball. He could slide but I think teams will be better prepared for sliding players next year.
    An extra year of free agency after his six year service time is worth up to ten times more than any additional bonus he'll get for holding out.

  15. #15
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,435
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Just out of curiousity, if he is drafted in similar position next year, and again chooses not to sign, how long before he can sign with anyone as a free agent? 1 year?
    Unless there is a court case of some sort, he would never become a free agent. If he doesn't sign this July, he would go back into next year's draft. If he doesn't sign then, he would go back into the next draft. And on and on.

  16. #16
    New system.....which most of us love.....could be the end of Scott Boros style agents in the draft. Boros, not Appel, cost the pitcher several slots in this draft.....meaning millions

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    585
    Like
    11
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    New system.....which most of us love.....could be the end of Scott Boros style agents in the draft. Boros, not Appel, cost the pitcher several slots in this draft.....meaning millions
    Yep, If I were a big time draft prospect I don't even think I would hire an agent (by that I mean listen to an advisor). In fact I would probably just wait until I made my big league debut before I started looking into agents.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,617
    Like
    257
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketpig View Post
    An extra year of free agency after his six year service time is worth up to ten times more than any additional bonus he'll get for holding out.
    Only if his body holds up after all those years. Mark Prior's signing bonus was almost as much as his entire career earnings.

    (That's why I'd take the 3.8m now rather than risk another year of college ball but there is some sense in trying to make as much as you can now instead of hoping for a major payoff 6-9 years from now).

  19. #19
    Senior Member Double-A Musk21's Avatar
    Posts
    124
    Like
    1
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I guess God's plan for him was to turn down almost $4 million in hopes of an extra few million next year. God is great! And works in mysterious ways!
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

  20. #20
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,013
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,511 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Only if his body holds up after all those years. Mark Prior's signing bonus was almost as much as his entire career earnings.

    (That's why I'd take the 3.8m now rather than risk another year of college ball but there is some sense in trying to make as much as you can now instead of hoping for a major payoff 6-9 years from now).
    The key difference is that now, signing bonuses are slotted. That limits what Appel can get in the first place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.